Author Topic: Interesting post on Penn State basketball.  (Read 1557 times)

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Interesting post on Penn State basketball.
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:31:49 PM »
Interesting, at least, if you're a college basketball nerd...and in light of the recent discussions involving the Big 10.

It discusses the lack of success of the Penn State program on the court...but large success when it comes to the AD's bottom line.

And it suggests, as the following commentary states, that some schools may rather approach things this way and write it off as "the high road," rather than get "down and dirty" (although their real concern is probably cost) to win--something we hear quite a bit from our Nortards:

1. What percentage of major college sports are content with virtuous mediocrity? And is this choice more admirable than selling one's soul for championships?

I speak specifically of my alma mater, the Pennsylvania State University, which now stands at 0-12 in the Big Ten despite coming off a year in which it won the NIT championship, despite the fact that the roster includes a guard who is almost certainly the best player in the program's history. I've written previously about my alma mater's long and illustrious basketball tradition, and every time I think it might actually getting better, it seems to get precipitously worse: On Saturday, I went to watch Penn State play Michigan State at the mausoleum known as the Bryce Jordan Center, where Daughtry concerts and tractor pulls generate far more interest than anything basketball could provide. The place was half-full; I was told it was one of the best crowds of the season.* Anyway, this post at Black Shoe Diaries outlines a number of the major issues, and also hints at the larger philosophical issue, which is whether it is perhaps more noble--given that modern college basketball is essentially sanctioned mafia warfare--to lose with dignity rather than win ignominiously.

MCMW, man.  MCMW.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting post on Penn State basketball.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »
It's scary to think about, but of course it's true.  The administration has much more control over whether the program thrives than any other factor, be it coaching, players, facilities, what have you.  It all flows downward.  The commitment (money) has to be there, or else you get K-State basketball circa 1994.

The practice facility is excellent news -- let's hope this means Currie/Schultz want a winner at K-State and that they retain Frank.
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 12:48:09 PM »
Speaking of Big 12 basketball, feel sorry for SLTH legend Bill Carmody.  Had so much momentum to finally get Northwestern into the dance, but looks like they are going to the NIT again.  Sad really.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »
good links.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:47:42 PM »
Taylor Battle is really really really soft.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
Chris Babb :lol:
Where did you get that overnight bag?