Author Topic: Privatized Health Care  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Privatized Health Care
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:44:24 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
Re: Privatized Health Care
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:47:10 AM »
Wait until Wal-Mart releases the $4 Generic version. :fatty:
Where did you get that overnight bag?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:50:38 AM »
The drug was already readily available for about $10. It was only after it was discovered to prevent premature births that the price was jacked up to $1500.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:55:42 AM »
The drug was already readily available for about $10. It was only after it was discovered to prevent premature births that the price was jacked up to $1500.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »

According to a story I saw on this last month, your post isn't accurate.  The story I saw on the nightly news said that the drug has been used for this very means since the 50's or 60's(or something like that).  Anyway, it has been used for the whole preemie thing for a very long time.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 10:54:56 AM »

According to a story I saw on this last month, your post isn't accurate.  The story I saw on the nightly news said that the drug has been used for this very means since the 50's or 60's(or something like that).  Anyway, it has been used for the whole preemie thing for a very long time.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't read the article closely enough. The company went out to get FDA approval, and now will charge $1500 per dose ($30,000 over the course of a pregnancy) and nobody else can sell the drug for 7 years.

The approval of Makena gave the company seven years of exclusive rights, and KV immediately fired off letters to compounding pharmacies, warning that they could no longer sell their versions of drug.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:01:42 AM »
I don't think this is about privatized health care.  It is about regulation.

A few years ago, I changed jobs and had to have private health insurance for a year or so.  The insurance I got covered everything my old insurance did except for an inhaler I have.  The full cost of the inhaler is $180/month w/o insurance.  For the year on private insurance, I ordered the generic of the drug through Canada for something like $40/month w/o insurance.  The generic was made by the same manufacture of the name brand, but America has a law that sustains the rights of the name brand from being competed against by other manufacturers for a much longer amt of time, so there is no generic available in the US.  Same drug, same manuf, same ordering process(on line pharm), just ordered from across the boarder.  Even had the same time for delivery.

Supposedly, shortly after I stopped buying this in this manner I think I heard that it is no longer legal to buy meds across the boarder like that.  If this is true, this is a problem.  Legislation keeps prices high and separate legislation keeps you from finding alternatives.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:09:54 AM »

A few years ago, I changed jobs and had to have private health insurance for a year or so.  The insurance I got covered everything my old insurance did except for an inhaler I have.  The full cost of the inhaler is $180/month w/o insurance.  For the year on private insurance, I ordered the generic of the drug through Canada for something like $40/month w/o insurance.  The generic was made by the same manufacture of the name brand, but America has a law that sustains the rights of the name brand from being competed against by other manufacturers for a much longer amt of time, so there is no generic available in the US.  Same drug, same manuf, same ordering process(on line pharm), just ordered from across the boarder.  Even had the same time for delivery.

Supposedly, shortly after I stopped buying this in this manner I think I heard that it is no longer legal to buy meds across the boarder like that.  If this is true, this is a problem.  Legislation keeps prices high and separate legislation keeps you from finding alternatives.

True, but it sort of goes hand in hand. If the government had to pay $1500 per dose for a drug like this, that legislation would change really fast. Right now, most people don't care what drugs and treatments cost because the insurance just covers it. Meanwhile, insurance rates continue to go up every year, and people blame the insurance companies.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
Most agree reform is needed, but I don't think said reform should include a public system.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 11:16:45 AM »

True, but it sort of goes hand in hand. If the government had to pay $1500 per dose for a drug like this, that legislation would change really fast. Right now, most people don't care what drugs and treatments cost because the insurance just covers it. Meanwhile, insurance rates continue to go up every year, and people blame the insurance companies.

you don't think that the government pays similar amounts for medical care and pharmaceuticals?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »

It is partly their fault too.  If they weren't so difficult to work with, the entire process would cost less.  Also, the fact that they negotiate so harshly causes many people to raise their initial asking price.  This is like shopping for souvenirs  in Mexico.  The first price is not only not the final price, but it is light years away.  The hospital lists a single Tylenol as $12, because ultimately they need $2.50 to cover their cost/overhead and still profit, and they know that if they ask for $2.50, the insurance company would cut them a check for $.075.  

The entire system is mumped up.  

You want to hear some real frustration and insight, bring this up to your  general practitioner next time you are in for a flu shot.

The medical industry(and the supporting industries)is/are severely messed up.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »
Full disclosure:

I am not a fan or proponent of the public system.  I feel like it is a lazy politicians way of resolving something that is too big for most to comprehend and too messy to unwind.  There is too much money and interest involved in keeping the system the same.

Reform is needed.

The realist in me thinks that a radical change, such as a public system, is the only way it will change any time in my life time due to the amt of money behind keeping it the way it is.

That said, I am sure that the parties of interest will design the public system so that they continue to rob all involved, but that it will be done in a less personal manner, via our taxes.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »

you don't think that the government pays similar amounts for medical care and pharmaceuticals?

Medicare only covers prescription drugs if you get medicare part D, and the government goes through private insurance companies to do it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 11:31:06 AM »
Full disclosure:

I am not a fan or proponent of the public system.  I feel like it is a lazy politicians way of resolving something that is too big for most to comprehend and too messy to unwind.  There is too much money and interest involved in keeping the system the same.

Reform is needed.

The realist in me thinks that a radical change, such as a public system, is the only way it will change any time in my life time due to the amt of money behind keeping it the way it is.

That said, I am sure that the parties of interest will design the public system so that they continue to rob all involved, but that it will be done in a less personal manner, via our taxes.

Yeah, I don't think we absolutely need public health care, but we should definitely find some way to completely scrap the current system and start over. A public system just seems like the easiest way to do that.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 11:39:38 AM »

Medicare only covers prescription drugs if you get medicare part D, and the government goes through private insurance companies to do it.

who said anything about medicare?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 11:47:24 AM »

who said anything about medicare?

:jerk: No, the government does not pay similar amounts for medical care and pharmaceuticals.