Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 893455 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
Your statement read clearly like ILL is a better job/ program than PU, when in fact any advantage that might possibly exist is minute and in fact PU is a better basketball program than ILL is.  I never claimed that PU had any advantage with Chicago kids. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »
so you are changing your argument from Ill is a better job to Ill is a big draw for Chicago kids?  I'll concede the latter.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
pfac51 pfac51
Reports out of Denver place New Mexico head coach Steve Alford meeting with Mike Alden in Tulsa early this evening
8 minutes ago

Well, that would be a disaster.

For us or them?

Them, obviously.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »
Your statement read clearly like ILL is a better job/ program than PU, when in fact any advantage that might possibly exist is minute and in fact PU is a better basketball program than ILL is.  I never claimed that PU had any advantage with Chicago kids.  

never once in my original post did i compare the two jobs.  MIcat said that "it's not like chicago kids dream of playing for UI", which is completely false.  I can't compare the two jobs because I don't know as much about PU as UI, but the right coach could be very dangerous at UI.  I don't think Weber is that coach.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:05:50 PM by treysolid »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2011, 10:09:31 PM »
My bad man, that was SYS.  sorry bro.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2011, 10:10:40 PM »
Where did Weber come from?  I just remember him being on the ass end of that year's coaching carousel.  He did get to the finals that first year (I think it was the first), though it was with Self's kids.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:52 PM »
Where did Weber come from?  I just remember him being on the ass end of that year's coaching carousel.  He did get to the finals that first year (I think it was the first), though it was with Self's kids.

Southern Illinois

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »

Southern Illinois, I believe.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
DOC 2 MU

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2011, 11:04:40 PM »
pfac51 pfac51
Reports out of Denver place New Mexico head coach Steve Alford meeting with Mike Alden in Tulsa early this evening
8 minutes ago

Well, that would be a disaster.

For us or them?

Them, obviously.

WTF is the deal with Tulsa? Isn't that where Mike Anderson signed his deal with Arkansas after a funeral?

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »
Yea, Weber was at SIU. Basically got the UI job off of their S16 run in '02? Painter took over after he left but only stayed 1 year

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »
Not sure how Illinois is better than Purdue. Very, very similar jobs.

chicago is illinois.  purdue's geographic distance to chicago has never translated into competing with illinois for chicago recruits.

also, illinois is a media draw, purdue isn't.  i'd bet the illinois alumni base dwarfs purdues.  similarly, ui is richer, more prestigious.

That's fair. But it isn't like you see kids in chicago growing up dreaming of playing for Illinois - this isn't unc we're talking about here.

this is just a falsehood.  granted, chicago alone produces enough talent to fill up 2 or 3 whole D1 squads each year, but Illinois generally has their pick of the litter.  and it's not just for basketball either, practically all the high school kids in CHI want to go to U of I for school as well.

They've really done a great job the last two classes, but look at the recruits ranked higher than any Illinois recruit that came out of Chicago before that:

2008:

DeAndre Liggins: UK
Inman Shumpert: GT
Michael Dunigan: Oregon

2007:

Derrick Rose: Memphis
Nayal Koshwal: Depaul
Evan Turner: Ohio State

2006:

Sherron Collins: KU
John Scheyer: Duke

You could keep going back, and find a similar pattern. Illinois hardly gets "the pick of the litter" from Chicago, over the long term.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2011, 06:59:47 AM »
I don't think it's fair to just list a bunch of players and then say "well, Illinois didn't get them so the draw isn't that great".  You've got to take things into account like, how many schollys did UI have that year? When did they offer kids? Who is their AAU coach tied in with? How much money did some of these other kids get to go other places (Davis, Rose, Collins, etc... let's be realistic here)?  The fact of the matter is that UI (especially under Weber) has a really high success rate pulling in the IL kids that they offer early.  Illinois seems to offer a select group of Chicago kids scholarships while they are still sophomores and they typically have them wrapped up before their senior year starts.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2011, 07:32:59 AM »
I don't think it's fair to just list a bunch of players and then say "well, Illinois didn't get them so the draw isn't that great".  You've got to take things into account like, how many schollys did UI have that year? When did they offer kids? Who is their AAU coach tied in with? How much money did some of these other kids get to go other places (Davis, Rose, Collins, etc... let's be realistic here)?  The fact of the matter is that UI (especially under Weber) has a really high success rate pulling in the IL kids that they offer early.  Illinois seems to offer a select group of Chicago kids scholarships while they are still sophomores and they typically have them wrapped up before their senior year starts.

You're right, Weber either didn't want the kids I listed or they got paid. Seems much more fair.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2011, 08:03:54 AM »

You're right, Weber either didn't want the kids I listed or they got paid. Seems much more fair.

Never said he didn't want them.  And as an aside, I think about 50% of the Top 150 kids every year get some sort of "incentive" from schools.  But there's only 13 spots on a team and there are other relationships to consider.  The fact of the matter is that UI culture in CHI is much bigger than you think it is, but i suppose I shouldn't expect a KS kid who lives in Mich to understand that. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 31, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »

Never said he didn't want them.  And as an aside, I think about 50% of the Top 150 kids every year get some sort of "incentive" from schools.  But there's only 13 spots on a team and there are other relationships to consider.  The fact of the matter is that UI culture in CHI is much bigger than you think it is, but i suppose I shouldn't expect a KS kid who lives in Mich to understand that. 

How big do I think UI culture in Chicago is? :ck:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 31, 2011, 08:07:45 AM »
but i suppose I shouldn't expect a KS kid who lives in Mich to understand that. 

:horrorsurprise:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 31, 2011, 08:10:37 AM »
but i suppose I shouldn't expect a KS kid who lives in Mich to understand that. 

:horrorsurprise:

I suppose I shouldn't expect a KS kid who lives in nebraska to understand anything about Mack Brown

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 31, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
I don't think it's fair to just list a bunch of players and then say "well, Illinois didn't get them so the draw isn't that great".  You've got to take things into account like, how many schollys did UI have that year? When did they offer kids? Who is their AAU coach tied in with? How much money did some of these other kids get to go other places (Davis, Rose, Collins, etc... let's be realistic here)?  The fact of the matter is that UI (especially under Weber) has a really high success rate pulling in the IL kids that they offer early.  Illinois seems to offer a select group of Chicago kids scholarships while they are still sophomores and they typically have them wrapped up before their senior year starts.

Never said he didn't want them.  And as an aside, I think about 50% of the Top 150 kids every year get some sort of "incentive" from schools.  But there's only 13 spots on a team and there are other relationships to consider.  The fact of the matter is that UI culture in CHI is much bigger than you think it is, but i suppose I shouldn't expect a KS kid who lives in Mich to understand that.  

How big do I think UI culture in Chicago is? :ck:
It's kinda like UMKC culture in Kansas City.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 31, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »
Salaries of NCAA tourney coaches.

Anyone know what Frank's 500,000 bonus was?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2011-coaches-salary-database.htm

Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2011-coaches-salary-database.htm

Surprised Roy is that low.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »

North Carolina   Roy Williams   $1,655,000   NA   $1,655,000   $108,332

:ck:

How do you win two NC's in the last 6 years and still get paid less than 15 coaches?

When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2011, 10:49:55 AM »
doyel's a dumbass.  ou is the best job of the three.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2011, 11:11:05 AM »
doyel's a dumbass.  ou is the best job of the three.

Then why are the likes of Lon Kruger turning them down?  :dunno: