Poll

Will the "cool" Pinstripe Bowl K-State be on the new field at BSFS?

Yes . . . it's cool.  Currie Prevails.
NO . . . OB Wins again.

Author Topic: BSFS Expansion Thread  (Read 4023667 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: BSFS Expansion Thread
« Reply #21275 on: September 01, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »
We probably need that lot for ag stuff.

35 mil from TV contract says Frick Ag stuff.

I mean, the renditions show that it clearly doesn't.

Offline Muldoon

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21276 on: September 01, 2021, 04:49:20 PM »
That practice field and facility is so ridiculously located.

The plan set I'm looking at has the outdoor practice field directly adjacent to the east side of the new building. New building is next to to east stadium entrance as shown in the rendo.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21277 on: September 01, 2021, 05:12:57 PM »

The plan set I'm looking at has the outdoor practice field directly adjacent to the east side of the new building. New building is next to to east stadium entrance as shown in the rendo.

The spending will dictate what gets done in the near future.  If we can't get media contracts at or about what we have now, there will be cutbacks at all 8 schools.  I think the extra outdoor practice field and indoor practice facility are a total waste of money.  East side improvements are preferred.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21278 on: September 01, 2021, 05:20:09 PM »

:lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21279 on: September 01, 2021, 06:16:42 PM »
Help me out here... If you already have the field itself (turf) attached to your football facilities AND an indoor practice field - why do you need another entire field taking up space again?  Some of my fondest memories are of stumbling into or out of the stadium where that is in the rendering.   :confused:

I don't understand that either. It made sense back when the playing field was grass. However, now that the turf doesn't wear out, and you will have two existing fields (one indoor and one outdoor) I don't see the need for a third but it's not a deal breaker for me. I just want the sky bridge across Kimball.

Agreed. I still don't understand why it's not located on the North side of Kimball in the existing ag lot.

Because that land isn't owned by K-State Athletics Inc.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21280 on: September 01, 2021, 06:24:00 PM »
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the placement of that practice facility. If you went to let's say, Penn State for the first time and they had their outdoor practice field and indoor practice facility right next to the stadium, your thought wouldn't be, "crap, they really should replace this with more parking." Unless you're a total weirdo you'd marvel at how cool it is that all of those things are so close and accessible.

I remember when this board mocked shirt tucks, I swear some of you in the last decade have absolutely morphed into grumpy old gopowercat tucks.

Did trim's gopowercat twitter account take over his account here?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21281 on: September 01, 2021, 06:39:17 PM »
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the placement of that practice facility. If you went to let's say, Penn State for the first time and they had their outdoor practice field and indoor practice facility right next to the stadium, your thought wouldn't be, "crap, they really should replace this with more parking." Unless you're a total weirdo you'd marvel at how cool it is that all of those things are so close and accessible.

I remember when this board mocked shirt tucks, I swear some of you in the last decade have absolutely morphed into grumpy old gopowercat tucks.

Did trim's gopowercat twitter account take over his account here?

Even just using the existing spaces for the things, the indoor facility should be generally where the practice field is in that pic and connected in some way to Vanier or whatever it's called now so that people can go from one to the other all indoors.

Then if an additional outdoor practice field is necessary, it could go directly east of the indoor facility, and in a way where players can get to all the way from Vanier indoors.  Or if we want to get crazy, build the indoor facility in a way where it could have an outdoor field on its roof (helps defeat spies!).

And then there's no standalone building blocking the path to the stadium and making for bottlenecks to get in and out.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21282 on: September 01, 2021, 06:51:16 PM »
The indoor facility is going there so they can save money on redoing the east side. The NE & SE entrances will be unaffected and Gene has said there will be entrances in the building on gameday and the facility will be used for hospitality. My guess is that the building entrances will be exclusively for premium seating holders. Upper deck ticket holders :dunno:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21283 on: September 01, 2021, 07:01:03 PM »
The indoor facility is going there so they can save money on redoing the east side.

Like to cover up how shitty it looks from the perspective of someone walking toward it now, and not caring that it'll still look shitty to the people who get past the practice facility?

One of my earlier thoughts was to build the facility right into the shitty back of the stands and do something like what you're talking about for non-football team'rs to access the stadium through it, or to demolish the entire upper deck and build the facility in a way where the east side of it is for football practice and the west side of it is for football watching.

But I'd still say to do the facility and separate practice field in the obvious most functional spots for football team things, and to separately make the east side not look shitty. 

The best move on that last part is to travel back in time and build one cohesive football stadium at once.  Short of that, demo the existing east side and replace it with a mirror image of the west side.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21284 on: September 01, 2021, 08:37:07 PM »
The indoor facility is going there so they can save money on redoing the east side.

Like to cover up how shitty it looks from the perspective of someone walking toward it now, and not caring that it'll still look shitty to the people who get past the practice facility?

One of my earlier thoughts was to build the facility right into the shitty back of the stands and do something like what you're talking about for non-football team'rs to access the stadium through it, or to demolish the entire upper deck and build the facility in a way where the east side of it is for football practice and the west side of it is for football watching.

But I'd still say to do the facility and separate practice field in the obvious most functional spots for football team things, and to separately make the east side not look shitty. 

The best move on that last part is to travel back in time and build one cohesive football stadium at once.  Short of that, demo the existing east side and replace it with a mirror image of the west side.

