Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 893447 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »
He's been very good at Purdue, changing schools doesn't guarantee that success would continue, even if he would have possibly had more resources at Mizzou.  see Crean, Tom

I think this is a valid point, but Crean is a pretty extreme example. I agree he's been much worse than I anticipated at Indiana, but Sampson pretty much destroyed that place on the way out.  A guy who has won decently and recruited well at another high major program to me is the biggest threat at an opposing school, and Painter definitely fit that bill. He's about as low risk as you get and odds are he would've likely had Missouri competitive and an NCAA program if he had come.

IMO a guy like Smart is not scary at all. He's on a magical run with mostly a bunch of guys he didn't even really recruit. Plus his style is a lot like Anderson's and I'm on not sold on it being a a great style at the high major level unless you are a ridiculous recruiter. I'd be much more worried about Stevens going to Missouri, but I don't think that's likely at all.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
He's been very good at Purdue, changing schools doesn't guarantee that success would continue, even if he would have possibly had more resources at Mizzou.  see Crean, Tom

I think this is a valid point, but Crean is a pretty extreme example. I agree he's been much worse than I anticipated at Indiana, but Sampson pretty much destroyed that place on the way out.  A guy who has won decently and recruited well at another high major program to me is the biggest threat at an opposing school, and Painter definitely fit that bill. He's about as low risk as you get and odds are he would've likely had Missouri competitive and an NCAA program if he had come.

IMO a guy like Smart is not scary at all. He's on a magical run with mostly a bunch of guys he didn't even really recruit. Plus his style is a lot like Anderson's and I'm on not sold on it being a a great style at the high major level unless you are a ridiculous recruiter. I'd be much more worried about Stevens going to Missouri, but I don't think that's likely at all.

JFC, a _FAN validation :love:

catzacker

« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2011, 04:19:58 PM »
so MU goes after Dave Rose (BYU's coach)?  He has JUCO and TX connection (I think).

Too old and the cancer thing is also an issue.

As much as I can't stand him Marshall looks like he's going to get one of these jobs.  Again I can't stand him but I'd hire him before Smart.  That isn't going to work, it hasn't worked in the past.  These dumb ADs keep getting hoodwinked by these flash-in-the-pan tournament runs by unproven mid-major coaches.

would love if they hired marshall.  was scared with painter that I would run out of reasons to dislike MU.  with marshall, i'd probably hate mu even more than I hated MU under Anderson.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »
was scared with painter that I would run out of reasons to dislike MU.  with marshall, i'd probably hate mu even more than I hated MU under Anderson.

dumbstick.   :pray:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
goodman fellates painter, calls micat a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/in_end_painter_shows_loyalty/4474350
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

catzacker

« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »
was scared with painter that I would run out of reasons to dislike MU.  with marshall, i'd probably hate mu even more than I hated MU under Anderson.

sweet baby jesus.  would be incredible.  we're not that lucky.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »

sweet baby jesus.  would be incredible.  we're not that lucky.

would Matt Scott be forced to call it a fantastic hire?  :love:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »
Painter played MU hard and balls deep.

I will give you reasons why Mike Alden was dumb for going all in on Painter:

1.  He's a Purdue Alum.
2.  Purdue was following through on everything they promised in terms of facilities:  A complete renovation of Mackey Arena, replete with new basketball operations facilities (offices, practice courts, dressing rooms, weight room).   Next to contract/money/emotional support that is almost always next on the list. 

That only left one thing . . . money. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2011, 05:56:22 PM »
did not realize this.

See, Purdue is a unique school in that it uses no state funds to support its athletic department. It uses no university funding, either....Purdue pays for every scholarship, every coaching salary -- every stamp on every letter to every high school recruit -- with privately raised funds. That's impressive. That's a school that isn't bleeding an already bled-out state to pay its millionaires even more millions. Well done to Purdue. Wish more schools were like you.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14879285/want-your-school-to-keep-coaches-like-painter-prepare-to-ante-up
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2011, 06:04:35 PM »
BITB (Radio) defended MU pretty hard about going after Painter. Although he brought up a pretty solid point that perception of the next hire will be unfair from the fans standpoint if they end up paying the next guy 1.3 Million.  If you were about to unload 2.3 or higher on the previous candidate it would seem underwhelming.  The publicity of the painter deal probably gives future candidates much more leverage to become overpaid.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2011, 07:47:53 PM »

I think this is a valid point, but Crean is a pretty extreme example. I agree he's been much worse than I anticipated at Indiana, but Sampson pretty much destroyed that place on the way out.

Crean's supposed to have an awesome class coming in.  I think his first year there he had like 6 scholarship players and onlye two returning players.  He knew he had an opportunity with that shell of a program to build for 3/4 years and is taking advantage and building it his way.  I would be surprised if he doesn't build a consistent tournament team
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:03:29 PM by ChiCat »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2011, 07:51:11 PM »
pfac51 pfac51
Reports out of Denver place New Mexico head coach Steve Alford meeting with Mike Alden in Tulsa early this evening
8 minutes ago
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2011, 07:59:43 PM »
pfac51 pfac51
Reports out of Denver place New Mexico head coach Steve Alford meeting with Mike Alden in Tulsa early this evening
8 minutes ago

Well, that would be a disaster.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »
pfac51 pfac51
8 minutes ago

For us or them?
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2011, 08:42:48 PM »
so MU goes after Dave Rose (BYU's coach)?  He has JUCO and TX connection (I think).

