Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546258 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1850 on: October 19, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
Okay so I'm pretty much done with this EVO LTE.  I'm having various issues with nearly all of my apps.  I'm having network connection issues, the 4G is nice when it works but at least once every day I won't get a network connection at all.  It has issues connecting to and staying connected to some wi-fi networks. 

However, the most annoying of all is that I can't find a browser that properly works, I've tried them all, literally every single one that is in the play store.  I can't get any embedded videos to play whether it is on a mobile or desktop site.  I love gawker sites like deadspin who use a lot of embedded videos and these sites are virtually useless.  goEMAW is incredibly slow on these browsers, I purchased tapatalk but I don't like using it. 

I had plenty of issues with my EVO 4G but none of these issues.  So my question for other EVO LTE users is are any of you having similar issues?  Can you see embedded videos?  How about GS3 users?  I'm about 10 minutes away from spiking this thing on the concrete Gronk style.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: October 19, 2012, 11:37:34 AM »
I'm about 10 minutes away from spiking this thing on the concrete Gronk style.

Let me do it Sunday.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1852 on: October 19, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
Okay so I'm pretty much done with this EVO LTE.  I'm having various issues with nearly all of my apps.  I'm having network connection issues, the 4G is nice when it works but at least once every day I won't get a network connection at all.  It has issues connecting to and staying connected to some wi-fi networks. 

However, the most annoying of all is that I can't find a browser that properly works, I've tried them all, literally every single one that is in the play store.  I can't get any embedded videos to play whether it is on a mobile or desktop site.  I love gawker sites like deadspin who use a lot of embedded videos and these sites are virtually useless.  goEMAW is incredibly slow on these browsers, I purchased tapatalk but I don't like using it. 

I had plenty of issues with my EVO 4G but none of these issues.  So my question for other EVO LTE users is are any of you having similar issues?  Can you see embedded videos?  How about GS3 users?  I'm about 10 minutes away from spiking this thing on the concrete Gronk style.
If you have the Adobe flash for mobile installed you should be able to see them. Chrome does not use the flash, so you'd need a different browser if that's the one you use.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: October 19, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »

crap, i was about to make the switch from EVO 4G to EVO LTE  :ohno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: October 19, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
the animal just got the iphone5

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: October 19, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »

If you have the Adobe flash for mobile installed you should be able to see them. Chrome does not use the flash, so you'd need a different browser if that's the one you use.

As I said I used every browser, literally every one.  I'm afraid it may be a jellybean issue as I didn't have these issues when I got the EVO LTE.  I'm hoping it isn't jellybean and just a hardware issue, this is why I am wondering if other EVO LTE or GSIII users on jellybean, or hell any tablet users are having similar issues.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: October 19, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »

I got mine a few weeks ago. None of these issues. No LTE here though. I use Chrome as a browser and love it. I would see if Sprint can get you a new one.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: October 19, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
MIR, if you are trying to watch embedded youtube videos, they should open in the youtube app no problem. If they are Flash, you are out of luck. Flash is on the way out, and doesn't support mobile devices anymore. If they are HTML5, I have no idea why they aren't working. HTML5 is catching on, but a ton of sites still use Flash embedded. Try switching to the mobile version of the site, that might help.

Your connection issues are weird, as well as your apps force closing. If it continues to be a problem bring it up with Sprint. It might be as simple as a factory reset.

EDIT: I might add, I have the HTC One X (ATT version of the EVO LTE) running Jelly Bean and I can play most embedded videos no problem, so that's not a Jelly Bean problem.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: October 19, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »
so I guess the Razer HD and Maxx HD are out now on Verizon....

Is the maxx just a bigger battery @ 3300 mAH whereas the HD is @ 2350?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »

Motorola phones are complete garbage.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1860 on: October 20, 2012, 02:24:56 AM »

As I said I used every browser, literally every one.  I'm afraid it may be a jellybean issue as I didn't have these issues when I got the EVO LTE.  I'm hoping it isn't jellybean and just a hardware issue, this is why I am wondering if other EVO LTE or GSIII users on jellybean, or hell any tablet users are having similar issues.
Did not know you had jellybean. Flash won't work on jellybean.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: October 20, 2012, 04:09:44 AM »

false.  i use flash on my nexus 7 with jellybean.  it's just a pain to get it to work.

what you have to do is find a place to download the .apk of flash (since it's not supported on the play store), and then use a browser that supports flash (xscope, firefox, i think dolphin does).

also, are you sure you have jellybean?  i didn't think it had come out on any phone except SGIII.

try poking around androidcentral.com  they have forums specificly for each phone and carrier.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: October 20, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »

I begrudgingly came to the Razr Maxx after 2 years with the Evo 4G.    Took some time to adjust to the different interface, but the battery life and stability have been very, very good.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: October 20, 2012, 09:44:52 AM »
my wife's iphone5 is so amazing. WANT

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: October 20, 2012, 09:47:50 AM »
my wife's iphone5 is so amazing. WANT

Another row of icons!!!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: October 20, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »
Absent having _FAN harass Verizon on a weekly basis on my behalf, my upgrade date is 5/23/13.  How quick would an iphone5 be obsolete if I got one then?  What should I plan on getting?  I've had the Motorola Droid X and have the Droid Bionic. 

Also, I've had broken an original Motorola Droid and have broken an HTC EVO 4G (I think, whichever one MIR is referring to as his old phone that he liked a lot before it got smashed).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: October 20, 2012, 09:53:30 AM »
Absent having _FAN harass Verizon on a weekly basis on my behalf, my upgrade date is 5/23/13.  How quick would an iphone5 be obsolete if I got one then?  What should I plan on getting?  I've had the Motorola Droid X and have the Droid Bionic. 

Also, I've had broken an original Motorola Droid and have broken an HTC EVO 4G (I think, whichever one MIR is referring to as his old phone that he liked a lot before it got smashed).

they are on a pretty set schedule of rolling out the improvements. in a little less than a year they will roll out the iphone5s which will basically just be the iphone5 with minor upgrades. then the iphone6 in a little less than 2 years. so, you should be good getting the 5 then.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: October 21, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »

from what I've seen you are well in the minority here

also if you have issues with moto phones they seem to come in spades
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: October 21, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »
Wife ordered iPhone 5, drat.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: October 21, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »

false.  i use flash on my nexus 7 with jellybean.  it's just a pain to get it to work.

what you have to do is find a place to download the .apk of flash (since it's not supported on the play store), and then use a browser that supports flash (xscope, firefox, i think dolphin does).

also, are you sure you have jellybean?  i didn't think it had come out on any phone except SGIII.

try poking around androidcentral.com  they have forums specificly for each phone and carrier.

Yeah you're right I don't have jellybean, still running ice cream sandwich.  My HTC Sense version is listed as 4.1 and it threw me off, not sure why they did that.

Anyway, I'm perfectly aware that flash no longer supports android, not sure why that got brought into the conversation as I didn't list it as an issue.  I'm having seeing videos on mobile sites and HTML5 sites as well.  That being said not only did I use the flask .apk, but I also downloaded the September update of that .apk.  This made it worse.  Before I did this I could see ads and videos that used flash and HTML5 but the videos wouldn't load.  Now all videos and banner ads have that stupid looking Lego piece thing.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: October 21, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »

I wouldn't buy a Motorola phone.  They are not elite.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: October 22, 2012, 01:28:13 AM »

I wouldn't buy a Motorola phone.  They are not elite.
How do you figure?
ICS OS > * alive OSs
Moto quality and support
Good camera, not great
Good screen @720p,
32GB internal
Gig O ram
Amazing batter
On Verizon = amazing LTEness

While the GS3 is an amazing phone right now, Samsung has a rough ridin' awful track record for supporting their phones, especially when they are getting ready for a generation update. 

I'm still thinking about iphone5, but I don't like the idea/possibility of a 5s on the horizon.  IMO it seems like Apple does a bit too much beta testing in the market in this fashion. 

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: October 22, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »
Pretty much every Motorola flagship phone from the last 2 years has been a disappointment. They generally don't use the best processors, the screens have been terrible, and until recently the skin they put on Android was atrocious. I'm also not a fan of their hardware design, but that's personal preference.

The next iPhone will be coming next fall. If your upgrade is before next March, buy the iPhone 5.

EDIT: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/22/3527126/motorola-droid-razr-hd-maxx-hd-review
Quote from: The Verge
Apart from solid battery life (which to be honest, may be enough of a differentiating factor in itself for many people), the RAZR HD doesn’t offer the best display, the fastest performance, or the best camera that you can get on a smartphone these days.
  It may not be a bad phone, but why settle for 5th best?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:21:02 PM by SwiftCat »

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: October 27, 2012, 01:07:07 AM »
Android/Xbox 360 users- get this http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/xbox-smartglass-now-available-for-android/

It delivers as promised. Very cool app.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: October 30, 2012, 09:08:12 AM »
check the Tep Wireless option, i like it.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/iphonetrip-sim-rental-review-best-staying-connected-overseas-smartphone/

Yes, I will be doing this thing with my iphone. less than $200 for 2 weeks of unlimited data and voice in Europe, very nice. thanks clams.

ordered this unlimited data euro sim card. called sprint and they sent a signal to unlock our iphones. just had to login to itunes, back them up, wipe them, reinstall backup and they were both unlocked. pretty pud actually. sprint was really cool about it. less than $200 for unlimited data for 11 days is pretty nice imo. especially after looking at what overseas data rates were. could have gotten a 100mb per day SIM for about $120 but went with the $180 for unlimited so I didn't have to worry about it. Could have gotten voice as well for another $20 but I'm not calling anyone. the reviews say that they actually send you 2 SIMs in case you damage or lose one. my question is, can I just pop both of them into our two phones and use them both on the unlimited plan we paid for or will we get in troubs/it not work?