Author Topic: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )  (Read 1331372 times)

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC
« Reply #6525 on: December 10, 2013, 11:04:06 AM »
Ives Galarcep ?@SoccerByIves 4m
Bayern boss confirms MLS All-Star Game match-up: http://bit.ly/1bAcFQz

Man. Wish we had Bayern instead of Roma. Was still cool to see Michael Bradley and Totti though. But Bayern is the best team in the world...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: December 10, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
Quote from: MLS Re-Entry draft
Chicago Fire (9): M Corben Bone, D Shaun Francis, M Joel Lindpere, M Daniel Paladini, M Logan Pause, M Chris Rolfe, F Maicon Santos, M Wells Thompson*, M Michael Videira

Chivas USA (3): D Ante Jazic*, D Steve Purdy, M Josue Soto

Columbus Crew (2): M Danny O'Rourke, M Konrad Warzycha

Colorado Rapids (3): GK Steward Ceus, D Brian Mullan, M Jamie Smith

D.C. United (6): M Dwayne De Rosario, D James Riley, F Carlos Ruiz, M Marcelo Saragosa, M John Thorrington, D Daniel Woolard

FC Dallas (3): F Kenny Cooper, M David Ferreira, D Ugo Ihemelu

Houston Dynamo (5): D Bobby Boswell*, F Calen Carr*, D Mike Chabala, M Alex Dixon, F Cam Weaver

LA Galaxy (4): M Colin Clark, M Laurent Courtois, D Sean Franklin, M Pablo Mastroeni*

Montreal Impact (1): M Sinisa Ubiparipovic

New England Revolution (5): D Kevin Alston*, F Chad Barrett, F Ryan Guy, M Clyde Simms, M Juan Toja

New York Red Bulls (5): F Andre Akpan*, D Brandon Barklage, F Fabian Espindola, GK Kevin Hartman, D Heath Pearce*

Philadelphia Union (1): D Chris Albright*

Portland Timbers (2): D David Horst, D Ryan Miller

Real Salt Lake (4): M Yordany Alvarez, D Brandon McDonald, GK Josh Saunders, M Khari Stephenson

Seattle Sounders (6): D Marc Burch, GK Josh Ford, M Blair Gavin, M Mauro Rosales, F Steve Zakuani*

San Jose Earthquakes (4): D Nana Attakora, M Mehdi Ballouchy*, D Dan Gargan, GK Evan Newton

Toronto FC (2): F Justin Braun*, M Bobby Convey

Vancouver Whitecaps (4): GK Joe Cannon, F Tommy Heinemann, F Corey Hertzog, GK Brad Knighton

I bolded players that don't suck in my opinion. Lindpere and Zakuani would be great options for us at left winger. Lindpere had a terrible 2013 though, and Zakuani has had a really tough time coming back from his horrific broken leg in 2012. A few of those players like David Ferreira Dwayne De Rosario used to be amazing (both former MVPs) but now aren't that great.

We won't get anyone worth a crap though because we pick 19th/19. Probably won't take anyone. Lol at Bobby Convey. Mauro Rosales is gone. That puts Seattle's DPs at Obafemi Martins (rumored to be leaving) and Dempsey. EJ is either leaving (they're shopping him) and they're bringing in someone like Eto'o or they're going to give EJ their third DP slot.

Most of you probably don't give a eff about any of this, but I love the off-season.

Man, wtf happened to Bobby Convey?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: December 10, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »
Anyone know where to get some champions swag? crap was sold out fast on Saturday, couldn't get in last night, online order was cancelled because they ran out too. Specifically a scarf

I also got a cancellation email for my scarf. I assume they'll be getting a shipment within a week. I'm just gonna keep checking Kansas Sampler and mlsgear.com.

Kansas Sampler has scarves in stock! http://www.rallyhouse.com/shop/sporting-kansas-city-adidas-14850961

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: December 10, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »

He sucks and can't stay healthy.

