Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546170 times)

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1900 on: November 06, 2012, 11:31:39 AM »
Hemmy's gonna get fore arm exercise through different methods when he gets the 920.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: November 06, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »
what's awesome about it?  i've never had a problem plugging a cable into my phone.

I've had a micro USB port get damaged so it wouldn't charge and I had to return it.

I use my phone as an alarm, so having it wireless means I don't have to plug the phone in the dark, and when I grab it to shut it off in the morning I won't risk pulling it too far from the plug and damaging the port.

I think it will get really cool when the wirelses charging/power stations are embedded in nightstands and desks and kitchen counters and things. Laptops and kitchen appliances will be able to be powered/charged wirelessly. Hotels will have them so you won't need to unpack your charger when you travel. There are obviously a lot of hurdles and standards to develop, but it will be pretty cool as the technology improves.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: November 06, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »
what's awesome about it?  i've never had a problem plugging a cable into my phone.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: November 06, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »

I've had a micro USB port get damaged so it wouldn't charge and I had to return it.

I use my phone as an alarm, so having it wireless means I don't have to plug the phone in the dark, and when I grab it to shut it off in the morning I won't risk pulling it too far from the plug and damaging the port.

I think it will get really cool when the wirelses charging/power stations are embedded in nightstands and desks and kitchen counters and things. Laptops and kitchen appliances will be able to be powered/charged wirelessly. Hotels will have them so you won't need to unpack your charger when you travel. There are obviously a lot of hurdles and standards to develop, but it will be pretty cool as the technology improves.

My USB port is pretty jacked right now.  It still charges but the cable falls out if you look at it wrong.  Not too worried as my upgrade just occurred so now I just need to decide what phone I'm going to get.  Hey, Rusty, how does insurance/warranty stuff work with prepaid plans?  Pretty similar to regular plans?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: November 06, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »
ya just came here to post the gizmodo one,
http://gizmodo.com/5957795/lumia-920-review-just-too-damn-heavy

It kills me to say this, because I wanted to own this instead of an iPhone 5, but no. No you shouldn't. It's too big and heavy. It's not fun to own. It's not enjoyable to use.

:sdeek:

Gizmodo :flush: My current phone + case is 7 grams heavier than the 920. No issues.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: November 06, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »

My USB port is pretty jacked right now.  It still charges but the cable falls out if you look at it wrong.  Not too worried as my upgrade just occurred so now I just need to decide what phone I'm going to get.  Hey, Rusty, how does insurance/warranty stuff work with prepaid plans?  Pretty similar to regular plans?

I don't know, it was under warranty and I didn't have a problem replacing it. I don't have insurance or anything.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: November 06, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »
hey fellas, i'd love to charge my phone right now but i don't have my nightstand with me. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1907 on: November 06, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »
hey fellas, i'd love to charge my phone right now but i don't have my nightstand with me.

You can still charge it with a wired connection.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: November 06, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »

You can still charge it with a wired connection.

hey guys, no need for the nightstand, i have a wire that i can charge my phone with.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: November 06, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »

When i bought my last TV i threw away the remote too. WHO NEEDS IT WHEN THE BUTTONS ARE ON THE TV?  right clams?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: November 06, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »
if that's the best pro-wireless charging analogy you could come up with, i'm going to go ahead and /thread the wireless charging debate, good job, "mo"

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: November 06, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
if that's the best pro-wireless charging analogy you could come up with, i'm going to go ahead and /thread the wireless charging debate, good job, "mo"

Why would someone be anti-wireless charging?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: November 06, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »

what's awesome about cell phones? i've never had a problem using my home phone.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: November 06, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »

i'm not anti-it.  it's a gimmick, that's all.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: November 06, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »

I don't think it's a gimmick at all - gimmick implies that no one would want or use it. Nokia may be using it to "get ahead" or whatever but I predict that eventually every new phone will have the ability to be charged wirelessly.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: November 06, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »

I don't think it's a gimmick at all - gimmick implies that no one would want or use it. Nokia may be using it to "get ahead" or whatever but I predict that eventually every new phone will have the ability to be charged wirelessly.

