Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546102 times)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1825 on: October 05, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: October 08, 2012, 10:19:17 AM »
folks, if you have an Android phone, do yourself a big favor and go download Android Lost right now.  It's free.

My wife's phone was stolen by a waitress Saturday night.     I found this app last night around 9:00.   By 10:30, with the help of the fine men of the Topeka PD, I had my wife's phone back (sans case and memory card).

The app is amazing.    It can be installed remotely after the fact, but best to do it now, as you can do more if it's pre-installed.

www.androidlost.com

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: October 08, 2012, 11:12:30 AM »
<--------- Anxiously awaiting delivery of new iP5. 
@mikec2w

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1828 on: October 08, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »
chingon, why would you consider the nexus when the gs3 is an option?
I think really nerdy types like vanilla android rather than using touchwiz or a launcher from the play store.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »

When did you place the order? I ordered mine on Thursday. Let me know how long yours takes to arrive.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: October 08, 2012, 01:04:27 PM »

When did you place the order? I ordered mine on Thursday. Let me know how long yours takes to arrive.

Ordered 10 of them.  Store guy said by the end of the month. I am guessing around the 26th per the Verizon website.
@mikec2w

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: October 08, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: October 08, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
they don't have it either.  they do have crap coverage in the bay area though, so that's a plus.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: October 08, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »
they don't have it either.  they do have crap coverage in the bay area though, so that's a plus.

:nono:

http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/31046

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: October 16, 2012, 10:27:32 AM »
New call into Verizon, and this time the rep said that Verizon could move my upgrade up from late December until now for any other phone than the iPhone 5 and that I couldn't upgrade to iPhone 5 early and receive the discount. She claimed that Apple has mandated to Verizon that they will not allow people to upgrade with the discount to iPhone 5 if Verizon moved the eligibility date up, it had to be the actual date of from the contract for upgrade eligibility to get the discount. Does this sound legit? Can Apple do that?

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: October 16, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »
Why would Apple care when Verizon sold you a phone at a subsidized rate?  Apple has already been paid.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: October 16, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
Why would Apple care when Verizon sold you a phone at a subsidized rate?  Apple has already been paid.

Yeah, that was what I was getting at. The only thing I can think of is that Verizon still hasn't distributed iPhone 5s to everyone who ordered one via their website and their website says that they will "ship by 11/2". I suppose its possible Apple stopped the upgrades to limit orders until after that date, but that still seems strange.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: October 16, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »
Lots of brands restrict how, when and for how much 3rd parties can sell their stuff, in order to keep the perceived brand value up.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: October 16, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »
apple isn't telling verizon when verizon customers can upgrade. 
in response to trim's point, the sale price is still the same, the discount/rebate doesn't effect the sale price.

the issue is that the iphone is so highly subsidized by the carrier that the carrier doesn't want to eat into its margin any more than the subsidy/rebate offer already does.  so in this example, they're saying it's apple's call.  but it's not.

i still don't believe that they're going to make you wait until the end of december, but who knows.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: October 16, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »
in response to trim's point, the sale price is still the same, the discount/rebate doesn't effect the sale price.

the issue is that the iphone is so highly subsidized by the carrier that the carrier doesn't want to eat into its margin any more than the subsidy/rebate offer already does.  so in this example, they're saying it's apple's call.  but it's not.

i still don't believe that they're going to make you wait until the end of december, but who knows.

That's what I thought. The strange things is she told me I could upgrade to any other smart phone, just not the iPhone 5, and then gave me the line about Apple not allowing them to change upgrade dates.

I don't think they will either.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: October 16, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »

That's what I thought. The strange things is she told me I could upgrade to any other smart phone, just not the iPhone 5, and then gave me the line about Apple not allowing them to change upgrade dates.

Call their bluff and ask them what the buyout is for your contract.  Tell them you are getting a 5 now whether it is with them or another company.  Make sure you are talking to a manager though and not some hourly rube.
@mikec2w

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: October 16, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »
Iphone 4s  or iphone 4.  For my wife.  iphone 4 is free.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: October 16, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »
4s.  4 is a year older than the already outdated 4s.  apple will stop supporting the 4 before the stop supporting the 4s.  plus the 4s is only $99 (yes, that is more than free but it's only $99).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: October 16, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »

the reason why they claim they won't touch the iphone 5 but they will upgrade you on other phones is because the subsidy on the iphone 5 is so much more than other phones, meaning it takes them longer to recover it/make it back from your service fees.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: October 16, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »
How well does google stuff work on an iphone?  Like I do a lot of stuff through google and I like how it's kind of the default for email, calendar, contacts, etc. on an android phone.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »
How well does google stuff work on an iphone?  Like I do a lot of stuff through google and I like how it's kind of the default for email, calendar, contacts, etc. on an android phone.

I use the same and its easy to sync that stuff onto an iPhone too.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: October 16, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »
i'm a google geek <---  :lol: and my google stuff works good w/ iphone.  i use the following google stuff- chrome, gmail, maps, you tube.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: October 16, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »
google drive also works well

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: October 16, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »

I use the same and its easy to sync that stuff onto an iPhone too.

Show me next time I'm up there.  Maybe during the boring parts of the hoops scrimmage.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: October 16, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
4s.  4 is a year older than the already outdated 4s.  apple will stop supporting the 4 before the stop supporting the 4s.  plus the 4s is only $99 (yes, that is more than free but it's only $99).

Thanks, what I needed.

<<<<<<<<<<<< not a cell phone insidery person.