Author Topic: Rare Photos of North Korea  (Read 96016 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Photos of North Korea
« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2013, 01:16:18 PM »
The SST reference was top notch.

Also thanks to the Republican rep from CO for spiling the beans they might have miniaturized a weapon small enough to fit on an ICBM.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 15, 2013, 12:22:59 AM »
you guys what if NK did it?  wow that would be so nuts.

I would feel terrible for SK. They would bear the brunt of it  :frown:

I'll be ok. I promise.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »
US chopper crashed near NK.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/04/16/no-injuries-reported-after-us-military-helicopter-reportedly-crashes-near-north/

Time for a story.  Just a few days after I was born my dad was in a Chinook that went down along the NK border (entire crew survived).  I guess (back then) they'd fly up and down the border noting the field artillery positions of the NK's.  He said they'd get shot at all the time, but the NK's would be sure the bullets were passing either behind or ahead of the chopper, like not trying to shoot them down. 

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2013, 11:01:32 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/04/16/no-injuries-reported-after-us-military-helicopter-reportedly-crashes-near-north/

Time for a story.  Just a few days after I was born my dad was in a Chinook that went down along the NK border (entire crew survived).  I guess (back then) they'd fly up and down the border noting the field artillery positions of the NK's.  He said they'd get shot at all the time, but the NK's would be sure the bullets were passing either behind or ahead of the chopper, like not trying to shoot them down.

We so could use this as a Gulf of Tomkin type situation if we want to start things off, but were smart enough to let NK flinch first
RIP Fatty

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2013, 11:18:15 PM »

We so could use this as a Gulf of Tomkin type situation if we want to start things off, but were smart enough to let NK flinch first

While the DPRK cannot hold its own if faced with an assault, they can level South Korea and destroy Seoul and other cities. Considering SK is the 15th largest economy, and a place where tens of millions of people live, it is in nearly everyone's interest to avoid this.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 17, 2013, 04:13:45 AM »
North Korea cannot level Seoul.  They would be able to inflict damage but no where near what people fear.  Keep a couple things in mind.  These are static firing positions that have been plotted for decades.   They are using Soviet era technology that has had little maintenance .   The US has had over a decade to refine our countermeasures for incoming indirect fire.  See Iraq, Afghanistan,  and Israel's Iron Dome.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 17, 2013, 07:50:39 AM »
North Korea cannot level Seoul.  They would be able to inflict damage but no where near what people fear.  Keep a couple things in mind.  These are static firing positions that have been plotted for decades.   They are using Soviet era technology that has had little maintenance .   The US has had over a decade to refine our countermeasures for incoming indirect fire.  See Iraq, Afghanistan,  and Israel's Iron Dome.

We can stop shells in mid flight? They have have enough pieces in place to level Seoul within the first hour of firing. Our response would take longer than that to muster.
RIP Fatty

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 17, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
actually we can kinda stop them mid flight.
Patriot PAC3

C-RAMs

SM-3 missiles

Aegis equipped cruisers

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?162240-Bluffer-s-Guide-North-Korea-strikes!-%282009%29
(interesting info here.  Pretty well researched.  Also note that I would be willing to bet that google earth has provided better maps than what NK currently has, assuming they haven't been using Google's program to update their own works.)

The secret here is counter battery fire.  It is true they would get off a few rounds but the US has been putting a lot of R&D into these systems, especially because of the recent decade of war.  NK equipment is old and slow whereas the US is going to be using the newest technology.  So not only has a lot of research been done in the last 60 years to locate these targets, we've also been developing the technology to counter fire unknown positions.  NK has many pieces that can reach Seoul, but many of them seem to be in hardened positions.  I trust American and Korean technology, training, and superior tactics to effectively neutralize them quickly before Seoul has catastrophic damage to the entire city. Now there are wild cards, if NK decides to use a tunnel to plant a nuke, that is a complete game changer.  I'm assuming a simple symmetric engagement with conventional artillery, ground, and air force deployment.

