Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546204 times)

Online Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #2250 on: September 18, 2013, 11:11:46 AM »
Ting is pretty great, especially for light users. We are usually around $35 a month for 2 smartphones.
:surprised: do you have to have a Sprint device or does any unlocked phone work? Their website makes it look like it has to be Sprint

yeah, sprint.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: September 18, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
Anyone tried the straight talk thing? My contract with Verizon is coming up and it looks like a good deal :dunno:

my wife went from Sprint to Virgin Mobile.   Saved $60/mo, she had to buy an iphone at cost ($399) but also got a $100 statement credit.  This if for 300 min, unlim text and data

Virgin is great unless you are away from a populated area. Also I don't think there's any way you could use one of their phones internationally.

wrong and wrong

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: September 18, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »
Anyone tried the straight talk thing? My contract with Verizon is coming up and it looks like a good deal :dunno:

my wife went from Sprint to Virgin Mobile.   Saved $60/mo, she had to buy an iphone at cost ($399) but also got a $100 statement credit.  This if for 300 min, unlim text and data

Virgin is great unless you are away from a populated area. Also I don't think there's any way you could use one of their phones internationally.

wrong and wrong

I know I'm right about service in rural areas.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: September 18, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »
I get Verizon 4G almost everywhere I go, its really rare for me not to get a 4G signal.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: September 18, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
hayseed :users:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: September 18, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: September 20, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »
well, not really surprising but the 5s beats the living crap out of all other phone hardware

http://gizmodo.com/iphone-a7-chip-benchmarks-forget-the-specs-it-blows-e-1350717023

(butthurt ensues in the comments)

Klutzy PuppetUMario AguilarXX161L
Of course it does. You're comparing it to phones that are now a few months old. And then in 6 months, the Samsung Galaxy S5 will make this look like a piece of crap. Why? Because we're comparing the S5 to a phone that's a few months old. Are you people too stupid to figure this out? It's like no one at rough ridin' Gizmodo has heard of Moore's Law

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: September 20, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »

wrong and wrong

VM uses the Sprint network, so if Sprint has service, so does VM.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: September 20, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »
And then the next high end phone to come out will eclipse it. Its all just a back and forth, whats the point?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: September 20, 2013, 02:25:50 PM »
And then the next high end phone to come out will eclipse it. Its all just a back and forth, whats the point?

:thumbs:

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: September 20, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »
I don't read gizmodo, but I think the real issue is they will certainly not post an article like that when the next high end phone is released.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: September 20, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »

wrong and wrong

Look at these two maps and let me know if you can pick up on any differences

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coverage

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: September 20, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
got 5s this morning. pretty elite. finger print scanner works pretty well and like its way faster than my old iphone 4.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: September 20, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »

wrong and wrong

Look at these two maps and let me know if you can pick up on any differences

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coverage

eh, my wife was lied to.    Good thing we don't often travel to Wyoming.   I'll still keep the $60/mo.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: September 20, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »
yeah, it's a great deal. My wife is still on it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: September 20, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »
I don't read gizmodo, but I think the real issue is they will certainly not post an article like that when the next high end phone is released.

good, good

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: September 20, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »

Actually i think they do. I remember seeing articles talking about how average the previous Gen was.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #2267 on: September 20, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »
well, not really surprising but the 5s beats the living crap out of all other phone hardware

http://gizmodo.com/iphone-a7-chip-benchmarks-forget-the-specs-it-blows-e-1350717023

Congrats on the awesome processor, Samsung

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: September 27, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »

I've done Virgin and T.Mobile prepaid, which are similar. I think Straight talk really throttles your data quickly. T. Mobile and Virgin do, also, but not as bad as Straight Talk.

There's no reason to go on a contract unless you can't afford to pay cash for the phone you want.
my contract with verizon is up soon and I've been looking into switching to t-mobile.  it actually it seems like there's no reason to not go with verizon unless you can't afford to pay the higher overall price of the contract.  seems like their coverage and speed is far and away bitb and they have all the best phones available.  what am I missing?
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: October 01, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »
What's the deal with the Sprint one up program?  Do I want to do this?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: October 01, 2013, 12:19:35 PM »

I've done Virgin and T.Mobile prepaid, which are similar. I think Straight talk really throttles your data quickly. T. Mobile and Virgin do, also, but not as bad as Straight Talk.

There's no reason to go on a contract unless you can't afford to pay cash for the phone you want.
my contract with verizon is up soon and I've been looking into switching to t-mobile.  it actually it seems like there's no reason to not go with verizon unless you can't afford to pay the higher overall price of the contract.  seems like their coverage and speed is far and away bitb and they have all the best phones available.  what am I missing?

Rams, I don't spend much time in Lawrence, but in the areas immediately east of you as well as the entire KC metro, Tmobile is a crap shoot.  For instance, very often I drop calls in Waldo or Brookside.  Also, pretty much anytime I go from tower to tower I drop my call. 

Also, dropped calls in general are much more frequent than when I was on Verizon.  Tmobile didn't start out this way for me 3-4yrs ago, but has gotten progressively worse since. 

I wouldn't recommend.  I would spend 10%-20% more to have more reliable coverage.  However, it's a work phone so I don't have that choice.

My wife has verizon and very often I have no service where she has full service in the greater KC area.  However, I can't think of one time in the last several yrs where the circumstances were reversed.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: October 01, 2013, 12:20:27 PM »

Their coverage and speed are not better where I spend 99% of my time. But I guess it's different where you are so my statement was incorrect.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: October 16, 2013, 07:45:29 PM »
Tomorrow.

:excited:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: October 16, 2013, 07:51:11 PM »
Tomorrow.

did you mean to post a picture of an iPhone or wtf did you buy?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: October 16, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »
Tomorrow.

did you mean to post a picture of an iPhone or wtf did you buy?

I like big phones and I cannot lie.

Had an iPhone once. It was fine.