Also, I would be satisfied with Brad Knighton or Josh Saunders as well as Gspurning (who is my favorite) and Gruenebaum as replacements for Nielsen. Matt Pickens lost his starting job in Colorado to Clint Irwin last season. He would also make a good replacement. All are realistic gets imo.

Knighton and Saunders are in the re-entry draft, Gspurning's option was not picked up, and Pickens and Gruenebaum lost their spots to young GKs.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but Gruenebaum is a KC native. He's pretty damn good. Would take. However, all I named outside of Gspurning would be a slight drop off from Jimmy imo.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: December 10, 2013, 11:29:47 AM »

You are trying to build a league and it is starting to gain traction, but it can become a hard sell to get the average sports fan to come out in the 102 degree heat for a game vs Chivas after the faces of your franchise just up and leave to another league in another continent.

Building a relevant soccer league can't be easy.  Gaining traction in america has a lot of obstacles.  But, seeing where the MLS is today compared to the early 90s, i'd say they're doing a hell of a job. 

MLS has captured the die hards.  To take that next step, MLS needs to capture the generic sports fan.  IMO, this next step is gonna be very difficult as long as MLS remains a minor league system.  Don't know how they make it feasible, but have to be able to start buying better talent.   

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: December 10, 2013, 11:34:24 AM »
more fans per game than NHL and NBA tho

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: December 10, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »

TV contracts tho.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: December 10, 2013, 11:44:52 AM »
38 the spot tho

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: December 10, 2013, 11:45:44 AM »

Man. Wish we had Bayern instead of Roma. Was still cool to see Michael Bradley and Totti though. But Bayern is the best team in the world...

I would pay almost any amount of money to see a Bayern match in person...watching that style and play of soccer is just way better than what we're getting in the US right now. Plus, Bayern plays a really rough/physical style of soccer, which I happen to particularly enjoy.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: December 10, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »
John Ourand ?@Ourand_SBJ 26m
MLS Cup on ESPN drew 505K viewers on Saturday -- the same number as an Everybody Love Raymond repeat on TBS during the 2nd half.

lol

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: December 10, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »

TV contracts tho.

exactly.  TV contracts.  And currently, MLS isn't even in the same stratosphere as the Big 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL).  http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2013-09-09/mls-tv-ratings-lag-behind-other-league-milestones

And without the TV revenue, MLS owners surely can't buy better talent. 

Ps, on the attendance figures, MLS has better averages than NBA and NHL, but there are far fewer MLS games.  Per season there are 990 NBA, 720 NHL, and 323 MLS games. 

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: December 10, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »

I would pay almost any amount of money to see a Bayern match in person...watching that style and play of soccer is just way better than what we're getting in the US right now. Plus, Bayern plays a really rough/physical style of soccer, which I happen to particularly enjoy.

Yeah... So does MLS.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: December 10, 2013, 11:50:44 AM »

Also, I would be satisfied with Brad Knighton or Josh Saunders as well as Gspurning (who is my favorite) and Gruenebaum as replacements for Nielsen. Matt Pickens lost his starting job in Colorado to Clint Irwin last season. He would also make a good replacement. All are realistic gets imo.

Knighton and Saunders are in the re-entry draft, Gspurning's option was not picked up, and Pickens and Gruenebaum lost their spots to young GKs.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but Gruenebaum is a KC native. He's pretty damn good. Would take. However, all I named outside of Gspurning would be a slight drop off from Jimmy imo.

I'd love to see us go after Andre Blake out of UCONN. He's young and one of, if not THE, best GK's in the nation right now at the collegiate level. It'll take some development and have some growing pains, but he would be a major get for SKC.

Also on the wish list: Ryan Finley...this dude is an absolute stud

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: December 10, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »

TV contracts tho.

exactly.  TV contracts.  And currently, MLS isn't even in the same stratosphere as the Big 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL).  http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2013-09-09/mls-tv-ratings-lag-behind-other-league-milestones

And without the TV revenue, MLS owners surely can't buy better talent. 

