Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546126 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1775 on: September 21, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
It's 2:23pm on release day and some of the rendering and location issues are already being fixed.

I upgraded my 4s yesterday and the main thing I hate is the search. it doesn't find crap.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: September 21, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »
It's 2:23pm on release day and some of the rendering and location issues are already being fixed.

I upgraded my 4s yesterday and the main thing I hate is the search. it doesn't find crap.

Well, that sucks.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: September 21, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »

For most people in the US I think this will be the biggest issue. They'll likely fix a lot of the glitches pretty quick, but the information they lost that google has spent years connecting to will take time to replicate in the IOS system.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: September 21, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »
sweet that turn by turn is included now though

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: September 21, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »
on the front poarch under the mat.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: September 21, 2012, 10:40:50 PM »
Sprint mail order is nails and the device credit program is pretty great too.  Love seeing those UPS boxes from louisville, KY on the porch.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: September 21, 2012, 10:44:21 PM »
sprint is coming off as BITB right now on the iphone5

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: September 22, 2012, 12:50:31 AM »
Hemmy, what do you think of HTC's new Window's Phone 8x? (dumber name than the iPhone 5)

Personally, I still think the Lumia 920 looks like a better phone, but I'm curious what you think.

Offline Farley Grudge

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: September 26, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »
I think I might upgrade my wife from her EVO 4G to an iPhone.  I upgraded to the EVO 3D after I had gone through 5 EVO 4G's in a year. It was cheap and had the dual core processor, blah, blah, blah.  I hate that damn phone and wish that I would've waited for something else. My question is this. Should I keep my 3D or switch back to her 4G until I can upgrade. I liked the feel of my 4G and I hate the feel of the 3D. Is it really a better phone than the old 4G?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: September 26, 2012, 02:58:20 PM »
the 3d is a bigger piece of crap than the 4g

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Farley Grudge

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: September 26, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »
So you're saying that I should take her 4g until I can upgrade and sell back my 3d?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: September 26, 2012, 03:42:15 PM »
i would.   the 3d is a massive POS.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: September 26, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »
Just do what you want. the 4G is old, but was a good phone. The 3D was never good to begin with.

Offline Farley Grudge

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: September 27, 2012, 08:54:43 PM »
Just do what you want. the 4G is old, but was a good phone. The 3D was never good to begin with.

I had 5 4g's in a year. FIVE!!! Problem after problem with that damn phone. The 3d hasn't given me any problems at all, I just don't like it.  I upgraded to it because I was sick of getting replacement phones that were just a jacked up as the one I turned in and I was being cheap.  I should have waited for a better phone but oh well.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: October 03, 2012, 11:57:20 AM »
I absolutely hate . . . HATE spending money on these phones.

But I must get a new one. 

I can get an Iphone 4 8G for Free or a 4S 16G for $49.

I can get an Iphone 5 16G for $199. 

I can get a Motorola Photon Q 4G for $199 (Never liked the Motorola Phones, but I love their radios). 

I can get a Samsung Galaxy S III 8 G for $199.   

I'm really leaning towards the Iphone 4, because while the 5 has a bigger screen, blah, blah.   It's not like it's a huge paradigm shift IMO.

Would like to wait and see what the Windows 8 phones are going to be like, but I don't think I can wait that long.   I hate my current phone.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: October 03, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »
Get the iPhone 5. It has a bigger screen.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: October 03, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »
Get the iPhone 5. It has a bigger screen.

meh

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1793 on: October 03, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »
eyesight declines as we get older.. get the 5

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: October 03, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »
5 is also on 4G, may make a difference. :dunno:

Speaking of iPhone 5, I've called Verizon a couple of times to try to move up my renewal eligibility date from Dec 28th. Every rep says different things; I've heard that maybe they could move it up a week, maybe 30 days, and maybe call back at the end of this month when Verizon customers that ordered an iPhone 5 get theirs (Oct 26th). I know Sprint is different, but is it standard to get this many different answers from customer service? (clams?)

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: October 03, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
5 is also on 4G, may make a difference. :dunno:

Speaking of iPhone 5, I've called Verizon a couple of times to try to move up my renewal eligibility date from Dec 28th. Every rep says different things; I've heard that maybe they could move it up a week, maybe 30 days, and maybe call back at the end of this month when Verizon customers that ordered an iPhone 5 get theirs (Oct 26th). I know Sprint is different, but is it standard to get this many different answers from customer service? (clams?)

most definitely common- and there are 2 reasons. 

the first reason is that there is no hard & fast upgrade rule.  the answer varies according to each customer's value to verizon which verizon has already calculated.  they'll bend over backwards to keep high value customers happy.

the second reason is that the rep you're talking to is poorly trained and most likely doesn't know how to handle the situation- since because of what i explained as the first reason, every situation is handled differently.

i would bet that if you went in on Dec 1st and asked to upgrade, there's a 95% chance they would do it without hesitation.  if that's what you want to do.  sprint allows you to buy back months of your upgrade eligibility- meaning if you're not due until January, you can upgrade - but with less of a credit applied to the cost of the new handset, so instead of getting $600-$400 credit and paying $200, you might only get a $350 credit and pay $250 for the handset.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: October 03, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »
most definitely common- and there are 2 reasons. 

the first reason is that there is no hard & fast upgrade rule.  the answer varies according to each customer's value to verizon which verizon has already calculated.  they'll bend over backwards to keep high value customers happy.

the second reason is that the rep you're talking to is poorly trained and most likely doesn't know how to handle the situation- since because of what i explained as the first reason, every situation is handled differently.

i would bet that if you went in on Dec 1st and asked to upgrade, there's a 95% chance they would do it without hesitation.  if that's what you want to do.  sprint allows you to buy back months of your upgrade eligibility- meaning if you're not due until January, you can upgrade - but with less of a credit applied to the cost of the new handset, so instead of getting $600-$400 credit and paying $200, you might only get a $350 credit and pay $250 for the handset.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm just planning to call every now and then and some time I'll get the right rep. If I have to wait, I can live with it, plus after the iPhone 5 buzz blows over they'll probably be more willing to work with me too. Verizon doesn't have the buy back eligibility program like Sprint.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: October 03, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »
at this time, i don't have any desire to upgrade my 4s, i like the size and weight and feel of it.
iphone 5 feels weird in my hand and i don't have a need (right now) for LTE on my handset.  tapatalk works great for browsing the forums and other than that, i only use data briefly to check things like flight times or phone numbers, etc.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: October 03, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »
4G and the size is significant enough for me, plus I plan to upgrade my wife to my 4s.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: October 03, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »
Probably already covered, but I couldn't find it.  How's the LTE (Sprint specifically) in Manhattan?  Like does it get flooded to where I can't send text message during a game?