Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 922766 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #925 on: April 04, 2011, 08:27:31 PM »
You know how many Willie Cauleys' there are in South Florida EVERY rough ridin' YEAR?  We get one every 5-10 years in this entire state.  ...and people are rough ridin' bitching because we can't get him to "stay home."

Give Frank a crack at 5 of those every single year and see how he does.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 04, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
I was actually going to site Pepperdine as  a reverse proof of my theory.   Asbury did well at Pepperdine.  Moves to KSU, sucks complete cac at recruiting.  How to explain?  :dunno:

I don't think you can compare mid/low majors to high majors. Haith will end up being a great example for this comparison though.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 04, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »
....also, by "location" I don't mean gorgeous coral gables....I mean "close to loads and loads of super tall and amazing athletic black kids." (NOT RACIST.  Could have said "colored" but kept it classy and said "black.")

You toss out the the "traditional powers" and what is left seems to be location based as much as anything.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:32:52 PM by Pete »

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 04, 2011, 08:32:27 PM »
Location does matter

Every single college basketball recruiting class ranking ever released disagrees with you.

Read the post chief. It's a factor but is usually outweighed by bigger ones. Like I said.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 04, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »
I think location only matters when you are vying for the attention of a local kid who wants to play close to home.  JMO.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: April 04, 2011, 08:35:04 PM »
Just for the record, who here is a giant dumbass and believes that Frank would not be able to recruit better at Miami.  Show of hands please...would like to know who to mock openly to their faces.

:raiseshand:

yeah, agree.  don't see any reason to think he would recruit better.

There's no way it isn't a hell of a lot easier to convince an 18 year-old kid to go to Coral Gables than to Manhattan, KS.  He'll be able to keep kids that he now loses simply due to location and also be able to attract local players that aren't available here.

I'm with chum.  eff Sys and MIR.

You cannot be rough ridin' serious and suggest that it's no hard to recruit a south florida kid to KS than to a FL school.  That's stupid.  It makes no sense. 

You're being really irrational and illogical, so before I treat this talking point like it came from ednksu or bookcat, you need to explain where the hell you're going with this point.  Certainly you see the evidence and history isn't on your side, so I gotta know where the hell you're going with this.  

You're much smarter than this, I don't think chum is.
eat a rough ridin' dick, seriously.  I can back up any claim I make with facts and if I eff up I own it.  You cannot say the same, especially you and rusty with the previous crap fest you have causes.   Kindly keep my name out your rough ridin' mouth.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #931 on: April 04, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »
I was actually going to site Pepperdine as  a reverse proof of my theory.   Asbury did well at Pepperdine.  Moves to KSU, sucks complete cac at recruiting.  How to explain?  :dunno:

hmmmm, good point.  I think he's back at Pepperdine so this shouldn't be too hard to figure out.  I'll save you some time, he still really sucks at recruiting.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 04, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »
I think location only matters when you are vying for the attention of a local kid who wants to play close to home.  JMO.

OK, you loose on EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE GUYS WHEN YOU ARE RECRUITING AT KSU.

Let's put it the other way....how many Kansas/Missouri kids who wanted to stay close to home do you think Frank would try for if he was at Miami.  How many South Florida kids would he try for who wanted to stay near home?  Year in and year out, which number is bigger?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 04, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »
You know how many Willie Cauleys' there are in South Florida EVERY rough ridin' YEAR?  We get one every 5-10 years in this entire state.  ...and people are rough ridin' bitching because we can't get him to "stay home."

Population of the state of Florida 18.8 million
Population of Kansas, Missouri, & Oklahoma 12.4 million

Number of top 150 recruits in '11 & '12 class from Florida 10
Number of top 150 recruits in '11 & '12 class from Kansas, Missouri, & Oklahoma 9

I won't even mention the 15 2011 top 150 recruits from the state of Texas and I won't mention that 1 of that 15 is attending a school in Florida.  I also won't mention that of the Texas top 150 kids actually leaving the state that they are leaving for Manhattan, KS, Morgantown, WV, Blacksburg, VA, Stillwater, OK, Fayetville, AR, and New York, NY.

