Author Topic: Historic Final Four this Weekend  (Read 15132 times)

Offline Sayers

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Final Four this Weekend
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »
You know what the absolute BEST part of Sayers' argument is?

It's that it would have COMPLETELY undermined KU's national championship had they made it that far.  LOL, they played no one to get there (but they didn't get there, obviously), would have played an 8 to get into the final game, and then played a 3 or a 4.   :lol: 

Irrelevant. Like I said, a National Champion should have some sort of body of work that they can rest their laurels on. 35 wins and a 7th consecutive conference title is a body of work. Even 11 losses in a big boy conference back in 88 was above average. I guess that kitty team wasn't that good that year?

And it's easy for SI to put a subtitle on a magazine cover from 20 years ago and for "PAGE 2" of espn to call it "cinderella" after the fact. I guess it fits the storyline of the day. But nobody was calling them that in 88. KU is never "Cinderella". KU is Goliath.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:44 PM »

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »

It's that it would have COMPLETELY undermined KU's national championship had they made it that far.  LOL, they played no one to get there (but they didn't get there, obviously), would have played an 8 to get into the final game, and then played a 3 or a 4.   :lol: 

Irrelevant. Like I said, a National Champion should have some sort of body of work that they can rest their laurels on. 35 wins and a 7th consecutive conference title is a body of work. Even 11 losses in a big boy conference back in 88 was above average. I guess that kitty team wasn't that good that year?

And it's easy for SI to put a subtitle on a magazine cover from 20 years ago and for "PAGE 2" of espn to call it "cinderella" after the fact. I guess it fits the storyline of the day. But nobody was calling them that in 88. KU is never "Cinderella". KU is Goliath.

Too far. This HAS to be a sock.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 09:23:50 PM »

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2011, 09:27:35 PM »

Too far. This HAS to be a sock.
Nope.  This is exhibit A for typical BHKUF.  Pete rough ridin' landed Moby Dick.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
'grats, pete.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »

Let me translate this for all of you that have only been following butt-hurt KU fans for a couple of years:   :bawl::bracketmouse: <--taking his ball and bracket and going home...to his parents' basement
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »
Sayers is a phog.net goon that is put in some great gems on the football board too.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »
I don't agree.  Something is wrong.  A National Champion should have some sort of body of work that they can rest their laurels on.  A poor to average team getting hot at the right time should not result in a National Championship. In many cases, these were not one game anomolies but consistent poor play. When an announcer goes on and on about the beauty of this tournament being that "all four teams struggled during their regular season", then something is wrong. I think the tournament should be representative of a true National Champion, not a mediocre team that catches fire at the right time.

Like Kansas as the 6 seed in the 1988 tournament?  :dunno:  Did you dudes still hang the banner?

As a #6 seed, KU had the fortune of not having to play the #1, #2, or #3 seeds in its regional.

I knew some basketball newbies would bring this up. In 1988 the Final Four included a Number 1 Seed  Arizona, a Number 1 Seed Oklahoma, a Number 2 Seed Duke and a Number 6 Seed Kansas.  It was called Danny and the Miracles but very few people called Kansas a Cinderella.

This year a 3, 4, 8 and 11 seed play in the Final Four.  Our 2011 National Champion will either be 9th ranked UConn, 11th ranked Kentucky or one of the teams they play in the finals in an 8th seed Butler and 11th seed VCU that were not ranked in the top 25. 

That's true. KU truly deserved its national championship after beating all those 1 and 2 seeds in the final four. VCU would never be able to beat a 1 seed.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
Reel is screaming Pete.  :bait:

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »
wow, just wow. this is amazing work right here Pete.

Sayers making Ben look like he is a reasonable person....

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2011, 10:22:50 AM »
'grats, pete.

This is his blue marlin.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
'grats, pete.

This is his blue marlin.

Its pretty amazing how many different ways this is an incredible thread.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »
'grats, pete.

This is his blue marlin.

I think we should rename Pete to 'Santiago' for at least a while to celebrate his catch.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
So, OU is the 88 champ?  Congrats Soonerbasketball!!!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2011, 10:54:32 AM »
'grats, pete.

This is his blue marlin.

I think we should rename Pete to 'Santiago' for at least a while to celebrate his catch.

I'm very conflicted about all of this.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »
I am excited to watch this Final 4.  I want to see if Kemba can keep up his insane play, can Kentucky continue to win while only playing 6 players really, can Butler win the title this year, and can VCU continue their tremendous performance in the tournament and become the first team to win 7 games in their path to win the title.

Personally I am pulling for Butler

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
'grats, pete.

This is his blue marlin.

I think you should quit worrying about it and just take a damn compliment when it's offered.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2011, 11:01:34 AM »
I am excited to watch this Final 4.  I want to see if Kemba can keep up his insane play, can Kentucky continue to win while only playing 6 players really, can Butler win the title this year, and can VCU continue their tremendous performance in the tournament and become the first team to win 7 games in their path to win the title.

Personally I am pulling for Butler

Kentucky.  We could witness them cementing status as the greatest basketball program of all time.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
'grats, pete.

This is his blue marlin.

Ahab?  :ck:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
I'm a little conflicted about who I want to win. On the one hand, there's Kentucky, and nobody deserves a national championship more than John Calipari. On the other hand, I really like a good Disney movie, and the VCU movie would be epic ("You guys have had a nice run, but now it's time to go home."
OMG :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :bwpopcorn: :bwpopcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:).

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »
I'm a little conflicted about who I want to win. On the one hand, there's Kentucky, and nobody deserves a national championship more than John Calipari. On the other hand, I really like a good Disney movie, and the VCU movie would be epic ("You guys have had a nice run, but now it's time to go home."
OMG :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :bwpopcorn: :bwpopcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:).

Could 50 Cent play both the morrii?

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2011, 11:32:43 AM »
jhawkphan Recruit
Rating: 2.3/5 this site
216 posts this site
Ignore this Member
 Nominate | ReportPosted: Today 9:05 AM

Football has it right!  (9 votes)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tournament system has lost it's novelty and is more of a freak show than it is a legitimate method of determining a champion. Ku and Ohio State should be playing each other for the national championship. They deserved it based on their overwhelming success during the regular season and conference play. Instead, we get to see VCU play Butler??!!! The NCAA tourney is a money grab that's an old and worn out system that's clearly broken and no longer works.

Football has had it right all along. Regular season play should mean something. And #1 should play #2 for the national championship game.

:users:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »

Cast:

Bill Self - Mel Gibson
Morris Twins - 50 cent
Mario Little - Chris Brown
Brady Morningstar - Ron Howard (same age)

I'd have to sit and really think who would play Shaka Smart and the VCU players.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »

Cast:

Bill Self - Mel Gibson
Morris Twins - 50 cent
Mario Little - Chris Brown
Brady Morningstar - Ron Howard (same age)

I'd have to sit and really think who would play Shaka Smart and the VCU players.

Someone needs to go to some warehouse and dust off ET and use him for the role of Tyrel Reed.