eventually, that's great, if you're a phone.  do you really think installing wireless charging equipment around your house will make your life significantly better than just plugging it in, so much so that you'd be willing to pay for the expense? 

i mean, take your end table example from earlier, do you have any idea how far off something like that is, just from a cost perspective?  let alone thinking a tightass like you is going to be retrofitting his house with the necessary equipment instead of just plugging the phone into whichever power outlet is 3 feet away.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: November 06, 2012, 05:54:16 PM »
eventually, that's great, if you're a phone.  do you really think installing wireless charging equipment around your house will make your life significantly better than just plugging it in, so much so that you'd be willing to pay for the expense? 

i mean, take your end table example from earlier, do you have any idea how far off something like that is, just from a cost perspective?  let alone thinking a tightass like you is going to be retrofitting his house with the necessary equipment instead of just plugging the phone into whichever power outlet is 3 feet away.

It won't start in homes - it will start with offices and institutions. They already include wired power options embedded in tables and desks so wireless charging won't be a major step for them. You'll probably also see it early in places like airports and hotels that I mentioned. Here's an example of a large office furniture company that is already selling wireless charging (and I have seen prototypes that aren't visible on the surface):

http://www.ki.com/products/415/2738/Accessories/Qi_Wireless_Power_Grommet/.aspx?ncat=2&sitecat=51

As for the house, I wouldn't replace any furniture for the technology, but I wouldn't mind having a couple charging pads for a phone - that cost would be minimal, especially since phones are starting to include them. Eventually I'd maybe have one on a bookshelf or something where I could charge a laptop when it's not in use. You can argue it won't make my life "significantly better", and you'd definitely be right. But there aren't many products out there today that would make my life "significantly better".

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: November 06, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
i guess i just don't get it.  i mean, the charging pad is going to be in the same place as your cord would/could be. the difference between setting something on a designated charging pad, versus just plugging in the connector seems minimal, at best. 

and you're right, places like starbucks are already going down this path, and we all know how i feel about hanging out at coffee shops.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: November 06, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »
i guess i just don't get it.  i mean, the charging pad is going to be in the same place as your cord would/could be. the difference between setting something on a designated charging pad, versus just plugging in the connector seems minimal, at best. 

and you're right, places like starbucks are already going down this path, and we all know how i feel about hanging out at coffee shops.

I think a stationary pad is less cluttery in addition to being quicker and less likely to damage your phone. But like I said, nothing any phone manufacturer adds is going to change your life.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1919 on: November 06, 2012, 07:35:58 PM »

I think a stationary pad is less cluttery in addition to being quicker and less likely to damage your phone. But like I said, nothing any phone manufacturer adds is going to change your life.
LTE radios, Quad-band radios, mini-hdmi connector standardization, high resolution touch screens, expanded internal memory, faster more efficient cpu's, better operating systems ....there are a lot of things that improve the experience much more than wireless charging.  because its a gimmick.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: November 06, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »
The charging pads are a definite gimmick. Once they improve the technology for just needing to have it near a power source, that will be something worthwhile.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 06, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »

LTE radios, Quad-band radios, mini-hdmi connector standardization, high resolution touch screens, expanded internal memory, faster more efficient cpu's, better operating systems ....there are a lot of things that improve the experience much more than wireless charging.  because its a gimmick.

none of those will change my life. at all.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1922 on: November 06, 2012, 08:02:55 PM »

i guess you didn't notice that I ignored your "life changing" straw man

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 06, 2012, 08:09:17 PM »
I'm confused, haven't charging mats been out for a while now?  Why's everyone getting so bent out of shape about them all of a sudden?  I think they're cool but I haven't bothered to go out and buy one or anything. I do like the idea of just laying a couple phones on the mat, sure beats plugging them in.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 06, 2012, 08:10:30 PM »

i guess you didn't notice that I ignored your "life changing" straw man

Ha ha, it was a strawman you brought to the discussion.

And there are plenty of consumers who would be impacted more by wireless charging than anything you listed. I can see why they are important to you and wireless charging isn't, but that isn't enough reason to consider it a gimmick.