Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 893782 times)

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2011, 11:11:51 AM »
doyel's a dumbass.  ou is the best job of the three.

15 years ago, maybe. Now it's arguable that they're not even the best job in their state.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
doyel's a dumbass.  ou is the best job of the three.

ouhoops.com has gotten to you, hasn't it?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
Then why are the likes of Lon Kruger turning them down?  :dunno: 

kruger turns down 4-5 schools every year.  he's not moving, people keep asking.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
15 years ago, maybe. Now it's arguable that they're not even the best job in their state.

that's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  kstate isn't a better job than it was five years ago, ou isn't a worse job.  recent successes/failures are meaningless.

unless they move okc, move dallas and ou fball stops raking in money, clothing the entire state in crimson and getting on tv every week, ou will stay the 3rd best job in the big 12.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »
You really think the last 5 yrs have had no impact on the KSU job?  I gotta disagree with you on this one.  Seems like we have nunerous things going for us now that HCs would want, that we didn't have 5 yrs ago.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »

that's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  kstate isn't a better job than it was five years ago, ou isn't a worse job.  recent successes/failures are meaningless.

unless they move okc, move dallas and ou fball stops raking in money, clothing the entire state in crimson and getting on tv every week, ou will stay the 3rd best job in the big 12.

the dumbest part of doyel's piece was saying that mu isn't as good of a job because of no final fours compared to two. is george mason a better job than mu as well? what a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) fact to try and support an opinion.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2011, 12:06:24 PM »

We are if you count the shiznizzle practice facility on the way.   :cheers:
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2011, 12:10:37 PM »
Didn't see this anywhere

Sports by Brooks
Towson: Offering $400K. AD Mike Waddell doing search himself. Dalonte Hill prob the favorite now. Lotsa baggage and he'd be taking paycut! Pat Kelsey and Russell Springmann, reported to be candidates, have no interest.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

catzacker

« Reply #233 on: March 31, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »
is ou going to get in any ncaa trouble?  couldn't remember if that is fully resolved yet. 

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 31, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »
as of today, this very second, OU is at LEAST the 3rd best job in the state of Oklahoma.  maybe 4th.  OSU, ORU, and Tulsa are all arguably better. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
Didn't see this anywhere

Sports by Brooks
Towson: Offering $400K. AD Mike Waddell doing search himself. Dalonte Hill prob the favorite now. Lotsa baggage and he'd be taking paycut! Pat Kelsey and Russell Springmann, reported to be candidates, have no interest.

will take (love dalonte btw)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »
(love dalonte btw)

I don't know. I'll have to see practice to see if he is more "animated" before I make my decision on 'te.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 31, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
Dr. Walrod

Almost on scholarship
Post #274
MyFanPage

Delante Gone???

and the most famous catbacker bigot outs his GPC handle to the world

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
(love dalonte btw)

I don't know. I'll have to see practice to see if he is more "animated" before I make my decision on 'te.

he's already done more for KSU than Tex Winter and Jack Hartman combined but you keep sitting on the fence

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »

Oklahoma State has more of a cultural (and possibly monetary, don't know the figures) investment in basketball than OU, so they'll have the same media market advantage in OKC. Plus, here's the thing, nobody in Dallas really gives that much of a crap about college hoops, but those that do divide up the shares pretty equally between the four texas schools, OU, OSU, and KU. OU doesn't have an inherent advantage over any of those schools I listed in terms of tv market when it comes to basketball besides Baylor and maybe (MAYBE) Tech. Sure, OU may have tons of money, but so does UT and A&M, and OU can't flood their Texas pipeline for recruits like they do in basketball. When football recruits in Texas go to OU over A&M, Tech, Baylor, and occasionally UT, there is a little bit less of a pushback since, well, they're OU football. But if you're an elite Texas basketball player, you look at UT, A&M, and KU before you even consider OU. Recruiting in Texas isn't going to get any easier for OU now that Gillispie is at Tech. Plus, given OSU having a better atmosphere, a history about on par with OU's and Boone Pickens being their sugar daddy and bringing state of the art facilities to Stillwater, I'd argue that OSU probably has about the same influence with recruits as OU.

And you can't possibly say that K-State isn't a better job now than it was five years ago. If Frank were to leave, our potential pool of coaching applicants would be of a higher quality than when Wooly left. If we were to make five Final Fours in a row, you bet your ass that this would become a much more attractive job. Success defines a program's place in the national and regional pecking order. A five year period may not mean much to most programs, but 15 to 20 years absolutely does, and for you to deny it means that you're just being obstreperous. Remember when Maryland, Wake Forest, and Arkansas used to be good?

Here's the thing about OU: their fans no longer give a single crap about basketball, they haven't had a boatload of recent success, and their national brand is nowhere near what it once was. You can get by as a very solid program with maybe one or two of those deficiencies (see: Texas fans not giving two shits), but you can't experience all of those factors without a decline in program prestige. I mean, it's not a bad job by any means, and the potential is there for a coach to do very, very well there. But 15 years ago, the up and coming coaches in the world would've banged down the door for a job like OU, and it would've been higher on the totem pole than either MU or NCSU. That's no longer the case.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 31, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »
not really on this topic but this brought it up

Quote from:  bp
Frank knew Matt years BEFORE he knew Brad! & Delonte!

Matt gets the "toughest" game plan "scouts" [like Utah State]
over Brad & Delonte

Delonte was a good hire for the Player connections, improving as a Coach

Brad was a good hire for the Kansas State history & State connections, and
had Juco HC experience
Matt was John Pelphrey's TOP Assistant @ U South Alabama and @ U Arkansas
[for a couple of months]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:10:37 PM by steve dave »

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 31, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »

over Brad & Delonte

had Juco HC experience
[for a couple of months]

Then why didn't Pelphrey take Matt with him?
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2011, 01:12:05 PM »
Success defines a program's place in the national and regional pecking order. A five year period may not mean much to most programs, but 15 to 20 years absolutely does.

fans think success defines a program's place in the pecking order, but they're either wrong, or they're confusing program prestige with job attractiveness.  short-term success does nothing to change how good a job is.  long-term success can, if it translates to increased support (fan), increased exposure, an increased budget and increased admin support (a.d. prioritization).

in kstate's case the facilities improvement makes it a better job.  but not much.  maybe we catch back up with isu or something, but basically it doesn't alter the pecking order within the conference.  the recent success may make the latent support for kstate bball more apparent, but it doesn't make it a better job.  that level of support for a moderately successful program always existed, and a candidate that was interested enough to research the job, or already familiar with it, would know that.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »

over Brad & Delonte

had Juco HC experience
[for a couple of months]

figgsey was demoted to dobo at arkansas when they moved there, i'm pretty sure.  not sure how that reconciles with "top asst" unless it was supposed to be a temp thing for some weird reason.

do agree that he's kstate's best asst/asst with best chance of someday being coach sevenfigga.  felels good to be aligned with bp.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:17:27 PM by sys »

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2011, 01:19:53 PM »
I think Brooks missed again on this one. If Dalonte has taken the job, it's a recent development and happened at the 12th hour. Everybody I know says Pitt's Pat Skerry is the odds on favorite to land the gig.

The official search is down to three people, and while Dalonte interviewed, he was eliminated from consideration. This according to Curtis Malone, one of Dalonte's closest friends.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »
Curtis Malone, one of Dalonte's closest friends.

pfffftttt

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »
Curtis Malone, one of Dalonte's closest friends.

pfffftttt

'clams has a better relationship with Malone than Dalonte does.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »
the gpc delante thread is one of the funniest in a long time.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »

Please cut/paste gems.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »

Please cut/paste gems.

yes.