Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 543213 times)

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #2325 on: November 18, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
Cell phone guru's:

I'm in a dilemma here with all things cell phone and I'm not sure how to proceed. I've never been the most tech savvy, but it's time to upgrade my phone and plan.

For years, i've been a Verizon (previously Alltel) customer and have enjoyed my plan and coverage. I got on the 3G and 4G bandwagon at the beginning and locked in unlimited data for both very early on when it wasn't the norm. I've been happy with that for years now, but Verizon is making it harder to cope with having an old grandfathered plan so I think i'm just going to pony up and get with the times so I don't have to buy phones out of contract and for full price.

I'm planning on doing a new contract with Verizon (including the fiance) for share everything plan...two smartphones, 6GB data shared. I'm torn on which phone to get. I'm down to the iPhone 5S, Samsung S4 or the HTC One. I'd get the nexus 5 in a heartbeat but apparently Google and Verizon aren't playing nice with that device.

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Shoot them over to your good friend ShellShock. I've been moving back and forth over this decision for a while and I just need some fellow EMAW folks to point out pros/cons with this big decision.

Thanks guys. As always, GO CATS!

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: November 18, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »
Should also note that the last three phones i've had are all android phones so i'm familiar with that the most. Droid 1, Droid Bionic, Galaxy Nexus...take that FWIW when helping me decide which device to get.

The Big Train

« Reply #2327 on: November 18, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »
#TeamIPhone

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: November 18, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
I am and always will be team iphone, but I just got my nexus 5. eff contracts and eff paying billions of dollars for a phone. the nexus is a business model i wanted to support

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: November 18, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »
I am and always will be team iphone, but I just got my nexus 5. eff contracts and eff paying billions of dollars for a phone. the nexus is a business model i wanted to support

I wish I could get a nexus 5 but verizon for some reason is blocking it on their network.  :shakesfist:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: November 18, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »
Cell phone guru's:

I'm in a dilemma here with all things cell phone and I'm not sure how to proceed. I've never been the most tech savvy, but it's time to upgrade my phone and plan.

For years, i've been a Verizon (previously Alltel) customer and have enjoyed my plan and coverage. I got on the 3G and 4G bandwagon at the beginning and locked in unlimited data for both very early on when it wasn't the norm. I've been happy with that for years now, but Verizon is making it harder to cope with having an old grandfathered plan so I think i'm just going to pony up and get with the times so I don't have to buy phones out of contract and for full price.

I'm planning on doing a new contract with Verizon (including the fiance) for share everything plan...two smartphones, 6GB data shared. I'm torn on which phone to get. I'm down to the iPhone 5S, Samsung S4 or the HTC One. I'd get the nexus 5 in a heartbeat but apparently Google and Verizon aren't playing nice with that device.

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Shoot them over to your good friend ShellShock. I've been moving back and forth over this decision for a while and I just need some fellow EMAW folks to point out pros/cons with this big decision.

I was able keep my unlimited verizon data by going thru Costco. 

We have have 4 phones on a family plan - 2 with unlimited data and 2 on an old 150 mb plan.  As I understand it, the guy activates 2 new phones using the upgrade of the phone numbers w/o unlimited, then makes them returns and assigns them to the phone numbers with unlimited.  He then used the upgrades for the unlimited phones to get new phones for non unlimited phone #s. 

The above might work for you and your fiance.

Offline jdagg2003

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: November 18, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »

I wish I could get a nexus 5 but verizon for some reason is blocking it on their network.  :shakesfist:

Nexus 5 on Ting if you can get a sim for it, That's what I would be doing if I wasn't on contract.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: November 18, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »

Nexus 5 on Ting if you can get a sim for it, That's what I would be doing if I wasn't on contract.

thats why you get the nexus 5 and say get effed to verizon. thats the point.

ill be using straight talk until ting issues their own sims. i dont want to grovel to spring (another the man) for one.

Offline jdagg2003

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: November 18, 2013, 03:26:57 PM »

ill be using straight talk until ting issues their own sims. i dont want to grovel to spring (another the man) for one.
I'm on sprint, and really use to much data a month for ting to actually be cheaper. But if I was on verizon and losing unlimited data that's what I would do.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: November 18, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
ATT has the Iphone 5s 16gb for $99 right now.  Pretty solid deal

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: November 18, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »

I've always heard that Straight Talk was for poor people...like next to BoostMobile and CricketWireless in the ghetto poor.

Has that cleaned up quite a bit since I looked into it last? How's the reception and service? I'm open to most anything as long as I feel that I have the background behind why i'm switching.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: November 18, 2013, 03:36:45 PM »
Cell phone guru's:

We have have 4 phones on a family plan - 2 with unlimited data and 2 on an old 150 mb plan.  As I understand it, the guy activates 2 new phones using the upgrade of the phone numbers w/o unlimited, then makes them returns and assigns them to the phone numbers with unlimited.  He then used the upgrades for the unlimited phones to get new phones for non unlimited phone #s. 

So I have to have 4 phones on the plan now instead of 2? Or, do I get to drop the two non-unlimited lines after we get the new phones for the unlimited lines?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: November 18, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »
Cell phone guru's:

So I have to have 4 phones on the plan now instead of 2? Or, do I get to drop the two non-unlimited lines after we get the new phones for the unlimited lines?
I think you might get to keep unlimited on one phone if both phones are eligible to upgrade.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: November 18, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
I've always heard that Straight Talk was for poor people...like next to BoostMobile and CricketWireless in the ghetto poor.

Has that cleaned up quite a bit since I looked into it last? How's the reception and service? I'm open to most anything as long as I feel that I have the background behind why i'm switching.

It's cheaper and contract free, that probably makes it more attractive to poor people, sure. Reception and performance are identical to whatever major carrier's network they are using.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: November 19, 2013, 11:33:17 AM »
enjoy your iPhones, Ted Nugent freaks!  :lol: #androidtard

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/siri-ron-paul-apple_n_4296673.html

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: November 20, 2013, 12:58:30 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: November 20, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »
Lee Kun-hee, Chairman of Samsung Electronics, told the media that his company is not going to be intimidated by a group of “geeks with style”
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: November 20, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
not true btw  :frown:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: November 20, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »
Get a Nexus 5 on AIO. Screw Verizon and their bullshit.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: November 20, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »
t. mobile prepaid is the best if you don't need to talk much IMO

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: November 20, 2013, 07:26:15 PM »
Straight talk if you want LTE

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: November 20, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »

did not realize they had LTE

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: November 20, 2013, 08:35:41 PM »

did not realize they had LTE

Yup if you  get an att Sim.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: November 20, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
I think I'm going to settle on the Note 3. It really does all I want it to and it's large enough so I can actually see what i'm doing. From all reviews that i've read, the battery is incredible for the size of the thing.