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 17, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »
Bet Kim is pissed that someone blew up the Boston Marathon. Know one care about NK anymore.
RIP Fatty

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 18, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
Okay NK WTF  :lol:

JFC will you at least try.
RIP Fatty

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 18, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »
 :lol:

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 18, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »

Come back from fantasy land. There are nearly 100,000 KNOWN artillery positions pointed at Seoul. In less than 1 minute you would have over 1 million 152mm rounds in flight. Nothing is going to stop that, nothing.

They have been perfecting this for over 50 years.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 18, 2013, 07:50:41 PM »

Come back from fantasy land. There are nearly 100,000 KNOWN artillery positions pointed at Seoul. In less than 1 minute you would have over 1 million 152mm rounds in flight. Nothing is going to stop that, nothing.

They have been perfecting this for over 50 years.
Nice use of mouth breathing instead of posting facts. 

There hundreds ok known sites with only a few that can ACTUALLY reach Seoul. 
Keep in mind there are only 8,000 or so artillery systems on the border, with only a fraction of a percentage with significant range. I can't stress this enough, it's cold war cast off equipment.  That means no electronically assisted reloading, no computer assisted repositioning equipment.  They are old and slow guns. 

Second point, that 'over 1 million 152mm rounds in flight' is just a bizarre interjection.  I mean I'm sure you were being facetious, but its still a really stupid thing to say.  Here is the issue at hand.  The weapons that can reach Seoul are all in hardened positions.  If they move into a firing position allied forces can strike them easily.  These are known targets so they will be pre-assigned targets for artillery and air resources.  The rest of their artillery would have to be moved into position to strike other targets.  With allied advanced reconnaissance tracking them it would be a task, but very do-able task.  Most importantly is that the NKs might be able to release a handful of volleys.  With the significant advantage in technology in counter battery fire, those positions would be wiped out before they could inflict serious damage to major population centers. 
Lets look at the 2010 artillery incident.  The NK's had a 40% hit rate on Yeongpyeong island with PRE POSITIONED artillery pieces.  South Korea's counter battery fire was able to inflict significant damage in response to NK aggression. 

Yes it would suck to live in Seoul during the opening moments, significant, but not heavy casualties might occur, but the city will not be in flames from millions of rounds impacting. 

The wildcard people don't talk about enough is the training and maintenance of their military.  Yes its huge, but is not well funded or equipped.  Look at Iraq Part I and II.  There was a great fear of their traditional military.  There were points in the invasion where it became painfully obvious the Iraqis had no idea what they were doing because they had prepositioned all their artillery to places marked in the desert by 40 gallon oil drums.  American tanks literally drove around them and the Iraqis couldn't walk in their fire fast enough or efficiently enough to counter an advancing column. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 19, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »
You sure they weren't 55 gallon drums?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 19, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »
You sure they weren't 55 gallon drums?
could be, I'll review my extensive notation on "Iraqi oil drums and Iraqi Artillery: Strange bedfellows: A look into range finding in the Gulf Wars".

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 19, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
 :thumbs:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 21, 2013, 01:21:31 AM »
NK might have moved 2 missiles launchers to its east coast. 

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 21, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »
Did you see how the Boston cops found a dude laying in a boat in the backyard of a house? Pretty certain the US Military knows whether or not two effing missile launchers moved an inch in NK.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 21, 2013, 10:49:10 AM »
I would put money down that the US military knows more about NK's real time force disposition than Kim Un does. 

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 10, 2013, 11:01:08 PM »

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 12, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »
Kim Jong Un just executed his uncle for being a traitor :surprised:

The Big Train

« Reply #471 on: December 12, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »
Kim Jong Un just executed his uncle for being a traitor :surprised:

Let's be honest, this probably happened like 10 years ago but we are just learning about it now.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 02, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 02, 2014, 03:26:31 PM »

absolute stud. needs rodman up there, though. and highstepper cat.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12