Too old and the cancer thing is also an issue.

As much as I can't stand him Marshall looks like he's going to get one of these jobs.  Again I can't stand him but I'd hire him before Smart.  That isn't going to work, it hasn't worked in the past.  These dumb ADs keep getting hoodwinked by these flash-in-the-pan tournament runs by unproven mid-major coaches.

Smart is a recruiter. All things equal, I'd take Smart over Marshall. (but i would have taken smart before their run).

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »
pfac51 pfac51
8 minutes ago

:crossfingers:

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2011, 09:06:49 PM »
OU tried to get Lon Kruger and he said no

:lol:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2011, 09:07:26 PM »
for those keeping track, that's now 3 coaches who have turned OU down (reportedly, of course)

Pastner, Buzz, and Kruger 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2011, 09:12:46 PM »

I think this is a valid point, but Crean is a pretty extreme example. I agree he's been much worse than I anticipated at Indiana, but Sampson pretty much destroyed that place on the way out.

Crean's supposed to have an awesome class coming in.  I think his first year there he had like 6 scholarship players and onlye two returning players.  He knew he had an opportunity with that shell of a program to build for 3/4 years and is taking advantage and building it his way.  I would be surprised if he doesn't build a consistent tournament team

Yeah Crean has the #2 pg, #4 PF, #9 SF, and #16 SG coming in 2012 and they're all home state Indiana guys.  Add in a top 150 7 footer from North Carolina and that is a hell of a coup.  Cody Zeller will com in next year and help hold IU over until the crew gets there.  Obviously there isn't a lot of talent on the current roster but Crean won't be judged until that 2012 class is two years in.  Luckily for him IU fans aren't like Kentucky fans and will actually be patient enough for these guys to come in.  Crean will need to have the Hoosiers dancing in 2012-13 and in the top 10 in 2013-14 or we will probably see Brad Stephens pacing the sidelines in Bloomington the following year (either 13-14 or 15-16)  

I think Stephens is perfectly content at Butler and the one job that would quickly lure him away would be IU.  
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2011, 09:17:49 PM »
Not sure how Illinois is better than Purdue. Very, very similar jobs.

chicago is illinois.  purdue's geographic distance to chicago has never translated into competing with illinois for chicago recruits.

also, illinois is a media draw, purdue isn't.  i'd bet the illinois alumni base dwarfs purdues.  similarly, ui is richer, more prestigious.

That's fair. But it isn't like you see kids in chicago growing up dreaming of playing for Illinois - this isn't unc we're talking about here.

this is just a falsehood.  granted, chicago alone produces enough talent to fill up 2 or 3 whole D1 squads each year, but Illinois generally has their pick of the litter.  and it's not just for basketball either, practically all the high school kids in CHI want to go to U of I for school as well.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »
pfac51 pfac51
8 minutes ago

:crossfingers:

What's the deal with all these meetings taking place in Tulsa??

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:03 PM »

chicago is illinois.  purdue's geographic distance to chicago has never translated into competing with illinois for chicago recruits.

also, illinois is a media draw, purdue isn't.  i'd bet the illinois alumni base dwarfs purdues.  similarly, ui is richer, more prestigious.

That's fair. But it isn't like you see kids in chicago growing up dreaming of playing for Illinois - this isn't unc we're talking about here.

this is just a falsehood.  granted, chicago alone produces enough talent to fill up 2 or 3 whole D1 squads each year, but Illinois generally has their pick of the litter.  and it's not just for basketball either, practically all the high school kids in CHI want to go to U of I for school as well.

Meh, The enrollments are similar, Purdue has no need to recruit Chicago as Indiana talent is as good or better as any in Illinois.  Purdue actually has a bigger endowment.  They also have more continuity than IU and are a more successful program.  Self proved that Illinois is not a destination Job and while Purdue isn't either I don't think Painter will be leaving for another 15-20 years.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:40:05 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »
Actually outside of Self Illinois really hasn't done much in the last 20 years.  Hell even Lou Henson only managed 1 B10 title in his time there.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »

this is just a falsehood.  granted, chicago alone produces enough talent to fill up 2 or 3 whole D1 squads each year, but Illinois generally has their pick of the litter.  and it's not just for basketball either, practically all the high school kids in CHI want to go to U of I for school as well.

Meh, The enrollments are similar, Purdue has no need to recruit Chicago as Indiana talent is as good or better as any in Illinois.  Purdue actually has a bigger endowment.  They also have more continuity than IU and are a more successful program.  Self proved that Illinois is not a destination Job and while Purdue isn't either I don't think Painter will be leaving for another 15-20 years.  

I don't see what any of that has to do with the perception of the U of I to chicago kids.    :dunno:  

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
Actually outside of Self Illinois really hasn't done much in the last 20 years.  Hell even Lou Henson only managed 1 B10 title in his time there.

Still don't see what this has to do with the perception of U of I to chicago kids.  You really have to be from IL to appreciate how ridiculous the draw is.