Probably also a poor time to mention that none of the top 150 recruits in the state of Florida are actually staying there.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 04, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
I was actually going to site Pepperdine as  a reverse proof of my theory.   Asbury did well at Pepperdine.  Moves to KSU, sucks complete cac at recruiting.  How to explain?  :dunno:

hmmmm, good point.  I think he's back at Pepperdine so this shouldn't be too hard to figure out.  I'll save you some time, he still really sucks at recruiting.

Incorrect.  He was very handsome back then.  Now he is a wrinkly ball sack with face cancer.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 04, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
oh and the U is near some pretty shitty neighborhoods.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 04, 2011, 08:43:02 PM »
You're being really irrational and illogical, so before I treat this talking point like it came from ednksu or bookcat, you need to explain where the hell you're going with this point.  Certainly you see the evidence and history isn't on your side, so I gotta know where the hell you're going with this.  

Do you think Frank would recruit at Miami similar to Haith? (though IMHO it is unlikely Frank goes to Miami).

I think Frank would recruit similar to how Frank does now.  You know that the biggest factor in recruiting is who they play for, this is emphasized for Frank Martin because of how he runs his program.  We haven't lost one single recruit in the Frank Martin era because of our location.  We are the only fan base in America that uses this as a reason/excuse.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 04, 2011, 08:43:13 PM »
You know how many Willie Cauleys' there are in South Florida EVERY effING YEAR?  We get one every 5-10 years in this entire state.  ...and people are effing bitching because we can't get him to "stay home."

Number of top 150 recruits in '11 & '12 class from Kansas, Missouri, & Oklahoma 9

I won't even mention the 15 2011 top 150 recruits from the state of Texas and I won't mention that 1 of that 15 is attending a school in Florida.  I also won't mention that of the Texas top 150 kids actually leaving the state that they are leaving for Manhattan, KS, Morgantown, WV, Blacksburg, VA, Stillwater, OK, Fayetville, AR, and New York, NY.

Probably also a poor time to mention that none of the top 150 recruits in the state of Florida are actually staying there.

So, your case is that South Florida is no better of a recruiting area that Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma.  That's what you are going with?  Look, you know more about this than me, but I don't see loads of black people running around the latter...more the former.  My opinion is that black people are better to recruit to play basketball for you, and pretty effing firm in my conviction on that point.  Pretty effing firm.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »

Incorrect.  He was very handsome back then.  Now he is a wrinkly ball sack with face cancer.

But his ball sack gets sweaty in MALIBU  :runaway:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 04, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »
Just for the record, who here is a giant dumbass and believes that Frank would not be able to recruit better at Miami.  Show of hands please...would like to know who to mock openly to their faces.

There's no way it isn't a hell of a lot easier to convince an 18 year-old kid to go to Coral Gables than to Manhattan, KS.  He'll be able to keep kids that he now loses simply due to location and also be able to attract local players that aren't available here.

You cannot be effing serious and suggest that it's no hard to recruit a south florida kid to KS than to a FL school.  That's stupid.  It makes no sense. 

Here's my thinking on this....

If you look at how well Frank has done historically recruiting South Florida, and you look at the number of quality players that are coming out of South Florida right now (http://sfhighschoolsports.com/blog/basketball-boys-blogs/south-florida-players-ncaa-tournament)  it defies all logic to suggest that at a BCS school in the most lavish location in South Florida would not be easier to recruit to than KSU.

Now, this argument is also based on the notion that Frank was able to recruit to KSU when we had no facilities, he had no recognizable name (yet), and we had a fine tradition of sucking the sweat off a dead man's balls.

I am of the opinion that given Franks' now "national name," he could get a greater proportion of South Florida targets than he currently gets today at KSU.  I'd liken it to Howard Schnellenberger...before Howard, they were "giving football tickets away at Burger King" at Miami.

Even a decade ago, when Hamilton was winning at Miami, South Florida wasn't as prolific as it is today...it's a "boom" time for the area, is it not?

As already pointed out, you are overstating the amount of basketball talent in Florida, it isn't football.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 04, 2011, 08:46:38 PM »

You cannot be effing serious and suggest that it's no hard to recruit a south florida kid to KS than to a FL school.  That's stupid.  It makes no sense. 

Here's my thinking on this....

