Author Topic: Gregg Marshall  (Read 11099 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Gregg Marshall
« on: February 18, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: Gregg Marshall
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
 :lol:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 12:39:11 PM »
Popular topic on the twitter.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »
lol.  Lutz was the lead HS sports guy in the 'ta when I was in HS.  he could tweak people with his cynicism. 

Marshall got baited and Lutz set the hook.  should turn out a lot better for Lutz than Marshall.

Offline Testy Westy

• Katpak'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:58 PM »
I bet Nebraska hires him next year

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 01:18:24 AM »
:lol:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 06:59:03 AM »
Holy crap that fist pump at the end.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 08:51:43 AM »
The shorts make it all the better.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 09:21:26 AM »
Holy crap that fist pump at the end.

i think he was trying to straighten his watch or whatever, but that makes it even better

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 09:22:39 AM »
He throws a better fit than Self.  That was a great audition for the job when Bill is gone.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 10:13:31 AM »
I also love the 19 year old broadcaster who does not know how to process it

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 10:16:52 AM »

Gregg marshall has gone bonkers!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 10:28:28 AM »

it's like a baseball..........!?

it's like a baseball.........!?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 10:37:46 AM »
Incredible! Gregg Marshall.........not happy at all

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
Gregg didn't want any piece of those refs.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »
Premium subscribers only from this point forth.

From The Athletic, ol boy is a bitch

Wichita State is conducting an internal investigation into the behavior of men’s basketball coach Gregg Marshall, multiple sources told The Athletic. Marshall confirmed the investigation on Thursday.

School officials have interviewed players on the current team, as well as former players about their experiences inside the program, and although Wichita State officials declined comment, citing privacy laws, Marshall wrote in a text message to The Athletic: “I’m aware the university conducted interviews and I fully participated in the process. I look forward to having it wrapped up as I continue to focus my energy on our team.”

The investigation comes after the Shockers experienced an exodus last spring with six scholarship players plus a walk-on transferring. In addition, 2020 commit Ja’Dun Michael asked out of his letter of intent. One source said a player voiced concerns about Marshall’s behavior to university administrators before transferring.

The most damning allegations are from the 2015-16 season. They include:

• During a practice that season, Shaq Morris attempted to block teammate Zach Brown’s shot. Brown fell awkwardly on the play, and Marshall rushed over and began chewing out Morris for what he deemed a dirty play and then shoved Morris in the back, according to multiple players who witnessed the incident.

Marshall told Morris to “get the eff out of practice” and then followed him out of the practice gym, two players said. Before Morris could exit the double doors of the gym, Marshall ran up behind Morris and punched Morris between the shoulders near his neck, according to the players. An assistant coach intervened.

Morris did not respond to a text message seeking comment for this story.

• In the preseason that year, a staff member was working out a group of players and Marshall was not pleased with the session. Marshall approached the staff member and started berating him, then put one of his hands around his neck, according to two people who were present.

• In the spring of 2016, in an incident widely discussed in the athletic department, Marshall was approaching his parking spot outside of his office at Koch Arena and a student-athlete from another sport was pulling out of Marshall’s spot. It was a regular occurrence for students to park in Marshall’s spot to run in quickly to the tutoring center. If Marshall discovered someone parked in his spot, he would typically double park behind the car. As Marshall approached his spot that day, he did not get there fast enough to block the student in. Instead, Marshall quickly turned his car around and followed the student’s car, eventually blocking his car at an intersection in the parking lot. According to an eyewitness, Marshall got out of his car and started yelling at the student, asking “Do you know who the eff I am?”

The student had his window down and responded, “I don’t give a eff who you are.” Marshall approached the car and, according to the eyewitness, attempted to punch the student through the driver’s window.

Asked via text message to address the allegations, Marshall did not respond.

Within the athletic department, Marshall’s combativeness was well known.

“It wasn’t just players — the academic people, the marketing, everybody. If you had to associate with Wichita State basketball, you got caught in the crossfire,” one former player said. “I lost respect for him because I saw the way he treated my teammates and other people.”

Through the years, players left the Wichita State program, but until 2018 when Austin Reaves transferred, Marshall said he never lost a player to transfer he didn’t want to lose. That changed this offseason. In an interview with The Athletic in early April, Marshall said he had not managed personalities well as an explanation for the exodus.

