Author Topic: Bill Self  (Read 21867 times)

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Self
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »
#1 in the country.  25-1.  Just won a national championship in '08.  Multiple NBA draft picks, including a few NBA lottery picks.  Six straight Big 12 titles.  2009 AP National Coach of the Year.  The list goes on. 

Self is very good at doing things that are very good for Self

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
If anything, the success Self has been able to have without a bunch of NBA all-stars makes his accomplishments even more impressive.  I can understand why K-State fans would be incredibly jealous.  

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »
Yes, because it's so hard to win with all of those McD AA's at the collegiate level . . . particularly when all the guys they came into college basketball with have already moved on.    :rolleyes:

On that note, it becomes quite apparent that it's really all about Bill.

UNC has SEVEN McDonald's All-Americans and is sitting at 14-12 right now after losing 8 of 10.  It's not easy.  The most Self has had at KU is three.  Hell, Oklahoma has three McDonald's All-Americans this year, and they're near the bottom of the Big 12.   

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »
That really wasn't the point Ben.

Roy Williams has been a head coach for 21 years now . . . I think we can allow him to have one bad season coming off a national championship. 

If it becomes a trend, then you might have a point.   

Bullsh*t.  If anything, Roy Williams' success at the collegiate level just strengthens my point.  

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 02:56:42 PM »
Yes, because it's so hard to win with all of those McD AA's at the collegiate level . . . particularly when all the guys they came into college basketball with have already moved on.    :rolleyes:

On that note, it becomes quite apparent that it's really all about Bill.

UNC has SEVEN McDonald's All-Americans and is sitting at 14-12 right now after losing 8 of 10.  It's not easy.  The most Self has had at KU is three.  Hell, Oklahoma has three McDonald's All-Americans this year, and they're near the bottom of the Big 12.   

Roy likes kids and making sure they succeed in life.  Bill, not so much.  Roy cares about others and is selfless relatively speaking.  there are things more important to Roy than winning.  Bill will sacrifice the future of young men everywhere to get what he wants.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 02:58:31 PM »
#1 in the country.  25-1.  Just won a national championship in '08.  Multiple NBA draft picks, including a few NBA lottery picks.  Six straight Big 12 titles.  2009 AP National Coach of the Year.  The list goes on. 

Self is very good at doing things that are very good for Self

It's his forte.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »
Still just amazed that Cole passed up NBA millions for Compton's hundreds of thousands.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
Bill Self ensures that top players set aside their dreams to fullfill Bill Self's dreams, and stuff his wallet (albeit the kids get some decent money as well, but nothing like what Bill gets)  . . . only seeing their NBA draft stock plummet the longer they stay at ku.    This has shown to be the case on numerous occassions.

Bullsh*t.  Ellington, Lawson, Hansbrough, Green, etc, all came back to UNC to win a national championship last year.  Noah, Horford, Brewer, and Green all came back to win a championship at Florida in '07.  You K-State powertards just don't understand the significance of winning a national title. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »
My comments have absolutely nothing to do with UNC Ben . . . nothing.  But nice effort.

Oh, so now you're trying your best impression of michigancat.  Nice.  My comments really have nothing to do with UNC, either, 'Pad.  Just pointing out that the last three national champions all had NBA prospects return to school for another year.   

Offline chuckhasawillie

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 03:16:57 PM »
yea all those players came back for florida and unc. but unlike the players at ku their draft stock either went up or stayed the same. that is not case with ku. just look at arthur went from one and done to the 27th pick of the draft. but hey maybe he was willing to trade millions of dollars for a national championship. i wouldnt but that is just me.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
yea all those players came back for florida and unc. but unlike the players at ku their draft stock either went up or stayed the same. that is not case with ku. just look at arthur went from one and done to the 27th pick of the draft. but hey maybe he was willing to trade millions of dollars for a national championship. i wouldnt but that is just me.

Arthur had controversy surrounding his health.  That's why he dropped to 27th.  How do you blame that on Self?

The42Yardstick

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »
Don't really care about the NBA anyway :users:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
Pretty much what Chuck said.    Most of the guys on the other team either stayed status quo or improved their NBA stock.    While I don't pay that much attention to the NBA were any of the guys from Florida or UNC sitting in the green room all embarrassed at the NBA draft??

Like I pointed out, Arthur's stock went down because of questions regarding his health.  If anything, that's the fault of his agent for not getting on the phone and setting the record straight for the NBA scouts.  With Collins, he'll be drafted higher in the 2010 NBA Draft than he would have been last year.  Last year's draft was stacked with point guards.... guys like Lawson, Rubio, Jennings, Curry, Flynn, Evans, Teague, etc.  

As for UNC and Florida's prospects, I'd have to go back and do some research, but I did notice that Wayne Ellington wasn't selected until 28th in last year's draft.  He was projected lottery coming out of high school. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 03:32:10 PM »
Maybe he should have gone a year earlier Ben.  

But I see it didn't take you long to get right back into "no perceived slight of ku will go unchallanged" mode.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 03:32:17 PM »
Don't really care about the NBA anyway :users:

nor does Seff.  so that's a good thing i guess.   :tongue:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »

But I see it didn't take you long to get right back into "no perceived slight of ku will go unchallanged" mode.

You wish Arthur would have left a year earlier so that KU wouldn't have won the '08 national title.  That's what this is all about.  Should Ed Davis have left UNC after last year? 

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »

You wish Arthur would have left a year earlier so that KU wouldn't have won the '08 national title.  That's what this is all about.  Should Ed Davis have left UNC after last year? 

Sorry I offended you BMW.  It certainly wasn't my intent.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 04:28:22 PM »

So if he couldnt pass high school algebra they wouldnt have won one either?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 04:29:46 PM »
Interesting statoid about HCBS & HCFM-

HCBS winning % (thru 7 seasons):  .826
HCFM winning % (this season):  .840

wow, looks like HCFM is owning HCBS in this stat category too.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DOOMsday

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 04:34:42 PM »
Bill Self ensures that top players set aside their dreams to fullfill Bill Self's dreams, and stuff his wallet (albeit the kids get some decent money as well, but nothing like what Bill gets)  . . . only seeing their NBA draft stock plummet the longer they stay at ku.    This has shown to be the case on numerous occassions.

Bullsh*t.  Ellington, Lawson, Hansbrough, Green, etc, all came back to UNC to win a national championship last year.  Noah, Horford, Brewer, and Green all came back to win a championship at Florida in '07.  You K-State powertards just don't understand the significance of winning a national title. 

Jesus, no one touts winning a title a few years ago like KU fans.  UNC doesn't even talk about being the defending national champs.  JOIN US IN THE PRESENT.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 04:35:41 PM »

great stat.  fantastic.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »

great stat.  fantastic.

Speaking of stats where Frank owns Self:

Self:  Avg. player taken 32nd
Frank: Avg. player taken 24th

Self: Highest player taken 13th
Frank: highest player taken 2nd

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »
Beasley and Walker are Huggins recruits.... same way that Deron Williams and Dee Brown are Self recruits. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
Beasley and Walker are Huggins recruits.... same way that Deron Williams and Dee Brown are Self recruits. 

You forget so soon that this is a player development discussion :dunno:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »

OK?  What matters is who coached them and showcased their talent during their final year before leaving for the NBA.  For Beasley and Walker it was Martin, for Williams it was oscar Weber.