If you look at how well Frank has done historically recruiting South Florida, and you look at the number of quality players that are coming out of South Florida right now (http://sfhighschoolsports.com/blog/basketball-boys-blogs/south-florida-players-ncaa-tournament)  it defies all logic to suggest that at a BCS school in the most lavish location in South Florida would not be easier to recruit to than KSU.

Now, this argument is also based on the notion that Frank was able to recruit to KSU when we had no facilities, he had no recognizable name (yet), and we had a fine tradition of sucking the sweat off a dead man's balls.

I am of the opinion that given Franks' now "national name," he could get a greater proportion of South Florida targets than he currently gets today at KSU.  I'd liken it to Howard Schnellenberger...before Howard, they were "giving football tickets away at Burger King" at Miami.

Even a decade ago, when Hamilton was winning at Miami, South Florida wasn't as prolific as it is today...it's a "boom" time for the area, is it not?

As already pointed out, you are overstating the amount of basketball talent in Florida, it isn't football.

My argument is based on the assumption that it is growing.  Which, if Frank continues to recruit South Florida, should still help us at KSU...that much I agree on.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 04, 2011, 08:49:14 PM »
facilities and reputation >>>>> location
The reason why I note facilities is that it is a tipping point if a lot of other items are equal.   

Miami is a football school and is currently doing what Nebraska did to its athletic department.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 04, 2011, 08:49:39 PM »
You know how many Willie Cauleys' there are in South Florida EVERY effING YEAR?  We get one every 5-10 years in this entire state.  ...and people are effing bitching because we can't get him to "stay home."

So, your case is that South Florida is no better of a recruiting area that Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma.  That's what you are going with?  Look, you know more about this than me, but I don't see loads of black people running around the latter...more the former.  My opinion is that black people are better to recruit to play basketball for you, and pretty effing firm in my conviction on that point.  Pretty effing firm.

ALSO, in the above post I meant "you" as in the "you understood" sense, and not in the "you" as in you are black sense.  I have no desire to get my face cratered.  Just wanted to make sure we were clear on that.   go cats.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 04, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »

lol.  you post on gpc.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 04, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »

Do you think Frank would recruit at Miami similar to Haith? (though IMHO it is unlikely Frank goes to Miami).

I think Frank would recruit similar to how Frank does now.  You know that the biggest factor in recruiting is who they play for, this is emphasized for Frank Martin because of how he runs his program.  We haven't lost one single recruit in the Frank Martin era because of our location.  We are the only fan base in America that uses this as a reason/excuse.

This is a good point.  Every other fanbase is the complete opposite.  Take for example our sister to the east.  ku fans always talk about Lawrence like it's some paradise on earth.  ku fans actually say things like, "why would a kid want to go to school in the middle of Kansas" when talking about k-state.  They say it straight faced, without even realizing the irony.  I'm fairly certain k-state fans all love manhattan and think its a great college town, but when it comes to recruiting it suddenly turns into some deserted island in the plains.  Really lame excuse without merit.

signed,

K-States dozen or so Rivals 150 recruits since Wooly left

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: April 04, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »
Location does matter

Every single college basketball recruiting class ranking ever released disagrees with you.

Toss out the "traditional" powers (...we are not one of those).  Then, look at the locations.

What I'm looking at is what the Florida schools are not getting, I'm not talking about us.  BTW the only "traditional" powers IMO are KU, UK, UNC, Duke, and UCLA.  Every other good current program is the beneficiary of recent success, hiring the right guy.  There is literally no reason why any BCS school who wants to commit themselves to it can't become Syracuse.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 04, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
I would take being a Syracuse and run.   :bracketmouse:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 04, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
Mods, please change name of thread to whatever the hell people are bitching about now and someone tell me if Frank is leaving or not. TIA

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 04, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »

lol.  you post on gpc.

I'm  :powerespect: but I kicked your ass all over this thread.  You should stick to the post where you try to bait people, you're much better at that stuff.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 04, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »
if the recruiting location talking point was valid UCLA, USC, SDSU, CAL and a plethora of other school in So Cal would be dominating every year.   Now UCLA is the only out lying school from that region and that is easily explained by coach, boosters, facilities.