Author Topic: Coaching Search Master Thread (now featuring worst possible choice oscar weber)  (Read 572987 times)

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Search Master Thread (now featuring front runner doug gottleib)
« Reply #2400 on: March 30, 2012, 08:16:20 AM »
The coaching carousel tends to offer up some interesting names every year and included in that this season is Kansas State, who needs to find a replacement for the departed Frank Martin.

In an interesting development ESPN analyst Doug Gottlieb’s name has come up, and he could be intrigued by the job opening in Manhattan.

In a phone interview with Cole Manbeck of the Manhattan Mercury, Gottlieb did admit that this would be an uncommon road traveled seeing as he’s never coached at the collegiate level.

But that doesn’t mean that the man who was the national assist champion at Oklahoma State as a junior and runner-up as a senior doesn’t believe that he’s incapable of getting the job done.

“I’m pretty self aware and I understand that the idea is not necessarily out of left field, but it would not technically be the norm for an athletic director,” Gottlieb told The Mercury in a phone interview on Thursday. “But I do believe if given the chance I would do it pretty well.”
There have been ESPN analysts who have gone from the studio to the sidelines, but it’s important to point out that the likes of Mark Gottfried (NC State), Steve Lavin (St. John’s) and Rick Majerus (Saint Louis) all had coaching experience prior to joining the network.

Gottlieb hasn’t spoken with Kansas State athletic director John Currie about the job, but according to the story there have been people associated with the school who have been in contact with the 1998-99 Big 12 Newcomer of the Year.

“I have not spoken to (K-State athletic director) John Currie, but I have spoken to some people at Kansas State ,” said Gottlieb, who has been with ESPN since 2003. “I had a conversation with a couple people about the job. I told them about how good of a job I thought it was. I think Kansas State is in an elite place right now.

“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’”
Whether or not Currie (or another school with an opening, for that matter) is willing to make what would be an unprecedented hire remains to be seen.

But to hire a person who’s seen in living rooms across the country could pay off when it comes to making a first impression with prospective recruits. And it isn’t as if Gottlieb hasn’t been around the game either. A job as an assistant may be more realistic, but why not?

WHY NOT?

Offline DeoKat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: March 30, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »
Yeah, Gottlieb's Dad... www.branchwest.com/

Bob Gottlieb

Creighton University
(Asst. Coach under Eddie Sutton 1969-1971)

Kansas State University
(Asst. Coach under Jack Hartman 1971-1973)

Long Beach State University
(Asst. Coach under Tex Winter 1981-1983)

Oregon State University
(Asst. Coach under Ralph Milller 1983-84)

if just a smidgen of this rubbed off on Doug, he'd be a homerun
When you succeed at Illinois you go to Kansas and when you fail at Illinois, you go to Kansas State

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: March 30, 2012, 08:20:24 AM »
Manbeck said Gott said he would even consider being Underwood's assistant. With that caveat, I may go unburn the #teamunderwood thread

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: March 30, 2012, 08:21:18 AM »
Sure Doug hasn't been X/Oing, but he's been going around the country watching all kinds of basketball for seveal years. Plus its clear he does his homework, watches tons of film, talks to tons of coaches. He knows the game, he could get good people to work with him, and he could get into tons of living rooms.

People are making this a left field hire, but its much less out of left field than most realize. Gottlieb would be great, innovative, and fun for K-State basketball.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: March 30, 2012, 08:21:24 AM »
undy HC, gotty Asst Coach, my god, this appeases everyone

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: March 30, 2012, 08:24:11 AM »
The Hurricane hasn't approved my follow request. I AM NOW 100% #GOTTLIEB4KSU

EDIT: NM he did! Thanks hurricane! Still going all out for #GOTTLIEB4KSU
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:26:39 AM by puniraptor »

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: March 30, 2012, 08:26:57 AM »
People are making this a left field hire, but its much less out of left field than most realize. Gottlieb would be great, innovative, and fun for K-State basketball.

BUT IF WE HIRE SOMEONE INNOVATIVE AND FUN SOME PEOPLE MIGHT THINK ITS A DUMB HIRE AND BE MEAN!!  :ohno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: March 30, 2012, 08:27:13 AM »
If we offered undy and doug each $750k they would both sign on imo.  one would have to be called HC but the equal pay would tell it's own story.  then we retain lamont, bigmanwhisperer, greeny and we are winning pretty much every game like pew, pew, pew, pew

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: March 30, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »

BUT IF WE HIRE SOMEONE INNOVATIVE AND FUN SOME PEOPLE MIGHT THINK ITS A DUMB HIRE AND BE MEAN!!  :ohno:

THE PHOG WOULD MAKE FUN!  :runaway:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: March 30, 2012, 08:30:13 AM »
Honest Q: Would you love to go head to head vs Self with Gottlieb's collection of players, and Undy doing the Xing and Oing?
I think that is an obvious "Yes."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: March 30, 2012, 08:31:16 AM »
Honest Q: Would you love to go head to head vs Self with Gottlieb's collection of players, and Undy doing the Xing and Oing?
I think that is an obvious "Yes."

