Author Topic: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )  (Read 1331381 times)

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC
« Reply #1350 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:46 PM »
Meh, overall the quality of the MLS isn't that bad.

Top 10 league worldwide imo.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: November 08, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »

Idk man. Europe has a lot of leagues that are as good or better.

England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Russia, Ukraine, Portugal, Netherlands (I guess debatable but the best teams there - Ajax, PSV - are much better than any team here)

And there's also Argentina, Brazil, Japan. Mexico is better too.

MLS is easily top 20. But I don't think it has cracked the top ten yet.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: November 08, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »

England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Russia, Ukraine, Portugal, Netherlands (I guess debatable but the best teams there - Ajax, PSV - are much better than any team here)

Maybe it's me being an ignorant American but idk if I would put your last 3 above the MLS... and I definitely wouldn't put Argentina, Brazil, Japan, Mexico above it.

I'm also looking at the leagues top to bottom though, not based on their best few teams.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: November 08, 2012, 04:42:23 PM »
Mexican teams have been dominating the Concacaf champions league since it started.   

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: November 08, 2012, 05:36:18 PM »

Maybe it's me being an ignorant American but idk if I would put your last 3 above the MLS... and I definitely wouldn't put Argentina, Brazil, Japan, Mexico above it.

I'm also looking at the leagues top to bottom though, not based on their best few teams.

Agree to disagree but Argentina, Brazil, and Japan are great leagues. And I only say Mexico based on their consistent success in CONCACAF Champions League and MLS's lack of success.

Brazil's world-class talent nine times out of ten (probably ten) starts out young in the Ligo do Brasil. Also, it's very common to see their top talent come back to play as their career winds down (Ronaldinho, THE Ronaldo, Fabiano...)

I wouldn't call you ignorant at all. A lot of those leagues don't get any coverage here. But I still think they are very very good leagues. Some of the leagues' best teams are good enough that they make their whole league better than MLS. (For example, Shakhtar, Dynamo Kyiv, Zenit, Ajax, Benfica, Porto, Braga...)

Don't ask me to tell you about the J-League (Japan) because I don't know much. But from what I've seen and read, it's a top league in the world.

That said, MLS is my favorite league. I support Sporting KC first and foremost.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: November 08, 2012, 06:27:48 PM »
In all fairness I don't know a ton about some of the leagues you mentioned... and I rarely (if ever) watch their games.

And either way the MLS is getting better all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually became a top 5 league.

Here's hoping anyway  :crossfingers:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 08, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »
i watched 4 sporting games this season and saw them score 1 goal. what gives? (:DNR: pretty much entire thread)

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: November 08, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »
i watched 4 sporting games this season and saw them score 1 goal. what gives? (:DNR: pretty much entire thread)

They suck obvs.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 08, 2012, 07:40:02 PM »

as a sporting fan who wants them to win, please stop watching games

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: November 08, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »

as a sporting fan who wants them to win, please stop watching games

i completely agree. i basically accepted that i am their curse at the game last night.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: November 09, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »

Agree to disagree but Argentina, Brazil, and Japan are great leagues. And I only say Mexico based on their consistent success in CONCACAF Champions League and MLS's lack of success.

Brazil's world-class talent nine times out of ten (probably ten) starts out young in the Ligo do Brasil. Also, it's very common to see their top talent come back to play as their career winds down (Ronaldinho, THE Ronaldo, Fabiano...)

I wouldn't call you ignorant at all. A lot of those leagues don't get any coverage here. But I still think they are very very good leagues. Some of the leagues' best teams are good enough that they make their whole league better than MLS. (For example, Shakhtar, Dynamo Kyiv, Zenit, Ajax, Benfica, Porto, Braga...)

Don't ask me to tell you about the J-League (Japan) because I don't know much. But from what I've seen and read, it's a top league in the world.

That said, MLS is my favorite league. I support Sporting KC first and foremost.

Great analysis, and great avatar

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: soccer thread for arsenal fans and other fans of teams and EPL 2012/13
« Reply #1361 on: November 11, 2012, 10:26:24 PM »

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: November 12, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
 :gocho:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: November 16, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
Heineman went on a pretty crazy tweeting spree tonight. Answered tons of questions. And trolled the crap out of us saying how we're going to be getting astro turf. Lol. Obviously, he didn't give many definitive answers, but he hinted at a lot of things.

Here are some:

Robb Heineman ?@RobbHeineman
6 new on roster RT @dwarner11: @RobbHeineman Roughly how many new faces do you expect to see on the field for #SKC next year?

A south american one RT @GMD0012: @RobbHeineman What league are you targeting your next DP from?

Looks that way....by july for sure RT @RQB_ESQ: @RobbHeineman will I be able to get into sporting games next year with just my iPhone?

As far asbi know RT @OVilla17: @RobbHeineman Is Collin staying in KC?

Hopefully....i think so RT @CanfieldLaw: @RobbHeineman Shirt sponsor in 2013?

Very high RT @DevereauxKC: @RobbHeineman really, AstroTurf? What are the chances LSP gets a WC qualifier?

Yes RT @RyanKing92: @RobbHeineman any chance you would try for a young American dp such as @JoshuaGatt or Gyau?

I think he wants to stay a little longerRT @ben_yates4: @RobbHeineman does it look like Zusis great play is going to take him overseas?

Me 2 RT @CarefreeSKC: @RobbHeineman I hear Frank Lampard would like to move to the US, would love to see him in Sporting Blue! Please?!

2018 RT @colinbeauchaine: @RobbHeineman Do you guys plan in adding any extra seats to LSP in the near future?

7000 RT @major_concussed: @RobbHeineman any idea how many seats will be added to LSP?

ND....Tell kietzman RT @Mattdemlein: @RobbHeineman ND-Kstate Championship game, who wins?
:chainsaw:

I think so in 2014 RT @brendanemmel: @RobbHeineman any chance of a friendly with Arsenal...

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: November 17, 2012, 11:54:12 AM »
 :flush:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 18, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »
Seattle is going to make LA really work for this

Offline broXcore

• Katpak'r
  • cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 19, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »
shittiest sports weekend in a very long time

eff adebayor

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: November 19, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
after everything that's happened since the 2011 cup final, pretty amazing to see the same 2 teams at it again.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 19, 2012, 01:07:58 PM »
Cesar, Markovic, Warzycha, Hedrick waived.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 19, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »
Cesar, Markovic, Warzycha, Hedrick waived.

Surprised by the Cesar one.  He played a lot this year. 

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 19, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
He's 34, second highest paid player on the team, injury prone, and wasn't playing well at the end of the season. He was very important the last two seasons, but I don't think his play as of late warrants paying him 250k for another season. The money freed up may go toward getting Roger that DP status. Or if Roger goes too, we may bring in someone else big. Uri can't replace both of them.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 19, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
He's 34, second highest paid player on the team, injury prone, and wasn't playing well at the end of the season. He was very important the last two seasons, but I don't think his play as of late warrants paying him 250k for another season. The money freed up may go toward getting Roger that DP status. Or if Roger goes too, we may bring in someone else big. Uri can't replace both of them.

Agree with the move, just surprised is all.  Seems like he is the kind of guy you make sure you have a replacement for before you waive  :dunno:  That said, we obvs don't know what has been negotiated with possible new players.  Hopefully this is a good sign.

Also, Rob basically said Roger is gone on twitter this weekend.  Also said that he thought Zusi would be around a little longer.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 19, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »
Julio was my favorite. Always in the right place at the right time

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 19, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »
Arsenal should probs sign this guy. If not to be a bench player, at least to be some great halftime entertainment.