Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546137 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1750 on: September 18, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »
how much does a burner cost

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: September 18, 2012, 07:17:40 PM »
Is my iphone 4s a "locked" device?  it gives me warnings saying that:

I undestand that the selected plan will not work with my locked device.
I will rent unlocked device or find other soultion to use with the rented SIM.

if I'm still on contract it will be locked, right?

I was talking about the Tep Wireless product, not the other sim card thing.  I thought you just wanted data. 
Sprint will unlock your phone if you tell them you're going international, if you want to go the Sim card route.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: September 18, 2012, 07:52:54 PM »
Is my iphone 4s a "locked" device?  it gives me warnings saying that:

I undestand that the selected plan will not work with my locked device.
I will rent unlocked device or find other soultion to use with the rented SIM.

if I'm still on contract it will be locked, right?

I was talking about the Tep Wireless product, not the other sim card thing.  I thought you just wanted data. 
Sprint will unlock your phone if you tell them you're going international, if you want to go the Sim card route.

Yeah, it was roughly the same price but I figured it would be one less thing I'm lugging around in my pocket all day.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: September 19, 2012, 08:38:11 AM »
it's just a bit more complicated to go the sim card route but if that's what you want to do, you'll need to go to the sprint store and ask them to unlock it.  then you can order the iphonetrip sim.  just tell them you're going to europe.

the Tep Wireless hotspot is easier to deal with.

also i liked the protip in the article about downloading the google map of london to your phone ahead of time so you aren't using your data connection when you're using the map.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: September 19, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »
also i liked the protip in the article about downloading the google map of london to your phone ahead of time so you aren't using your data connection when you're using the map.

yes, good protip

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: September 19, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »

yes, good protip

wish i had this protip when i went to montreal for a daytrip last month

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: September 20, 2012, 05:54:34 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: September 21, 2012, 07:24:41 AM »
it's just a bit more complicated to go the sim card route but if that's what you want to do, you'll need to go to the sprint store and ask them to unlock it.  then you can order the iphonetrip sim.  just tell them you're going to europe.

the Tep Wireless hotspot is easier to deal with.

I don't know, that Tep thing, on top of having to carry it around, has to be mailed back once you're done with it. the other thing they send you a SIM and you just throw it away when you are done. seems pretty pud outside of getting the phone unlocked.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: September 21, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
I just ordered two, and they will be here next Friday.  The whole process took like 5 minutes in between work and bbsing.  If they do arrive next Friday, I will say Sprint really rough ridin' nailed this one.

Wow!  Sprint totally rough ridin' gold medal nailed the rough ridin' landing on this one.  Phones arrived this morning!

:excited:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: September 21, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »
who delivered it? I didn't even check to see how it was being shipped. I wonder if this thing is going to be sitting under my door mat all day.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: September 21, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
Mine were delivered UPS.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: September 21, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
So can you not streetview with ios6? And if you use safari you still can't streetview because no flash? I understand you can probably get around it with some app somewhere, but, woof.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: September 21, 2012, 10:09:04 AM »
I've never used street view on a phone so I don't know

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: September 21, 2012, 11:23:23 AM »
It's inside of MC's link, but this tumblr is worth being linked to directly.

Android's app map is something that I use all of the time, and was already way ahead of what could be found in ios.  And this is a huge step back. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: September 21, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
The turn by turn on IOS6 maps is nice. I'm not surprised they made a few mistakes in coming up with their own maps program OF THE WORLD. No doubt Google is the bitb of maps right now, but they've been doing it for a long time. When theirs was new, it had errors too. It just wasn't on millions of smart phones at the time.

I'm just disappointed I can't upgrade until December. I called Verizon and they said they could probably push up the date 30 days, but not 3 months. And I don't love iPhone enough to pay full price.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: September 21, 2012, 11:40:20 AM »
The turn by turn on IOS6 maps is nice. I'm not surprised they made a few mistakes in coming up with their own maps program OF THE WORLD. No doubt Google is the bitb of maps right now, but they've been doing it for a long time. When theirs was new, it had errors too. It just wasn't on millions of smart phones at the time.

That's kind of the point.  Many of those millions of people have become reliant on having accurate map data in their pockets all the time.  Those with iPhones had it/have it right now.  Apple is now "upgrading" those people to a product that is demonstrably much worse than what they previously had. 

Yes mapping the whole world is a difficult problem.  Google has thrown tremendous resources at that problem for a long time.  The only reason that Apple can get in the game is they have giant piles of money, but even with that, it is going to take them years to get to a place where their customers have the same functionality that they had last week.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: September 21, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »

That's kind of the point.  Many of those millions of people have become reliant on having accurate map data in their pockets all the time.  Those with iPhones had it/have it right now.  Apple is now "upgrading" those people to a product that is demonstrably much worse than what they previously had. 

Yes mapping the whole world is a difficult problem.  Google has thrown tremendous resources at that problem for a long time.  The only reason that Apple can get in the game is they have giant piles of money, but even with that, it is going to take them years to get to a place where their customers have the same functionality that they had last week.

Fair points.

I'm sure Google will have their own IOS app soon enough.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: September 21, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »

Fair points.

I'm sure Google will have their own IOS app soon enough.

It's a possibility, but no one is sure exactly why Google got kicked out of the maps app to start with.  Google may have decided that they want to keep Maps as an advantage for Android.  Or perhaps Apple will decide not to allow an app that duplicates core functionality (something that they have backed off of, but have done in the past).  Even if Google does make one, you won't be able to make it your default maps app, so clicking on an address in your contacts, Safari, or an app like Yelp will still pull up the Apple Maps app.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: September 21, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
It's a possibility, but no one is sure exactly why Google got kicked out of the maps app to start with.  Google may have decided that they want to keep Maps as an advantage for Android.  Or perhaps Apple will decide not to allow an app that duplicates core functionality (something that they have backed off of, but have done in the past).  Even if Google does make one, you won't be able to make it your default maps app, so clicking on an address in your contacts, Safari, or an app like Yelp will still pull up the Apple Maps app.

I think Google will cave on this one.

Just having a decent turn by turn navigation option makes the new one better for my uses anyway. I didn't like the google maps on the iphone before for that reason alone, and used another navigation app anyway.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: September 21, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »

I think Google will cave on this one.

Just having a decent turn by turn navigation option makes the new one better for my uses anyway. I didn't like the google maps on the iphone before for that reason alone, and used another navigation app anyway.

A Google map app might be a sign of Apple having caved, and not vice versa.  We'll never know, and frankly I don't care.

And the current app won't be a better option if those directions take you to the wrong place, or if the address you are looking for simply does not exist.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: September 21, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »
google already said they are going to have a map app for iOS

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: September 21, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
tomorrow i'm going to walk into a sprint store and play around with iphone5 and evo 4g lte and make a decision  :ohno:

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: September 21, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »

I think it likely there will be one.  There are all kinds of rumors about when it will be out.  What there isn't, is an official statement from Google or Apple one way or the other, nor is there a time line.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: September 21, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »

I think it likely there will be one.  There are all kinds of rumors about when it will be out.  What there isn't, is an official statement from Google or Apple one way or the other, nor is there a time line.

sounds like "before xmas"

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/20/crap-maps/

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: September 21, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
It's 2:23pm on release day and some of the rendering and location issues are already being fixed.