you can put anybody/team after the "vs" and the answer is yes

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: March 30, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »
I bet refs hang around after games to get Doug's autograph

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: March 30, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
Yeah, Gottlieb's Dad... www.branchwest.com/

Bob Gottlieb

Creighton University
(Asst. Coach under Eddie Sutton 1969-1971)

Kansas State University
(Asst. Coach under Jack Hartman 1971-1973)

Long Beach State University
(Asst. Coach under Tex Winter 1981-1983)

Oregon State University
(Asst. Coach under Ralph Milller 1983-84)

if just a smidgen of this rubbed off on Doug, he'd be a homerun

#GottWood
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: March 30, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »
Pew, Pew, Pew!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:44:57 AM by doom »
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: March 30, 2012, 08:35:19 AM »
also of note- i believe that gottlieb is a basketball savant.

agreed.  but can he teach what he knows always going 100mph

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: March 30, 2012, 08:37:44 AM »
Guys, Doug hasn't tweeted in 14 hours. He NEVER goes that long without tweeting. Maybe h He's busy negotiating his contract!  :drool:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: March 30, 2012, 08:38:23 AM »
also, mods can we spell his motherfucking name right in the thread title please

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: March 30, 2012, 08:40:03 AM »
goEMAW(and formerly ksufans) always gets like this with coaching hires.  get on the bandwagon or get out of the way.  happened with venzy when snyder retired, huggins when he was hired, patterson when prince was fired, and to a lesser extent with frank just to keep grcoat.  (totally worth it btw.)  this time it started with pearl before we were basically told from both sides it wasn't going to happen at this time.  i've been on basically all those bandwagons too, because they are (or were at the time) pretty good candidates.

not this time friends.  i can't jump on board a bandwagon for a guy with no coaching experience at all.  risk is just too high. 

i will now go join ira's lunchtable in the corner.

I keep seeing this word "risk," but what's the real risk? That K-State loses 20 games 2 years from now and starts looking for a new coach? Well, shoot. If Stevo wants the job as badly as he seems to, I bet he'll come here in 2 years.

If Gottlieb gets the guys like Matt Dougherty that he mentioned as assistants, he's going to get good players. He obviously knows x's and o's, and with guys with head coaching experience on the bench, he's going to have that experience available to him. He's got connections out the wazoo, and that's one of the most important things you can have as a cbb coach today, in terms of getting good assistants and good recruits.

All of those hires you listed either worked out well or likely would have. The illumEMAWti are pretty intelligent folks.  Several of those hires were called "risky," but the risk involved is almost always PR risk, rather than results risk. And PR risk is generally overblown.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: March 30, 2012, 08:40:09 AM »
I'm still riding the bandwagon of:

Bring in the Hurricane as HC.

Bring in dougie fresh as an assistant.

Could probably get BOTH of them for under 2.5 mil, maybe even under 2 mil.  If they preform up their contracts and bask in the glory of wildcat basketball.

Let
the
good
times
roll.
:dance:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: March 30, 2012, 08:40:13 AM »
I'm still #rocKSUlikeahurricane

Offline WildCatzPhreak

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: March 30, 2012, 08:42:42 AM »
Sure Doug hasn't been X/Oing, but he's been going around the country watching all kinds of basketball for seveal years. Plus its clear he does his homework, watches tons of film, talks to tons of coaches. He knows the game, he could get good people to work with him, and he could get into tons of living rooms.

damnit fan, don't do this to me.  you are probably the only person on this site that could convince me to change my mind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Search Master Thread (now featuring front runner doug gottlieb)
« Reply #2421 on: March 30, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »
My order of want (assuming Pearl isn't an option yet):

Gottlieb
Unders with AC Gottlieb
Hurricane
Burn this entire place to the ground and everyone in it

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: March 30, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »

damnit fan, don't do this to me.  you are probably the only person on this site that could convince me to change my mind.

I have NO DOUBT that Gottlieb would attract and surround himself with fantastic and experienced assistants. No doubt. I mean the guy has spent the last several years talking to college basketball coaches from all around the country 2-3 times a week. The connections he has in the college basketball world are significant.

The other thing is its clear he'd even consider being an assistant here under the right guy. He seems to know Underwood fairly well from talking to him before games, etc. So that's an option too.

But Doug as HC is a splash, big time splash and I think there is some benefit to that.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: March 30, 2012, 08:47:36 AM »
My order of want (assuming Pearl isn't an option yet):

Gottlieb
Unders with AC Gottlieb
Hurricane
Burn this entire place to the ground and everyone in it

:dubious: at pearl being > than gott.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: March 30, 2012, 08:48:46 AM »
One downside to AC Gottlieb is that I will always want our HC to shut up a minute so that I can hear Doug talk