That'd all be best case scenario if we had another $200 million. It's much cheaper to criticize than to donate so we have to put a building in front of our upper deck that was great when it was determined we needed to quickly expand after the 1998 season.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21285 on: September 01, 2021, 08:47:10 PM »
They should put the facility and practice field in the obvious functional spots and let people walking up to the stadium from the east, who are probably already sold on going to the game, observe that that part looks kind of shitty. Then wait until a really great solution is necessary and feasible.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21286 on: September 01, 2021, 09:01:39 PM »
You think the obvious place is in the NE corner, next to Vanier? If that's where it would go, it would either extend almost completely across Kimball Ave or if it went further south it would have to sit in the middle of the parking lot or they would have to tear down the NE upper deck and concourse to about the 30 yard line. The current building spans 450 feet and it stands to reason that the new one will be slightly bigger.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21287 on: September 01, 2021, 09:09:09 PM »
Also I just measured this on Google Earth and an outdoor football field would barely fit in that space. A full field with end zones is 360 feet. There is 428 feet from the corner of section 28 to the sidewalk on Kimball. The concourse is extra wide on that corner and they're certainly going to lose some of it to the practice field.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21288 on: September 01, 2021, 09:12:44 PM »

You think the obvious place is in the NE corner, next to Vanier? If that's where it would go, it would either extend almost completely across Kimball Ave or if it went further south it would have to sit in the middle of the parking lot or they would have to tear down the NE upper deck and concourse to about the 30 yard line. The current building spans 450 feet and it stands to reason that the new one will be slightly bigger.

The picture makes it look to me like the building is roughly the same size as the field, so I’m suggesting putting the building where they propose having the field. If they’re not the same size, they could rotate the building 90 degrees and accomplish the same thing.

The detached garage approach to the building, coupled with it being a walk-block on the walking path to the stadium, is my core annoyance. Everything else can be worked out after fixing that.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21289 on: September 01, 2021, 09:14:05 PM »
Also I just measured this on Google Earth and an outdoor football field would barely fit in that space. A full field with end zones is 360 feet. There is 428 feet from the corner of section 28 to the sidewalk on Kimball. The concourse is extra wide on that corner and they're certainly going to lose some of it to the practice field.

Good, back to the drawing board in doom’s cat cave for all this.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21290 on: September 01, 2021, 09:34:18 PM »
Can we put the outdoor practice field on the roof of the indoor practice field?

#buildup

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21291 on: September 01, 2021, 09:35:23 PM »

The picture makes it look to me like the building is roughly the same size as the field, so I’m suggesting putting the building where they propose having the field. If they’re not the same size, they could rotate the building 90 degrees and accomplish the same thing.

The detached garage approach to the building, coupled with it being a walk-block on the walking path to the stadium, is my core annoyance. Everything else can be worked out after fixing that.

If they put the indoor facility where the outdoor field is but turned the facility 90° where would the outdoor field go?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21292 on: September 01, 2021, 09:44:32 PM »
Further east, or on the building roof, or maybe in the corresponding spot on the west side, or ditch it entirely.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21293 on: September 01, 2021, 09:46:18 PM »
Can we put the outdoor practice field on the roof of the indoor practice field?

#buildup

Yes!

Even just using the existing spaces for the things, the indoor facility should be generally where the practice field is in that pic and connected in some way to Vanier or whatever it's called now so that people can go from one to the other all indoors.

Then if an additional outdoor practice field is necessary, it could go directly east of the indoor facility, and in a way where players can get to all the way from Vanier indoors.  Or if we want to get crazy, build the indoor facility in a way where it could have an outdoor field on its roof (helps defeat spies!).

And then there's no standalone building blocking the path to the stadium and making for bottlenecks to get in and out.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21294 on: September 01, 2021, 10:00:00 PM »
This is the outside of the box thinking I could really get behind. Make them climb up on ropes to help out with upper body conditioning.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21295 on: September 01, 2021, 10:21:51 PM »
Do you realize the existing outdoor practice field is only a few 100 yards east of the stadium.  Like I been saying, it's a rough ridin' waste of money we're not going to have.  Also, just because old man Snyder didn't want to walk that far is no reason younger coaches and stone pounding kids can't get to it with no issues.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #21296 on: September 01, 2021, 10:55:32 PM »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #21297 on: September 02, 2021, 02:04:34 AM »
A lot of really bad takes in the last couple of pages. Oof.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21298 on: September 02, 2021, 02:12:12 AM »
Do you realize the existing outdoor practice field is only a few 100 yards east south of the stadium.

There's no way this is the case, sounds made up. Don't they practice in the old football stadium?

Online PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21299 on: September 02, 2021, 08:36:29 AM »
Help me out here... If you already have the field itself (turf) attached to your football facilities AND an indoor practice field - why do you need another entire field taking up space again?  Some of my fondest memories are of stumbling into or out of the stadium where that is in the rendering.   :confused:

I don't understand that either. It made sense back when the playing field was grass. However, now that the turf doesn't wear out, and you will have two existing fields (one indoor and one outdoor) I don't see the need for a third but it's not a deal breaker for me. I just want the sky bridge across Kimball.

Agreed. I still don't understand why it's not located on the North side of Kimball in the existing ag lot.

Because that land isn't owned by K-State Athletics Inc.

This has never stopped K-State or other universities from moving land around from college to college before. It's simply a matter of priorities.

Honestly, I'd be okay with the new practice facility, and even new outdoor field in the locations as shown, but something needs to be done about the east side. Since everything else has improved, the east side upper deck clearly stands out now as an earlier addition. I don't think it needs to be demo'ed as others have stated, but we definitely need some kind of exterior upgrade, and some actual concession stands up there.