Author Topic: Milk  (Read 13507 times)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Milk
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »
I've been doing the vitamin D, organic, with added omega 3s.  Like to poor it into a glass and the put the glass in the freezer for a few minutes.  :lick:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
Toupe Tactics Always Fail, thank you for taking this thread seriously, as it was intended.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »
Toupe Tactics Always Fail, thank you for taking this thread seriously, as it was intended.

:cheers: <----- but with an ice cold glass of moo juice

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2011, 03:26:44 PM »
anyone with crusty milk around the top of their container is rough ridin' gross.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 03:34:46 PM »
anyone with crusty milk around the top of their container is rough ridin' gross.

sorry man, we don't all have you milk drinking powers to be able to take down the whole gallon+/day.  :drink:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »
What I would guess:

The size of the opening.  A bottle has a narrow opening, which doesn't allow you to smell your drink as easily.  This is why you are more likely to drink spoiled milk from the bottle (you don't smell the spoilage until you taste it with your mouth).  When you pour milk into a glass you a get a wider area to smell from and you have disturbed the milk releasing more milk particles to smell into the air.  Since a large majority of what we sense as taste is smell this in principle could be a factor.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »
Dorm's choc milk was amazing.  I didn't breathe right my entire frosh year between the awesome choc milk and all cereal options they had for breakfast(always got up too late for hot).

Why would you limit it to breakfast with all those options? I had cereal for 3 meals a day for the first month I lived in the dorms. My cereal intake decreased slightly over the rest of my freshman year, but not by much.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »
What I would guess:

The size of the opening.  A bottle has a narrow opening, which doesn't allow you to smell your drink as easily.  This is why you are more likely to drink spoiled milk from the bottle (you don't smell the spoilage until you taste it with your mouth).  When you pour milk into a glass you a get a wider area to smell from and you have disturbed the milk releasing more milk particles to smell into the air.  Since a large majority of what we sense as taste is smell this in principle could be a factor.

Wow, great point.  It seems the pieces of this puzzle are all falling into place.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
For those in KC, check out the milk from Shatto dairy.  Comes in glass bottles.  Costs a little more, but you get a deposit back on return of the bottle.  They have some flavored milk.  Try the root beer.  It sounds gross at first, but is insanely good.  Think about the flavor at the end of a root beer float.  That's what you get, except lots of it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 08:37:04 PM »
my guess is the glass you pour it in is already half full of diet coke so what you are actually drinking is a milk/diet coke cocktail which tastes different than the milk out of the container

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2011, 08:51:58 PM »
milk is kinda grosses anyway.  makes me dangerously gassy.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »
Have a glass with bfast and a glass with dinner every day.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »
Europeans don't refrigerate milk.

water is wet, europeans are rough ridin' gross, cireksu has a massive drinking problem.  tell us something we don't know.

also, wtf

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »
Europeans don't refrigerate milk.

water is wet, europeans are rough ridin' gross, cireksu has a massive drinking problem.  tell us something we don't know.

also, wtf

I hope your keys aren't close

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »
Does anyone know why milk tastes so much different out of the carton than from a glass?  :dubious:

Why does milk taste better in a glass than a plastic carton?

It doesn’t. That’s what milk's spokespeople say, anyway. “The great taste of milk is the same regardless of the package it comes in,” they insist. Rather, they say, “the particular way that people choose to enjoy their milk can affect their perception of taste.” Sure, most people would agree that the milk is indeed delicious and refreshing, and pouring it into a glass could influence the sensation of its flavor. But is it possible that the subtle variation in taste that some notice among plastic cartons and glass bottles is more than just a psychological effect of their milk-consumption rituals?

Given that the formula is always the same, yes, according to Sara Risch, a food chemist and member of the Institute of Food Technologists. “While packaging and food companies work to prevent any interactions, they can occur,” she says. For example, the polymer that lines plastic cartons might absorb small amounts of soluble flavor from the milk. Conversely, acetaldehyde in plastic cartons might migrate into the milk. The FDA regulates this kind of potential chemical contact, but even minute, allowable amounts could alter flavor.

Your best bet for getting milk’s pure, unaltered taste is to drink it from a glass bottle, the most inert material it’s served in. Even that’s not a sure bet, though. Milk maintains strict uniformity in processes in all of its worldwide bottling facilities, but it concedes that exposure to light and how long the product sits on store shelves may affect the taste. So yeah, the packaging might mess with milk’s flavor, but we’ll still take it any day over soy milk.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
Also, I remember how weird it was the first time I saw zapped milk in Latin America. I mean, you could buy it and just like keep it in a closet or in your backpack or something for months until you opened it. Made me nervous about drinking it cuz it reminded me of the "7 years bubble gum" myth.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
Also, I remember how weird it was the first time I saw zapped milk in Latin America. I mean, you could buy it and just like keep it in a closet or in your backpack or something for months until you opened it. Made me nervous about drinking it cuz it reminded me of the "7 years bubble gum" myth.

like astronaut ice cream?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2011, 09:58:39 PM »

This sounds made up

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2011, 03:08:57 AM »

Nope. Just a carton of irradiated milk. Also, was there anything more disappointing about that forced grade school trek to Hutchinson than the astronaut ice cream. It's like they were looking for ways to make kids be more rational and not want to grow up to be astronauts.

This sounds made up

I know, right? It just seems ridiculous, but it's very common-place down there. Like dancing and narco-trafficking.

Offline KSUTOMMY

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2011, 07:51:39 AM »
I've been a rabid milk drinker my whole * life, we drink with every meal... 4-5 gal/wk. Milk NEVER goes bad at the KSUTOMMY house. Gonna suggest to Mrs KSUTOMMY that we try organic milk next grocery trip, just to check out the difference.

*elite milk pun
We are K-State and we love to hire SHlTTY coaches.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »

Nope. Just a carton of irradiated milk. Also, was there anything more disappointing about that forced grade school trek to Hutchinson than the astronaut ice cream. It's like they were looking for ways to make kids be more rational and not want to grow up to be astronauts.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that and thought "cool" when I was on a scout trip there.  Then I had some and was all "Flavored styrofoam. WTF?"

Now they've repackaged it and its camper's ice cream that you can get at places like Cabelas.  Still have no more urge to try.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »

I have a friend that works for a beverage distributor and they have chocolate milk that is stored in the warehouse NOT in refrigerators.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »

This sounds made up

I think America might be the only country in the world that still drinks milk that must be kept refrigerated. Other countries don't have to refrigerate milk because they use a different method of pasteurization.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2011, 10:24:52 AM »
For those in KC, check out the milk from Shatto dairy.  Comes in glass bottles.  Costs a little more, but you get a deposit back on return of the bottle.  They have some flavored milk.  Try the root beer.  It sounds gross at first, but is insanely good.  Think about the flavor at the end of a root beer float.  That's what you get, except lots of it.
that shatto root beer milk makes a great white russian

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2011, 10:30:02 AM »

orange cream is great if you can find it, banana sounds gross but isn't bad at all.  Root beer milk is splendid.