Author Topic: 2024 NCAA Tournament Thread  (Read 7833 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 NCAA Tournament Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 08, 2024, 09:31:54 AM »
south carolina should win today by 10+
That SC team is absolutely stacked. An undefeated season is an incredible accomplishment.
tessa johnson is only a freshman, raven and kitts are sophomores :lol:

they’re going to be very good for a while

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2024, 12:07:11 PM »
south carolina should win today by 10+
That SC team is absolutely stacked. An undefeated season is an incredible accomplishment.
tessa johnson is only a freshman, raven and kitts are sophomores :lol:

they’re going to be very good for a while
Staley may surpass Pat Summitt and Geno if she keeps this up. Plus, she is doing it in an era where there is more than one elite team at a time in WBB.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 08, 2024, 09:12:35 PM »
Good first half for Edey but it looks like UCONN just has more left in the tank as a team.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 08, 2024, 10:15:25 PM »
Purdue decided to live or die by Edey but he was not up to the task this time.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 08, 2024, 10:20:19 PM »
UConn is an absolute machine. Purdue just completely outclassed on the boards. UConn is able to get their shot whenever and wherever they want.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 08, 2024, 10:28:15 PM »
UConn is an absolute machine. Purdue just completely outclassed on the boards. UConn is able to get their shot whenever and wherever they want.
Great play out of that TO. They are very good passers.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2024, 01:52:37 AM »

Bro had 37 & 10, wasn't his fault

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2024, 06:55:58 AM »

This

And he had them in foul trouble with lots of time left. Just couldn’t get anything else going.

Really impressive by UConn. Just dominant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2024, 07:26:51 AM »
UCONN now with 6 Natty's (more than Duke, Indiana or KU), tied with N. Carolina, all in the past 25 seasons.

College basketball teams with the most national championships
UCLA — 11
Kentucky — 8
UConn — 6
North Carolina — 6
Duke — 5
Indiana — 5
Kansas — 4
Villanova — 3
Cincinnati — 2
Florida — 2
Louisville — 2
Michigan State — 2
NC State — 2
Oklahoma State — 2
San Francisco — 2

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 09, 2024, 07:33:44 AM »

UCONN now with 6 Natty's (more than Duke, Indiana or KU), tied with N. Carolina, all in the past 25 seasons.

UCLA — 11
Kentucky — 8
UConn — 6
North Carolina — 6
Duke — 5
Indiana — 5
Kansas — 4
Villanova — 3
Cincinnati — 2
Florida — 2
Louisville — 2
Michigan State — 2
NC State — 2
Oklahoma State — 2
San Francisco — 2

That's pretty wild.

Also I've mentioned this before but UConn might be the most rural school of its size in the country. Like, calling Storrs a "town" probably makes it seem more significant of a place than it actually is.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 09, 2024, 08:14:40 AM »

UCLA — 11
Kentucky — 8
UConn — 6
North Carolina — 6
Duke — 5
Indiana — 5
Kansas — 4
Villanova — 3
Cincinnati — 2
Florida — 2
Louisville — 2
Michigan State — 2
NC State — 2
Oklahoma State — 2
San Francisco — 2

That's pretty wild.

Also I've mentioned this before but UConn might be the most rural school of its size in the country. Like, calling Storrs a "town" probably makes it seem more significant of a place than it actually is.
Interesting, wikipedia lists the population of Storrs at 15K. I had always assumed that it was situated inside an east coast megalopolis.

Edit: some more crazy UConn facts:

https://twitter.com/awaytoworthy/status/1777546473795621311
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:44:29 AM by Sandstone Outcropping »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 09, 2024, 08:57:24 AM »

UCLA — 11
Kentucky — 8
UConn — 6
North Carolina — 6
Duke — 5
Indiana — 5
Kansas — 4
Villanova — 3
Cincinnati — 2
Florida — 2
Louisville — 2
Michigan State — 2
NC State — 2
Oklahoma State — 2
San Francisco — 2

That's pretty wild.

Interesting, wikipedia lists the population of Storrs at 15K. I had always assumed that it was situated inside an east coast megalopolis.

I always assumed it was just outside NYC but nope!

Most of that is Uconn

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 09, 2024, 09:27:09 AM »

Obviously not saying it’s his fault. It just seemed obvious that Purdue had no backup plan.

