Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 924952 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #5575 on: March 05, 2018, 10:06:45 PM »
I kind of like the UNCG guy.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: March 05, 2018, 10:15:14 PM »
Let the Wes Miller swoon fest begin!!!  I’m on board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: March 05, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
not a great job interview for this forbes fella

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: March 05, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »
was scout on the scout tonight 'clams?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: March 05, 2018, 11:28:46 PM »
she helped the early game scouting l and then took a nap on her nail scratch thing around halfway through the game and then finally got up and helped scout the end

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5580 on: March 06, 2018, 12:50:06 AM »
beard signs for 6 y $19m

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: March 06, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »
Forbes and Miller both made the sexiest mid-major coaches list.  Odd choice of photo for Miller though.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/2/14/17010290/valentines-day-sexiest-coaches-mid-major-basketball-andy-toole-steve-forbes

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: March 06, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »
I kind of like the UNCG guy.

Me too, he could be leaving UNCG by the time of the Final Four, when the hiring season rumblings begin.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: March 06, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »
Forbes and Miller both made the sexiest mid-major coaches list.  Odd choice of photo for Miller though.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/2/14/17010290/valentines-day-sexiest-coaches-mid-major-basketball-andy-toole-steve-forbes

lotta old white dudes

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: March 07, 2018, 07:46:18 AM »
Penny Hardaway as HC of Memphis with Larry Brown as assistant??   :surprised:

Hardaway, who played for the Tigers from 1991 to '93 before becoming a four-time NBA All-Star, currently coaches East High School (Memphis, Tenn.) and runs the Team Penny AAU program on the Nike EYBL circuit. He coaches ESPN 60 No. 1 junior James Wiseman at East, as well as five-star junior Chandler Lawson (No. 26). Five-star junior D.J. Jeffries (No. 17) also plays for Team Penny.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22672236/memphis-tigers-looking-firing-tubby-smith-bringing-penny-hardaway

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: March 07, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »
Penny Hardaway as HC of Memphis with Larry Brown as assistant??   :surprised:

Hardaway, who played for the Tigers from 1991 to '93 before becoming a four-time NBA All-Star, currently coaches East High School (Memphis, Tenn.) and runs the Team Penny AAU program on the Nike EYBL circuit. He coaches ESPN 60 No. 1 junior James Wiseman at East, as well as five-star junior Chandler Lawson (No. 26). Five-star junior D.J. Jeffries (No. 17) also plays for Team Penny.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22672236/memphis-tigers-looking-firing-tubby-smith-bringing-penny-hardaway

Penny will have the talent, but can he coach? In the AAC, that haul of guys he has in his AAU program, should get them in the top echelon immediately.

How about Minnesota bring's Tubby back? The Richard Pitino experiment needs to die.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: March 07, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/will-becky-hammon-coach-colorado-state-mens-hoops-spurs-brass-praises-mum-trailblazer-080750394.html
Will Becky Hammon coach Colorado State men's hoops? Spurs brass praises mum trailblazer

The most intriguing, transformational and innovative potential transaction on the college coaching wire has little to do with the drama surrounding possible openings at big-name schools like Connecticut, Georgia and Memphis.

At Colorado State, where veteran coach Larry Eustachy resigned as the basketball coach, there’s been a public openness to – and even clamoring for – an unprecedented coaching hire. Athletic director Joe Parker has been quoted publicly saying that he’d considered hiring San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon as the men’s basketball coach.

She was a three-time All-American at Colorado State, has her jersey retired there and has since emerged as a star assistant coach in the NBA.

“It’s the most frequently asked question I get, and recommended candidate,” Parker told Coloradoan.com. “I’m not closing the door on any thought.”

A Colorado State source told Yahoo Sports that Hammon is considered one of the top candidates by the administration.

And by opening the door to a groundbreaking hire, the possibility looms for Hammon to be the first woman to work as a head Division I men’s basketball coach in history. Perhaps the best way to sum up how qualified Hammon is as a Colorado State candidate is that those who know her best don’t consider the move at all anomalous or unusual.

Hammon declined comment on Tuesday night through a Spurs spokesperson. She’s stayed tight-lipped to reporters around the team as well. But those who’ve seen her quietly establish herself as one of the NBA’s bright young assistant coaches have rushed to endorse her coaching potential.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, reached by phone by Yahoo Sports on Monday, lauded Hammon’s work ethic, basketball savvy and “emotional IQ that’s so important to being a successful coach.” Hammon joined the Spurs in 2014 as the first full-time paid female assistant coach on an NBA staff. Since that time, she’s perhaps stood out most by blending in. “She’s established a great presence in our group,” Buford said. “She’s got the respect of our coaches, our players and our organization. She has great insight at two different levels, both in the coaching environment and strategic discussions and she can also take [instruction] to our players and discuss with them.”

Hammon’s playing career includes six WNBA All-Star selections and she is the league’s eighth all-time leading scorer. Her coaching trajectory has ascended precipitously, as she got hired by the Spurs in 2014 and twice coached their summer league team. She led them to a summer league title in 2015. “She had great command of her team and had their respect,” said Celtics assistant Micah Shrewsberry, who coached against her that summer. “They played hard and ran good stuff. They looked like a Spurs group that had been together for a long time, not just two weeks.”

