Author Topic: MHS caught on camera!  (Read 18095 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: MHS caught on camera!
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »
Not to mention that he announced her (failing) grade to the class, which you absolutely cannot do.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »
Just watched it again.  Not only do I think this teacher won't be disciplined, I think he might become a cult hero among teachers for this.  He's railing on a class for failing and for insubordination and in response, they're all laughing at him.  He also complains about the class being overcrowded.

Politicians want to judge teachers on how well their students achieve.  This video does a fantastic job of showing the challenges that teachers have in meeting that goal.

FYI, I am not a teacher.

He spit on a 16 year old student, and when she complained, he kicked her out of the classroom. 

I assumed he was responding to her complaint that he was spitting on her when he was yelling at her before the video started.  That was vague.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
sounds like this dude touched some posters inappropriately once or twice back in the day.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
Not to mention that he announced her (failing) grade to the class, which you absolutely cannot do.

Like I said, I'm not a teacher.  Sounded to me like she deserved a smack in the face which he obviously didn't give her.  That's why I'm not a teacher.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »
Just watched it again.  Not only do I think this teacher won't be disciplined, I think he might become a cult hero among teachers for this.  He's railing on a class for failing and for insubordination and in response, they're all laughing at him.  He also complains about the class being overcrowded.

Politicians want to judge teachers on how well their students achieve.  This video does a fantastic job of showing the challenges that teachers have in meeting that goal.

FYI, I am not a teacher.

He spit on a 16 year old student, and when she complained, he kicked her out of the classroom.  

I assumed he was responding to her complaint that he was spitting on her when he was yelling at her before the video started.  That was vague.
"I'm spitting on you because I'm pissed," is all anyone needs to hear.  That is a 15/16 year old girl and he is a teacher.  Indefensible.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »
I enjoyed Earth Science class in 9th grade and 13 years later I can still name all 5 circumpolar constellations, muthafuckas!   :fistpump:

Mr. Stramel taught a lot and obviously cares about science, but the dude has ALLLLWAYS been a loose cannon like this.  I mean, in 1997 a classmate made a website on g-d ANGELFIRE quoting all of his classroom blowups; he's lucky his career is reaching its twilight stages just as video phones are popping up.  Had he gone into teaching 25 years later I think he probz wouldn't have lasted very long.  Again, this is ugly for both sides.  But the ugliest part is definitely that girl's hair in front of the camera.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:20:28 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
 Sounded to me like she deserved a smack in the face which he obviously didn't give her.  That's why I'm not a teacher.

That is one mumped up philosophy. I mean seriously, you are mumped up.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
Sounded to me like she deserved a smack in the face which he obviously didn't give her.  That's why I'm not a teacher.

That is one mumped up philosophy. I mean seriously, you are mumped up.

I may have gotten a little carried away.  :embarrassed:

And I'm not saying I would have smacked her, but that whole situation would have ruined my day and my week and would make me want to quit teaching.

He should have taken her out into the hall.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:21:40 PM by Ira Hayes »

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 05:21:53 PM »

FYI, I am not a teacher.

He spit on her because he was screaming.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »

FYI, I am not a teacher.

not really helping his case.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »
Just found out Stramel was 3 months away from retirement.  Does this change your course of action if you're an administrator? 

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
Guy is an a-hole, but the degradation of discipline/respect/society as a whole is bound to drive high school teachers to these kinds of behaviors. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »

FYI, I am not a teacher.

This.

But the video was a good illustration why corporal punishment should still be allowed. Just because it's a little archaic doesn't mean it's not effective. Obviously the kids in that video have no respect for authority. I was always terrified of getting in trouble at school because I knew there would be consequences at home. A number of kids in that class (seems like a room full of troublemakers/flunkies) probably don't have anybody at home that gives a crap about their education or behavior. And trips to the principal's office don't bother these kids in the least. So while rusty would paint me as a monster for suggesting that kids get swatted, I think it would be effective. Long story short the guy should not have gone off like that but those kids are clearly a mess. After 30 years of putting up with that kind of crap, I would be ready to pop a beer and deploy the slide as well.