Among the five players who transferred to Division I schools, Jamarius Burton (Texas Tech), Grant Sherfield (New Mexico), Noah Fernandes (Massachusetts) and Asbjorn Midtgaard (Grand Canyon) have all received waivers to play immediately. No announcement has been made on the waiver of Erik Stevenson, who transferred to Washington.

Marshall is entering his 14th season at Wichita State, where he has built a consistent winner. The Shockers reached the Final Four in 2013, followed that up with a perfect regular season in 2014 and had a run of seven straight NCAA Tournament appearances.

The Shockers underwent a rebuild after the 2018 season and were in Year 2 of it last year. It appeared to be going well as they finished the 2018-19 season strong, making it to the postseason NIT semifinals, and then went 23-8 in 2019-20 before the season ended prematurely. After the mass defections, Wichita State signed seven players for the 2020-21 season, including three high school players, three junior college guys and one grad transfer.

One former player who spoke with The Athletic on the condition of anonymity said he wished he had known about Marshall’s behavior when he was recruited.

“This thing’s been going on before I came around, and no one warned me,” he said. “For me, it’s about helping the next kid. I wouldn’t be telling this if I didn’t think it was going to help somebody.”

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 09:40:24 PM »
Somebody had to pick up the slack after Gene Stephenson left.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2020, 11:06:09 PM »
Gross

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2020, 11:29:07 PM »
• In the preseason that year, a staff member was working out a group of players and Marshall was not pleased with the session. Marshall approached the staff member and started berating him, then put one of his hands around his neck, according to two people who were present.

Lol at one hand.

• In the spring of 2016, in an incident widely discussed in the athletic department, Marshall was approaching his parking spot outside of his office at Koch Arena and a student-athlete from another sport was pulling out of Marshall’s spot. It was a regular occurrence for students to park in Marshall’s spot to run in quickly to the tutoring center. If Marshall discovered someone parked in his spot, he would typically double park behind the car. As Marshall approached his spot that day, he did not get there fast enough to block the student in. Instead, Marshall quickly turned his car around and followed the student’s car, eventually blocking his car at an intersection in the parking lot. According to an eyewitness, Marshall got out of his car and started yelling at the student, asking “Do you know who the eff I am?”

The student had his window down and responded, “I don’t give a eff who you are.” Marshall approached the car and, according to the eyewitness, attempted to punch the student through the driver’s window.

:love:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 11:56:23 PM »
this one has some new nuggs

https://watchstadium.com/sources-wichita-states-gregg-marshall-punched-player-choked-assistant-10-08-2020/

“Shaq walks away and Marshall punches him in the back of the head,” a former player said. “I’m in disbelief. He’s done flagrant stuff, but that was probably the reason I (transferred). I lost respect for him as a man. The worst part is that Shaq had told Marshall earlier that day that his mom had cancer.”

Marshall taunted junior forward Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler, who is of Native American descent, “to get back on his horse” and made “Indian howling noises” while in practice during the 2018-19 season.

Erik Stevenson was wide open and didn’t shoot the ball one day in practice this past season. The player closing out on him defensively was black. While in film session, Marshall paused the film. “I think you’re afraid of brothers, guys raised by their grandparents eating PB&J’s.” One black player told Stadium he felt that was a racist remark.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 05:16:47 AM »
You'd have to be combative to stay married to that psycho.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2020, 08:20:47 AM »
Wow, who could have possibly seen this coming?

There's little doubt in my mind that had the WSU administration known about this, they would have immediately acted. 

If there's one thing we know about the history of WSU and that is, it's a school and athletic department that doesn't enable a bad situation.  They act immediately.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2020, 09:02:37 AM »
Marshall's reputation is well known among ADs across the country. It's why he's still at WSU despite interviewing for several more prominent jobs over the years. At this point, the big time schools don't even bother with interviewing him anymore.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2020, 09:20:26 AM »
Wow, who could have possibly seen this coming?

There's little doubt in my mind that had the WSU administration known about this, they would have immediately acted. 

If there's one thing we know about the history of WSU and that is, it's a school and athletic department that doesn't enable a bad situation.  They act immediately.

im assuming this is a gene stephenson reference? i mean i'm sure there have been some questionable decisions in the AD over the years but it all seems pretty small timey type stuff?