Edey turned it on a bit at after my post when UConn’s big got in foul trouble, but they never overcame that slump from early in the second half where he went cold.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 09, 2024, 09:32:22 AM »

I really wonder whether that’s a coincidence or not. I definitely feel like some teams are built for tournament rather than conference play.

I always liked the teams with a gimmick like “Press Virginia” or Syracuse with that 2-3 zone. Your in conference opponents will know what to expect and how to break it, but there isn’t much time for tournament opponents to adjust.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 09, 2024, 09:41:30 AM »
not sure if It Just Be Like That, but every time they showed a slo-mo replay where Eddy was involved (both defense and offense) he would just whack the crap out of whoever was in his vicinity. Specifically i'm remembering Eddy going for a slam dunk and the uconn guy tried to block it but his hand went thru the net and it was called goal tending but at the moment the ball rimmed out and Eddy seemed kinda mad that his dunk didn't count in the traditional sense, then on the way down (to the floor) Eddy just smacked that dude right in the mouth.

Another time was on defense the uconn guy drove the lane and did kind of a circus shot over Eddy's outstretched arms and then on the way down Eddy swatted that guy too.

In both cases it didn't really look like anything in real time, and the uconn players didn't try to sell the contact.

I have never played collegiate basketball (or professional) so i'm not sure if that's just how it goes sometimes or if Eddy is kind of a dirty bitch?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 09, 2024, 10:14:34 AM »
not sure if It Just Be Like That, but every time they showed a slo-mo replay where Eddy was involved (both defense and offense) he would just whack the crap out of whoever was in his vicinity. Specifically i'm remembering Eddy going for a slam dunk and the uconn guy tried to block it but his hand went thru the net and it was called goal tending but at the moment the ball rimmed out and Eddy seemed kinda mad that his dunk didn't count in the traditional sense, then on the way down (to the floor) Eddy just smacked that dude right in the mouth.

Another time was on defense the uconn guy drove the lane and did kind of a circus shot over Eddy's outstretched arms and then on the way down Eddy swatted that guy too.

In both cases it didn't really look like anything in real time, and the uconn players didn't try to sell the contact.

I have never played collegiate basketball (or professional) so i'm not sure if that's just how it goes sometimes or if Eddy is kind of a dirty bitch?

I played professionally, but not collegiately.

As to Storrs, it does feel like the middle of nowhere. Closest major metro is Hartford, I think, if you can even call Hartford a major metro. I stayed there for a few days in middle school, and I can't remember a single thing about Storrs other than the campus.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 09, 2024, 10:23:18 AM »
UCONNs AD is legit broke, the whole thing is just one big riddle.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 09, 2024, 12:14:54 PM »
well I now have my talking points if anyone ever talks crap about recruiting disadvantages of mhk again

locked and loaded, baby

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 09, 2024, 04:59:52 PM »

As to Storrs, it does feel like the middle of nowhere. Closest major metro is Hartford, I think, if you can even call Hartford a major metro. I stayed there for a few days in middle school, and I can't remember a single thing about Storrs other than the campus.

Hartford is absolutely a major metro, but when you're in Storrs, it may as well be two hours away. UConn has not traditionally done well with NYC kids because if you really want to stay close to home Storrs is a crap deal. It's 2.5 hours to NYC in good traffic. You can't even take a train from Storrs to NYC or Boston, you have to get to New Haven, which is an hour away, then take the commuter rail to the city.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 09, 2024, 05:11:58 PM »

Hartford is absolutely a major metro, but when you're in Storrs, it may as well be two hours away. UConn has not traditionally done well with NYC kids because if you really want to stay close to home Storrs is a crap deal. It's 2.5 hours to NYC in good traffic. You can't even take a train from Storrs to NYC or Boston, you have to get to New Haven, which is an hour away, then take the commuter rail to the city.

121,000 souls, per the 2020 census. It's a nice, historic city, featuring Mark Twain's house and some old graveyards, but is that really a major metro?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 10, 2024, 02:05:41 AM »

121,000 souls, per the 2020 census. It's a nice, historic city, featuring Mark Twain's house and some old graveyards, but is that really a major metro?

You looked that up but didn't bother to look up the population of the Hartford Metro? 1.2 million people. Also Hartford, like basically everything between  Quincy, MA and Stamford, CT, is a massive sack of crap.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 10, 2024, 09:52:02 AM »
Yup. You're right. I'm wrong.  :thumbs: