Author Topic: Why does Will Spradling even start?  (Read 9033 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Why does Will Spradling even start?
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2014, 03:56:27 PM »
Will doesn't have the highest 3pt% anymore, michigancat.

that's why I said 2nd highest

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
He doesn't have the 2nd highest either, which is what I meant to say originally.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2014, 03:58:44 PM »
He doesn't have the 2nd highest either, which is what I meant to say originally.

I meant to type that I don't believe Westicles's percentage will hold up over time.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »
Regardless, anyone who would take minutes away from Will is a worse shooter.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2014, 04:02:42 PM »
Will had 10 points, 5 assists, and 1 turnover against OU. I think that justifies 24 minutes. (At least).

Yeah, he played fine. He usually plays fine. His whole career is playing fine.

I enjoy the funny nature of gE where we can trash Will all we want, but criticize Scott Drew's coaching ability and you have crossed the line.

Both the Will haters and Drew haters are a bit over the top.

The thing is that Will deserves as much scrutiny as any other player in this program.  And, in the world of an internet sports forum, the scrutiny will often be harsher than otherwise. 

But, personally, I think Will is entitled to most of the criticism he gets.  He's a "game manager" who gets playmaker minutes.  _Fan does note his decreased minutes with Jevon and Nigel, but he's still averaging the 3rd most minutes at 28.4.  He also averaged the 3rd (27.8) and 2nd (31.2) most minutes in the past two seasons, respectively.  With those types of minutes, fans expect more than just a good TO/A ratio.  I can't explain why he's a career 36% FG.  This year, he's been absolutely dreadful at putting the ball through the hoop. 

Guys like Will have a few jobs.  Don't turn it over.  Shoot the ball well.  Pretty simple formula.  He's good at the former, bad at the latter.  It is what it is. 

But, I disagree that Will haters are "over the top."  I think the haters are spot on.     

Spradling's a better player than Nigel, at everything. Nigel creates assists at a slightly higher rate, but he's so much worse at turning over the ball it isn't worth it. And like it or not, Will has the second highest three point percentage on the team. Would I like it if he shot better (and more)? Yes, but I don't think his percentage in any way justifies his losing minutes to an undersized Nigel Johnson.

Since Jevon's been available, Spradling's averaged 26.5 minutes/game while Jevon's averaged 23.5. I'd like those numbers to be flipped, but IMO it's completely reasonable given the circumstances.
Jevon just had two bad games in a row, to the level of expectations he has set for himself. Imagine he will turn it around and gain more minutes. I also see will and Westicles fighting for more minutes in the near future when Will get shifted to the wing position. The best thing that can happen is this moves Omari out of the rotation.     

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »
I was okay with will last year because he hit a stretch during the season where he was consistently shooting above 40%.  Good Will!

This year he's shooting just over 30% -- it's on track to be his worst year ever.  And now he's old.  Time to make glue out of this broken down horse, imo.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]