Author Topic: The Official Bracketology Thread  (Read 378412 times)

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bracketology Thread
« Reply #2350 on: March 07, 2018, 05:17:05 PM »
ASU just lost to Colorado  :dunno:
Wasn't barely losing to them our best accomplishment in the non-con?

They aren't the same team they we faced or beat Xavier & Ku.   They are trending the wrong way (lost 5 of 6)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
The Official Bracketology Thread
« Reply #2351 on: March 07, 2018, 05:21:34 PM »

They aren't the same team they we faced or beat Xavier & Ku.   They are trending the wrong way (lost 5 of 6)
I mean, I know what you are saying, but they are as much the same team as anyone else is from the beginning to the end of a season. What is the representative sample size for a given team for a comparison to have any meaning?

SOS, RPI, etc have decided that the sample size is the season. :dunno:
:adios:

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: March 07, 2018, 05:38:25 PM »
FSU lost. NC st Lost. 
Matrix had them #34 #35 (and Cats #38)
I had them 1 and 2 spots ahead of us

Beat Tcu and I think it's almost a given we are in 8 vs 9 game at worst

I'd rather be a 10, or win a bunch and get to a 7. I don't want anything with a 8/9 game.
This is why I barely care about our seed right now. A 7 vs a 10 seed? Meh, theoretically we play an easier opponent as a 7, but really we all know it's more about matchups than seed when we're talking about those seeds. And yes, would rather be a 10 than an 8 or 9. With 6 out of reach, it's hard to care too much.

I think you're dancing around what I am getting at, but to me it's all about the 2nd round matchup vs the 2/15 seed than it is vs the 1 seed. I know 1's aren't infallible once you get to that second round, and it's also kinda lolers to think about the next matchup when oscar has a real hard time making it to the next round, but 2 seeds IMO are more vulnerable that 1's, and they do also seem to have a 15 upset a 2 ever other tourny or so, so you got a chance against a more beatable team, and then the potential of playing a 15 anyways. You never have that in the 8/9 slot. Plus, you got more of that shot of having a FF Kentucky-like team from that level in that game.

If you are going to be a lower seed, the 7/10, or if you can get to a 6, are the ideal. I dislike 8/9's.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: March 07, 2018, 06:04:19 PM »
I posted this before, but....

Recent history, last 8 years-
1 seed lost in 2nd Rd 6x
2 seed lost in 2nd Rd 10x
2 seed lost to 15 in 1st Rd 3x

So yes, 8/9 has been less ideal.  So i see what your line of reasoning is.  I don't want to see 1 seeds Nova or Virginia. At the same time Duke and Cincy as 2 seeds are not to my liking at all. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: March 07, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »
KState is always going to be underseeded.  Hell, the Cats could go 25-5 and win the league next year then get a #2 seed.  It's partially because no one will take Weber seriously because he sounds like Marge Simpson when talking.

Another person trying to put some of the fault on Weber, when he has nothing to do with it.

For the most part, Ksu has got seeded where I thought they would. Last year, 2014, 2010, 2012 were exactly where I thought. Beasley's year I thought we deserved better than a 11.  Pullen's senior year I thought we would get a 6 and got a 5. McGruder's senior year, I thought we had a shot at a 3, but got a 4
those seeds were about selling tickets

Curious conspiracy theory, Alex Jones. KU was at both of those pod sites.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: March 07, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »

I mean, I know what you are saying, but they are as much the same team as anyone else is from the beginning to the end of a season. What is the representative sample size for a given team for a comparison to have any meaning?

SOS, RPI, etc have decided that the sample size is the season. :dunno:
What a weird team. They were so hot in the non-con and then crap the bed in a bad P5 conference. Are they filled with FR? Maybe they didn't have the legs or something.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2356 on: March 07, 2018, 07:46:09 PM »
The only reason they beat us was because of a bullshit 30+ FT disparity. It's a bunch of midget guards that aren't particularly good shooters.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: March 07, 2018, 07:49:28 PM »
I would love to match their non-con wins vs other teams tho. 2 wins vs possible 1 seeds and us. Not sure who else they beat until they finally lost in conference.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: March 07, 2018, 08:53:08 PM »
Go UNC!

