Author Topic: What's involved-important-bad-good in keeping a corn snake?  (Read 16511 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
What's involved-important-bad-good in keeping a corn snake?
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »
 :users:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
Re: What's involved-important-bad-good in keeping a corn snake?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
Here is a excellent video of a woman showing you how to properly handle your snake.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »
another video of a woman handeling a snake

\www.xhams    ....nevermind
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
buy a heat rock from a pet store.  use a 10 gallon aquarium to keep him in.  make a lid that fits tight.  put a floor of artificial turf then cover it with some wood shavings- they make special ones for reptiles.  don't use pine/cedar, they're bad for the snake.  a small water bowl.  something decent size to to hide under and in.  you're set.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
buy a heat rock from a pet store.  use a 10 gallon aquarium to keep him in.  make a lid that fits tight.  put a floor of artificial turf then cover it with some wood shavings- they make special ones for reptiles.  don't use pine/cedar, they're bad for the snake.  a small water bowl.  something decent size to to hide under and in.  you're set.
yeah ok, well thats good and all for a generic snake, but what about a corn snake?  should i get some corn/maize for its ecosystem?  would it be ok for me to wear him around my wrist? 

no offense but you seem way out of your league here, i was hoping for input from sys

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »
yeah ok, well thats good and all for a generic snake, but what about a corn snake?  should i get some corn/maize for its ecosystem?  would it be ok for me to wear him around my wrist? 

no offense but you seem way out of your league here, i was hoping for input from sys

They have like a whole series of videos on this..

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 05:34:14 PM »
sorry bud, sys might be a budding herpetologist but he's not on my level. not even close, dumbass.  i've met more corn snakes then snakes have met corn.  great snakes though, great snakes.  

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 05:34:46 PM »
/thread

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
sorry bud, sys might be a budding herpetologist but he's not on my level. not even close, dumbass.  i've met more corn snakes then snakes have met corn.  great snakes though, great snakes. 

well if that is the case then I sort of expected a higher level of discourse with you than "hey throw a warm rock in a fishtank and fill it with wood".   a rough ridin' higher level of discourse. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
sorry bud, sys might be a budding herpetologist but he's not on my level. not even close, dumbass.  i've met more corn snakes then snakes have met corn.  great snakes though, great snakes. 

well if that is the case then I sort of expected a higher level of discourse with you than "hey throw a warm rock in a fishtank and fill it with wood".   a rough ridin' higher level of discourse. 

Like maybe and octagonal fish tank???

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
sorry bud, sys might be a budding herpetologist but he's not on my level. not even close, dumbass.  i've met more corn snakes then snakes have met corn.  great snakes though, great snakes.  

well if that is the case then I sort of expected a higher level of discourse with you than "hey throw a warm rock in a fishtank and fill it with wood".   a rough ridin' higher level of discourse.  

you don't want the higher level of rough ridin' discourse.  trust me, just leave it as it is, you don't want it.   you know what?  you're a douchebag.  shove the snake up your ass.  /thread

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 05:44:47 PM »
lol

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »

you don't want the higher level of rough ridin' discourse.  trust me, just leave it as it is, you don't want it.   you know what?  you're a douchebag.  shove the snake up your ass.  /thread
sorry bro, I don't have my ass filled with wood and a hot rock :lol:  maybe you do?  :lol: 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 06:04:36 PM »
corn snakes are really, really easy.  a great starter snake.  they can handle a lot of different care regimes, so a lot depends on your goals (naturalistic cage, easiest/least time to clean, docile pet, breed, etc).

the basics are to let it get to about 80 during the days with cooler nights.  it's fine to be warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter, fresh water, dead domestic mice (much easier to overfeed than underfeed).  give it somewhere to hide.  ideally have a mostly dry cage with a more humid refugium.

don't use a hotrock, they suck.  don't use cedar, pine is ok, aspen or "softwood" is better.

do you already have one or are you looking to acquire?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
how about a rough ridin' king cobra sys?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 06:12:21 PM »

more dangerous, plus they get big and eat snakes (much more expensive than domestic mice).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 06:18:35 PM »
The stench is formidable.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:40 PM »
corn snakes are really, really easy.  a great starter snake.  they can handle a lot of different care regimes, so a lot depends on your goals (naturalistic cage, easiest/least time to clean, docile pet, breed, etc).

the basics are to let it get to about 80 during the days with cooler nights.  it's fine to be warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter, fresh water, dead domestic mice (much easier to overfeed than underfeed).  give it somewhere to hide.  ideally have a mostly dry cage with a more humid refugium.

don't use a hotrock, they suck.  don't use cedar, pine is ok, aspen or "softwood" is better.

do you already have one or are you looking to acquire?

you're an idiot.  i guess someone started a How To Kill a Snake thread and i clicked on it.  :lol:
/thread

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »

more dangerous, plus they get big and eat snakes (much more expensive than domestic mice).

which is good for me because of the snake problem and love of danger

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »
also getting about 50 death adders.  just keep them in the sock drawer or whatever?

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »
Really there's only one place to keep that many death adders andd that's in some sort of dungeon, preferably one that is accessed via trap door.  You got someone in your house giving you static?  Boom, trapdoor!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
also getting about 50 death adders.  just keep them in the sock drawer or whatever?

Can't teach those fuckers anything.  Have fun with 50 snakes that won't listen to a damn thing you say.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »

Can't teach those fuckers anything.  Have fun with 50 snakes that won't listen to a damn thing you say.
Sounds like my ex-wife!

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile

Offline Lefty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 08:27:11 PM »
Which type of snake would be more prone to getting mad at me if I were to give him some lip? Are some snakes more defensive than others and insecure with the snakeness? I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I can be a smartass in a dry wit type of way, but I don't really mean anything by it. I don't want my snake pet getting the wrong impression if I make fun of it to my buddies.

Pissclams, is it dumb to name your snake? Something like Johnny or Jason?
elitist since 1994