That’s the thing about Hammon. Ask about breaking barriers, and the answers come back about her simply being good at her job. The feeling around the Spurs organization is that Hammon, 40, can coach in the NBA for a long time at the highest levels. Any question about how Hammon is doing isn’t even received by Spurs officials through any prism of gender. She’s blazed a trail through quiet consistency, high intellect and earning respect in the NBA’s most respected organization.

If she got the Colorado State job, it would certainly be a big story. Just like it was when the Spurs hired her as an assistant. Soon, that faded away. “It wasn’t a big deal at the time [we hired her] because she deserved every bit of it,” Buford said. “We laugh about it. She wasn’t hired because we wanted to be trailblazers or she wanted to be one. She was hired because she was the right person to be in our group.

“My belief is that the story would last a short time, then it would be not that she’s a trailblazer, it’s that she’s the right fit.”

Hammon has had a shot to coach college basketball before, as she interviewed for the women’s coaching job at Florida last year. A person familiar with that search came away impressed: “She’s super sharp. She obviously understands basketball and has been successful at every level on the men’s and women’s side. She’s someone who isn’t afraid to be different and blaze her own path.”

She was perceived to be the leader for that job, but ultimately her career compass kept her coaching in the NBA. Would the men’s job at Colorado State have a different allure? It’s difficult to say. The biggest question would be recruiting, as it would be with any coach transitioning from professional basketball to college. “People aren’t raising that question because of gender,” said a veteran athletic director. “It’s because of skill set. Not to say she couldn’t do it, but it’s a fair question to ask.”

Another fair question: Should Hammon should stick in the NBA? She’s ascended through the league’s most lauded franchise. She’s a protégée of a coach, Gregg Popovich, who is regarded as the best in the world. And he’s consistently cast her potential as boundless.

“Becky can do anything she wants,” Popovich told reporters recently when asked about Hammon. “Whatever she wants to do in her future, I think is her choice. She’s got it all.”

Will that head-coaching potential be unfurled at Colorado State soon or in the NBA later? With Hammon, the only variable until her next seamless trailblazing path appears to be time.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: March 07, 2018, 10:40:27 AM »

You don’t need experience to coach in the NBA, they hand out those jobs to people with 0 years of coaching experience.

Like who?

Steve Kerr and Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd immediately come to mind

Derek Fisher too

Those are all good examples except for Kerr, he was in player personnel for the Suns, GM I think. Avery was an assistant fora year or two. Kidd and DFish were the ones who went directly from the court.
Old post, but weren't Kidd and DFish unmitigated disasters?
:adios:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: March 07, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »
Penny's son was class of 17 but went to IMG this year so I am sure he factors in this deal too.  He appears to be a not terribly athletic 2 star 6-4 shooting guard so my guess is this is the only way he plays above low major basketball.

I think this will work for Memphis to at least get back to top half of the AAC - he will get players and has at least coached AAU & HS for years vs the guys like Drexler and Mullins that really were never on the sideline except as players.  If LB really gets engaged they will kick ass

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: March 07, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
doubling down on cheating in the current environment seems like the right thing to do

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: March 07, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »

You don’t need experience to coach in the NBA, they hand out those jobs to people with 0 years of coaching experience.

Like who?

Steve Kerr and Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd immediately come to mind

Derek Fisher too

Those are all good examples except for Kerr, he was in player personnel for the Suns, GM I think. Avery was an assistant fora year or two. Kidd and DFish were the ones who went directly from the court.
Old post, but weren't Kidd and DFish unmitigated disasters?

Kidd was a .500 coach who went to the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons before getting fired this year. Certainly not a disaster.

And Fisher was coaching the rough ridin' knicks.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: March 07, 2018, 03:10:57 PM »
doubling down on cheating in the current environment seems like the right thing to do
it will be well over a year before anyone from the FBI investigation even goes to trial -delayed negative consequences at worst

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: March 07, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
And Fisher was coaching the rough ridin' knicks.
Fisher's choice to mess around with the Matt Barnes ex makes me question everything about him

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: March 07, 2018, 03:29:26 PM »
It isn't cheating to hire someone's HS coach or dad.  Especially justifiable when they are an alumnus and former NBA All Star
:adios:

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: March 07, 2018, 04:26:54 PM »
It isn't cheating to hire someone's HS coach or dad.  Especially justifiable when they are an alumnus and former NBA All Star

You may have missed the part about Larry Brown?

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: March 08, 2018, 09:40:49 AM »
Stallings out at Pitt after only two seasons.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/971759210051534848

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: March 08, 2018, 10:03:35 AM »
Stallings out at Pitt after only two seasons.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/971759210051534848
What a bunch of dumbfucks for letting Dixon go, but kudos for not wasting more time with that loser Stallings

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: March 10, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »
Quite the fall for Ollie.

UConn has parted ways with Kevin Ollie, as the school announced it has "initiated disciplinary procedures" to fire the head coach.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22712868/uconn-huskies-parts-ways-head-coach-kevin-ollie-citing-just-cause

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: March 10, 2018, 12:19:37 PM »
Garden City homeboy Mark Fox has been fired from Georgia.