Ps, on the attendance figures, MLS has better averages than NBA and NHL, but there are far fewer MLS games.  Per season there are 990 NBA, 720 NHL, and 323 MLS games.

Yep. Attendance is very insignificant compared to TV contracts. Sure, it makes the games more fun, but the difference in revenue from ticket sales of 15k people and 20k people is insignificant.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: December 10, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »

Yeah... So does MLS.

IMO, MLS style and Bundesliga style are apples and oranges.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6540 on: December 10, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »
John Ourand ?@Ourand_SBJ 26m
MLS Cup on ESPN drew 505K viewers on Saturday -- the same number as an Everybody Love Raymond repeat on TBS during the 2nd half.

lol

TAKE THAT SUPERSTATION!

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: December 10, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »

I'd love to see us go after Andre Blake out of UCONN. He's young and one of, if not THE, best GK's in the nation right now at the collegiate level. It'll take some development and have some growing pains, but he would be a major get for SKC.

Did not consider college keepers. Good point. We'll be 19th in the Superdraft though.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: December 10, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
They need to get some quality refs before the casual soccer fan will start watching MLS week in week out. Even as a diehard it's tough to watch MLS games sometimes. Bad refs ruin the flow of games

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: December 10, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »

Yeah... So does MLS.

IMO, MLS style and Bundesliga style are apples and oranges.

Agreed. Everyone knows Bayern is more fun to watch than MLS. You don't need to point it out.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: December 10, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »

Did not consider college keepers. Good point. We'll be 19th in the Superdraft though.

I'm not sure if Blake will fall low enough for us to pick him up...who do you think we're going after in the superdraft?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: December 10, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »

I'm not sure if Blake will fall low enough for us to pick him up...who do you think we're going after in the superdraft?

I don't know crap about college soccer.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: December 10, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »
Just looked. We don't have a 1st round pick as of now. First pick is 2nd round. 38th overall. NE got our first round pick in the Feilhaber trade.

We have 38, 41, 57, and 76.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: December 10, 2013, 12:13:17 PM »
Quote from: Robb Heineman
I wish him all the best, and I think there's a very good chance you're going to see Jimmy Nielsen doing something with the Sporting organization in the very near term.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: December 10, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
Former KC legend:

D.C. United ?@dcunited 1m
TRADE: #DCU acquires Davy Arnaud from @ImpactMontreal http://bit.ly/1gmoj5c  pic.twitter.com/e1byB8yI83

He will be a consistent starter, and he will get to play in the CONCACAF Champions League. Very happy for him. Was wasting away in Montreal. That rough ridin' coaching staff.... :curse:

Hopefully DC isn't the worst team in the league again next season.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: December 10, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
it's hard to become a fan of a team when the best players on the team strive to leave the team and go elsewhere.  for the casual fan, it makes attaching yourself to the team very difficult and what you're left with is fans of the game, not the team.  there's nothing MLS can do to prevent players from wanting to go to the bigger stages, i'm just highlighting a problem that they have when trying to grow the league.

you know next spring when the season kicks off, the majority of kansas city who jumped on the bandwagon sometime in the past couple months will be wondering wtf happened to "their" team.

Part of growing the league is selling the best players to better leagues and developing more talent. MLS is getting better every year in both areas. It's mutually beneficial for the players and owners. As a fan of SKC, you can take comfort in the fact that Robb cares about fans first. He realizes we are attached to these players. Sometimes, he has to do what's best for the individual player (like in Kei's case). But he kept Besler and Zusi here when they could easily be in England.

i know this.  that's why i said - "there's nothing MLS can do to prevent players from wanting to go to the bigger stages"....the MLS wants to promote their best players.  the issue is just inherent in the MLS's pecking order in the world and will never change.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.