Author Topic: Jimmer  (Read 4851 times)

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Jimmer
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
Tired of  :ohno: over frank so my question is this, is Jimmer the worst NPOY ever?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »
No Hansblow. Jimmer is pretty rough ridin' good and not surrounded by 5 star talent like Hansblow was.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »
Crap, forgot Hansbrough for a minute there :facepalm: ok, how about second worst?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:39:56 PM »
Tired of  :ohno: over frank so my question is this, is Jimmer the worst NPOY ever?

Not even close

J.J Reddick immediately comes to mind.  If you want to bring what happened after they won into the conversation then T.J Ford and Jason Williams jump into the conversation.  Hell you can make a case that every Duke player that has won the Naismith with the exception of Laettner won it based on the best player on the best team principal: Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Williams, & Reddick.

Offline RightMeow

• Combo-Fan
  • Wind it on up and bet the farm!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »
Danny Ferry 1989.  The End.
Is that Manhattan?  My God, it's beautiful!

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
Don't forget about Adam Morrison from Gonzaga, he deserves to be in this conversation

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
Eh, I know there have been some questionable ones, maybe a better way have putting it would be a more 1 dimensional player. Maybe I just have a short term memory and a thing against no D guys from 2nd tier conferences.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »
I don't know....Reddick had some pretty ridic stats on a pretty ridic talented team as far as college ball goes. 

What happens after the award is irrelevant. 

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
Hansblow had heart though, and he tried so hard.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »
we get it, all of you hate white college basketball players

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:06:08 PM »
I don't know....Reddick had some pretty ridic stats on a pretty ridic talented team as far as college ball goes.  

Well when discussing "the worst to win the award" in retrospect don't you have to consider what happened after?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »

Well when discussing "the worst to win the award" in retrospect don't you have to consider what happened after?

I don't know.  NBA is such a different game than NCAA.

It's pretty reasonable that a player can be dominate at one and get lost in the other.  Given that, I don't think you can consider it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 10:10:37 PM »

I listed black players so I know you aren't talking to me but I was just wondering what black NPOY candidates would you list as overrated or undeserving winners?

I do find it odd that every time there is a legit white candidate, he seems to win.  Actually I don't find it odd at all, good white players are overhyped, that isn't breaking news or anything.  

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 10:11:20 PM »
Jimmer was legit.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »

It's pretty reasonable that a player can be dominate at one and get lost in the other.  Given that, I don't think you can consider it.

Talent is talent, if a player is benefiting from a coaches system isn't that a bright shining light that they may not be the best player in the country?  You know like TT QBs winning the Hypesman.  I think it also exposes who may have benefited from being the best player on the best team and who may have benefited from hype from lazy national basketball media who only try to see the best teams.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »

Talent is talent, if a player is benefiting from a coaches system isn't that a bright shining light that they may not be the best player in the country?  You know like TT QBs winning the Hypesman.  I think it also exposes who may have benefited from being the best player on the best team and who may have benefited from hype from lazy national basketball media who only try to see the best teams.

Talent is measured against peers.  it's relative.  Added size, speed and strength of the Association equalizes. 

A guy can easily be the best forward among other 18-22 yr old but hit the Association and all of a sudden be up against a wider age group of taller, stronger, and faster players. 

As for lazy voters, I am fully on board with your point on that.  I hate how obvious many are as well as the thought of so many careers and future careers being effected by someone who is simply hearing a score and a limited stat line on ESPN, then ranking or voting a certain way based on nothing else.  Unfortunately, the system is so large I don't have a better solution.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 10:37:26 PM »

I listed black players so I know you aren't talking to me but I was just wondering what black NPOY candidates would you list as overrated or undeserving winners?

I do find it odd that every time there is a legit white candidate, he seems to win.  Actually I don't find it odd at all, good white players are overhyped, that isn't breaking news or anything.  
looking over the naismith wiki, the only black winner that jumps out as not belonging is the L Train, Lionel Simmons from LaSalle in 1990.  I remember a lot of "Big 5 tradition!“ talk from old balls east coast media types

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 10:43:22 PM »

looking over the naismith wiki, the only black winner that jumps out as not belonging is the L Train, Lionel Simmons from LaSalle in 1990.  I remember a lot of "Big 5 tradition!“ talk from old balls east coast media types

Simmons is third in all-time NCAA career points with 3,217 and trails only Pete Maravich and Freeman Williams. Simmons became the only player in NCAA history to score more than 3,000 points and pull down more than 1,100 rebounds.[3] He holds the NCAA Basketball record for most consecutive games scoring in double figures with 115

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 10:48:38 PM »
Yeah, he was about the worst black winner, imo.  I am kind of a mid major hater on these awards

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 12:08:07 AM »

And the BCS conferences play a different game than the Mountain West.  Pullen put clown shoes on Jimmer last year.  Florida did the same this year.  

In his wildest dreams, Jimmer is hoping for a J.J. Redick-type NBA career.  But J.J. is two inches taller and a better ball handler.  Neither one plays much defense.

Would not be surprised if Jimmer goes undrafted.

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 12:19:53 AM »
No Hansblow. Jimmer is pretty rough ridin' good and not surrounded by 5 star talent like Hansblow was.

Most impressive thing about Jimmer is his hair is identical to Gumble's.

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 12:28:49 AM »

Not even close

J.J Reddick immediately comes to mind.  If you want to bring what happened after they won into the conversation then T.J Ford and Jason Williams jump into the conversation.  Hell you can make a case that every Duke player that has won the Naismith with the exception of Laettner won it based on the best player on the best team principal: Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Williams, & Reddick.

There was a pretty interesting article on Battier a while back: The No-Stats All-Star

Here we have a basketball mystery: a player is widely regarded inside the N.B.A. as, at best, a replaceable cog in a machine driven by superstars. And yet every team he has ever played on has acquired some magical ability to win.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 01:02:10 AM »

Not even close

J.J Reddick immediately comes to mind.  If you want to bring what happened after they won into the conversation then T.J Ford and Jason Williams jump into the conversation.  Hell you can make a case that every Duke player that has won the Naismith with the exception of Laettner won it based on the best player on the best team principal: Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Williams, & Reddick.

JJ Reddick had a really good year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »

Not even close

J.J Reddick immediately comes to mind.  If you want to bring what happened after they won into the conversation then T.J Ford and Jason Williams jump into the conversation.  Hell you can make a case that every Duke player that has won the Naismith with the exception of Laettner won it based on the best player on the best team principal: Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Williams, & Reddick.

He had a great year, but the only reason he beat Adam Morrison and Randy Foye is because he played for Duke

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 06:58:56 AM »

Not even close

He had a great year, but the only reason he beat Adam Morrison and Randy Foye is because he played for Duke

I was a big Morrison fan that year. :frown:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles