Author Topic: Holy War  (Read 137683 times)

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Religion,Bible,Church, Etc. Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2011, 07:53:45 AM »
I don't like rules.  I like meditation/hypnosis stuff. The mind is more fascinating to me.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »

26 and to current - came to believe (to me personally) that christianity (outside of some crap that I think was developed by the church ie. people) is pretty much the most fullfilling way to live life. 

Good way to put it. I was atheist for a while because I didn't know how to separate what the Bible says, and what people say. It's pretty incredible how many things get translated inaccurately to the common public. 

Both of these are good calls. JMHO.

"The Church" throughout history has done all types of messed up stuff. But when people without accountability do things for long periods of time this kind of stuff tends to happen, "religion" or otherwise.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2011, 09:15:09 AM »
Did you never notice that the sky is all the way to the ground?

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
I would love to read the bible someday if they made it a lot shorter and easier to read.

Read the New Testament. It's 250-300 pages depending on print size.

It's the most important part. Read an ESV or NIV translation for an easy/accurate read. Or even The Message for a modern take.

(New Testament = Matthew through Revelation)

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
I would love to read the bible someday if they made it a lot shorter and easier to read. With pictures and stuff.

It's actually really good.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »
I would have liked to have been a part of the group that decided what books would and wouldn't get in the bible.  First of all, the new testement repeats itself over and over (except for the parts that disagree with the other parts) and then Revelations is tossed onto the end as a huge WTF.  Everyone has had bad dreams, they are fun to talk about.  But, slapping some random d00d's nightmare onto the end of the new testement is a pretty shitty decision on the part of the decider guys.  I would have also left out the poetry.  It's fine, or whatever, but doesn't really vibe with the whole story of God thing imo. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
I would have liked to have been a part of the group that decided what books would and wouldn't get in the bible.  First of all, the new testement repeats itself over and over (except for the parts that disagree with the other parts) and then Revelations is tossed onto the end as a huge WTF.  Everyone has had bad dreams, they are fun to talk about.  But, slapping some random d00d's nightmare onto the end of the new testement is a pretty cacty decision on the part of the decider guys.  I would have also left out the poetry.  It's fine, or whatever, but doesn't really vibe with the whole story of God thing imo. 

This really goes overlooked IMO in regards to what was put in and left out.  Talk about being able to shape history with decisions to either omit or put in various books into a text.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »
we’re walking around in it. We’re in the sky. There is sky and there is ground and we’re somewhere in between. That is where we live.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2011, 10:33:37 AM »
If you want to read something, you should go to my book recommendation thread.

There's a lot of stuff out there that's a lot better than the bible.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=3492.0

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »
For religion. Without it our society would be very drab and utilitarian.  Or chaotic.  Not sure which, don't want to find out.

Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »
For religion. Without it our society would be very drab and utilitarian.  Or chaotic.  Not sure which, don't want to find out.

This is true.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »

This is true.
Maybe.  Hard to say for sure.

Offline KSU187

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2011, 11:04:31 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramahansa_Yogananda

The Second Coming of Christ

The Divine Romance

Man's Eternal Quest

Great books...

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »

This is true.

yeah but the basic premise of the major religions is to follow the rules and be nice to people and stuff.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »

This is true.

yeah but the basic premise of the major religions is to follow the rules and be nice to people and stuff.

Morality wouldn't change if religion didn't exist. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »

This is true.

disagree.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »

This is true.

disagree.
Morality wouldn't change, but people wouldn't give a flying hoot if they lived immoral lives.

Morals exist beyond religion, they are related but not tied together.  IMO.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »
I don't buy that people wouldn't care if they aren't moral without religion.  I would say over half of my friends are agnostic/atheist/whatever and I can't see a discernible difference in their morality because of it....I think I could actually do a break down of it and show an adverse relationship using just my friends but they are weird.  I mean, ultimately religion (at least christianity) just gives you a built in excuse (born sinful) and easy way out (repent/believe in Jesus).  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:36:05 AM by steve dave »

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
I don't buy that people wouldn't care if they aren't moral without religion.  I would say over half of my friends are agnostic/atheist/whatever and I can't see a discernible difference in their morality because of it....I think I could actually do a break down of it and show an adverse relationship using just my friends but they are weird.  I mean, ultimately religion (at least christianity) just gives you a built in excuse (born sinful) and easy way out (repent/believe in Jesus). 
Just depends on what morals you are talking about.  I don't think the big ones would change (golden rule, killing, stealing, etc). 

Athiest/agnostic don't exist without religion.  They don't believe in any of it or whatever, but they still live in a religious society, thus it's tough to judge anything based on their behavior.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2011, 11:48:20 AM »
chicken/egg SD.  I took it as there was never religion. 

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
small sample size here, but i can say that since "becoming" agnostic I have had one hell of a time not raping the crap out of people/animals/the environment.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
Everyone, everywhere conforms to basic morality. It is in us and proof that there must be something going on beyond simply our societies, etc.

People are born under morality and act as such. If I steal a man's food, he won't like it, he will feel wronged, no matter how he typically acts or feels. This is true no matter what background a person has or where they live or believe.

A big bang did not form this.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2011, 12:17:01 PM »
Mods, please re title this thread as "Psychopath Poet Warrior Guy Bait Thread"

TIA

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »
Everyone, everywhere conforms to basic morality. It is in us and proof that there must be something going on beyond simply our societies, etc.

People are born under morality and act as such. If I steal a man's food, he won't like it, he will feel wronged, no matter how he typically acts or feels. This is true no matter what background a person has or where they live or believe.

Agree with this 100%

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2011, 12:36:16 PM »

None of this is true at all.