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: March 07, 2018, 08:53:44 PM »
FSU lost. NC st Lost. 
Matrix had them #34 #35 (and Cats #38)
I had them 1 and 2 spots ahead of us

Beat Tcu and I think it's almost a given we are in 8 vs 9 game at worst

I'd rather be a 10, or win a bunch and get to a 7. I don't want anything with a 8/9 game.
This is why I barely care about our seed right now. A 7 vs a 10 seed? Meh, theoretically we play an easier opponent as a 7, but really we all know it's more about matchups than seed when we're talking about those seeds. And yes, would rather be a 10 than an 8 or 9. With 6 out of reach, it's hard to care too much.

I think you're dancing around what I am getting at, but to me it's all about the 2nd round matchup vs the 2/15 seed than it is vs the 1 seed. I know 1's aren't infallible once you get to that second round, and it's also kinda lolers to think about the next matchup when oscar has a real hard time making it to the next round, but 2 seeds IMO are more vulnerable that 1's, and they do also seem to have a 15 upset a 2 ever other tourny or so, so you got a chance against a more beatable team, and then the potential of playing a 15 anyways. You never have that in the 8/9 slot. Plus, you got more of that shot of having a FF Kentucky-like team from that level in that game.

If you are going to be a lower seed, the 7/10, or if you can get to a 6, are the ideal. I dislike 8/9's.
I was 100% agreeing with your earlier post.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: March 07, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »
I would love to match their non-con wins vs other teams tho. 2 wins vs possible 1 seeds and us. Not sure who else they beat until they finally lost in conference.

They beat Xavier KState St John's on neutral court. Won at Ku. 12-0 non con.  They went 3-10 in Q1/Q2 games vs P12 teams. 

I give their Ku Xavier wins more weight than normal Q1 wins because they were away from home. So instead of 3/4 on Q1-Q2 wins, I really see it as 4/4.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: March 07, 2018, 09:08:45 PM »
Texas better not blow my 9-team-dream
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: March 07, 2018, 09:53:16 PM »
Lots of potential 8-9 seeds lost today.
VT Ou NCSt and FSU all lost.
All Q2 losses, except Q1 for Noles.
These were #30,33,34,35 on the Matrix

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: March 08, 2018, 12:05:53 AM »
I really don't want an 8/9 seed.

I do, however, like that the Big 12 is trending to a 9 team berth and that the conference currently has 4 bubble teams, none of which are K-State.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: March 08, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »
One thing to bear in mind regarding seeding is that with the Big 12 getting as many teams as we're going to get, with the tournament profiles so close, there's going to be some weird seeding. Some seed lines will deviate a couple of lines from where they're projected to make the field work with all of the bracketing rules in place.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: March 08, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »
One thing to bear in mind regarding seeding is that with the Big 12 getting as many teams as we're going to get, with the tournament profiles so close, there's going to be some weird seeding. Some seed lines will deviate a couple of lines from where they're projected to make the field work with all of the bracketing rules in place.
the fact that they are selecting the teams and then seeding them/building the bracket on sunday is going to be very strange.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: March 08, 2018, 09:29:45 AM »
the fact that they are selecting the teams and then seeding them/building the bracket on sunday is going to be very strange.
I'm kinda excited for that. Sounds kinda fun.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: March 08, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »

wait they are going to announce the whole field first, and then later announce where each school is going to be seeded?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: March 08, 2018, 09:36:11 AM »
Yes, why wouldn't you stick around for that? It's genius.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: March 08, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »
yeah, could be fun

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: March 08, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »
For the sake of transparency, and mega ratings, the NCAA should live stream the selection committee's full deliberation process.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: March 08, 2018, 09:53:52 AM »
I would love all of that crap. I'd like for them to finally admit too that they look at bracketology's to make their job easier.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: March 08, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
For the sake of transparency, and mega ratings, the NCAA should live stream the selection committee's full deliberation process.

I would love all of that crap. I'd like for them to finally admit too that they look at bracketology's to make their job easier.

They definitely don't look at bracket projections. The process is pretty transparent and that's why it's relatively easy to project the field. They invite media to do a mock process within the year using.the actual metrics on the team sheets. Seeding would be the only thing remotely worth watching and that process takes three to four days, that would be pretty dry to watch on Facebook live or YouTube.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: March 08, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: March 08, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »

They definitely don't look at bracket projections. The process is pretty transparent and that's why it's relatively easy to project the field. They invite media to do a mock process within the year using.the actual metrics on the team sheets. Seeding would be the only thing remotely worth watching and that process takes three to four days, that would be pretty dry to watch on Facebook live or YouTube.

I'm mostly looking for some reality TV drama and the aftermath when bubble teams hear why they didn't make it.  Maybe it would just be a room full of boring people crunching numbers and politely agreeing with each other though.