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 06:57:05 PM »
This.

But the video was a good illustration why corporal punishment should still be allowed. Just because it's a little archaic doesn't mean it's not effective. Obviously the kids in that video have no respect for authority. I was always terrified of getting in trouble at school because I knew there would be consequences at home. A number of kids in that class (seems like a room full of troublemakers/flunkies) probably don't have anybody at home that gives a crap about their education or behavior. And trips to the principal's office don't bother these kids in the least. So while rusty would paint me as a monster for suggesting that kids get swatted, I think it would be effective. Long story short the guy should not have gone off like that but those kids are clearly a mess. After 30 years of putting up with that kind of crap, I would be ready to pop a beer and deploy the slide as well.

I think they just have a shitty jackass of a teacher. :dunno:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
Man.  From all the comments I've read on this and various other sites, I'd say it's pretty evenly divided at 50/50. 

BY THE WAY!  Do any of you former Stramelites remember Jack Horkheimer videos??  THE STARGAZER!   :party:

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
I think they have a shitty teacher too, totally agree. Benny what does this guy teach anyways? It seems like that particular class was only for the kids that suck at school and probably smoke cigarettes.

btw I'm not trying to come off as high and mighty. I gave my respect to teachers that I thought deserved it and was also a little bastard to others. I would not want to be a teacher. Kids are mean and crazed wolf jackals that relish getting under people's skin. I would :chainsaw: if I taught HS/MS kids. Once they get to the point where they are old enough to make real smartass remarks it's all over.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 07:56:08 PM »

FYI, I am not a teacher.

This.

But the video was a good illustration why corporal punishment should still be allowed.
But it's not allowed and for good reason.  The guy should get canned.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 08:00:36 PM »
I'd be shocked if he got canned seeing as he's 3 month's from retirement.

And I'd be lying if I said that I haven't seen conduct much more inappropriate than this in high school.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 08:03:52 PM »
I'd be shocked if he got canned seeing as he's 3 month's from retirement.

And I'd be lying if I said that I haven't seen conduct much more inappropriate than this in high school.
Even if that were true, you went to a private high school.  Different set of rules.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2011, 08:14:12 PM »
Pretty sure threatening to give someone an enema is a no-no in any school. Granted, I didn't give a crap because the teacher was awesome, I'm just sayin.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »
I've got nothing more to add, but please keep us updated on what happens to the kid that filmed this and put it on youtube.  I'm far more worried about his future.

And I'd bet there's a 99.9% chance that he is either reading this thread or has already responded in it.

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 08:16:05 PM »

FYI, I am not a teacher.

This.

But the video was a good illustration why corporal punishment should still be allowed.

Like what? Bleeding hearts and feelers getting hurt don't count.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »
I've got nothing more to add, but please keep us updated on what happens to the kid that filmed this and put it on youtube.  I'm far more worried about his future.

And I'd bet there's a 99.9% chance that he is either reading this thread or has already responded in it.

:horrorsurprise:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »
Just watched it again.  Not only do I think this teacher won't be disciplined, I think he might become a cult hero among teachers for this.  He's railing on a class for failing and for insubordination and in response, they're all laughing at him.  He also complains about the class being overcrowded.

Politicians want to judge teachers on how well their students achieve.  This video does a fantastic job of showing the challenges that teachers have in meeting that goal.

FYI, I am not a teacher.

This.

Like what? Bleeding hearts and feelers getting hurt don't count.

For practical reasons, it is so difficult to draw a line - it is much simpler just to not allow an adult teacher to physically strike a child. I don't know what you're saying would have been appropriate here..A spanking? Maybe a smack in the mouth like Ira suggested? Closed fists? Why would one OK and not the others?

For moral reasons, perhaps because we should protect the rights of our youth? If you think that makes me a bleeding heart, you are a complete jackass, and I really don't give a crap.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »
isn't assault always assault just as rape is always rape?  i don't know.  i'm not a teacher or a legal expert.