Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546217 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1300 on: November 21, 2011, 08:31:25 AM »
Getting a Windows Phone 7, v. badass.

hemmy's gonna hem  :lol:

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: November 21, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »
...Captivate Glide...

I'm sorry, but this just sounds like it has something to do w/ condoms.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: November 23, 2011, 07:01:30 PM »
Motorola X2
HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Incredible 2

Go ahead and rule out the Thunderbolt. It's been having a lot of issues and battery life is really bad.

Yeah, you don't want the Thunderbolt.

If you are willing to go Incredible 2, you may as well go with the iPhone 4. JMHO. Neither are 4G, but the iPhone 4 is $99 while the Incredible 2 is $149. X2 is also not 4G, but the same $99 price as iPhone 4.

Granted, if you like Droid over iPhone that's cool. Both are good, I've just become partial to iPhone since I switched. For example, I can get an ESPN radio stream pretty much anywhere, even when I drop out of 3G coverage areas. When I was on Android I had all kinds of issues with ESPN radio.

hmmm, I was leaning towards the X2, but it looks like the Incredible 2 is free (red only), a red phone looks crappy, but free makes it interesting. Anybody know what "International style" means? Plus when _fan talks, you have to listen .....

http://specialoffers.verizonwireless.com/holiday/2011/
I'm purple down

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: November 23, 2011, 09:07:06 PM »

hmmm, I was leaning towards the X2, but it looks like the Incredible 2 is free (red only), a red phone looks crappy, but free makes it interesting. Anybody know what "International style" means? Plus when _fan talks, you have to listen .....

http://specialoffers.verizonwireless.com/holiday/2011/

International just means it has the radios to work on European networks. Not a big deal unless you travel a bunch.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: November 23, 2011, 09:41:04 PM »
Well, not a big deal unless you travel outside the US a bunch.  Doesn't the rest of the world use gsm, rather than Verizon/Sprint's cdma?

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: November 23, 2011, 10:44:03 PM »
Well, not a big deal unless you travel outside the US a bunch.  Doesn't the rest of the world use gsm, rather than Verizon/Sprint's cdma?

Pretty much.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: November 23, 2011, 11:55:38 PM »
You only mentioned Europe so I was unsure if that was still the case.  :ck:

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: November 24, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »
You only mentioned Europe so I was unsure if that was still the case.  :ck:

That was me just thinking small minded. Not every other country uses GSM, but you are correct in that most of them do.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: November 24, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »
Still very happy with my  fascinate just got ginger bread, seemed to have fixed  a lot of bugs

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: November 24, 2011, 10:34:04 AM »
Motorola X2
HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Incredible 2

Go ahead and rule out the Thunderbolt. It's been having a lot of issues and battery life is really bad.

Yeah, you don't want the Thunderbolt.

If you are willing to go Incredible 2, you may as well go with the iPhone 4. JMHO. Neither are 4G, but the iPhone 4 is $99 while the Incredible 2 is $149. X2 is also not 4G, but the same $99 price as iPhone 4.

Granted, if you like Droid over iPhone that's cool. Both are good, I've just become partial to iPhone since I switched. For example, I can get an ESPN radio stream pretty much anywhere, even when I drop out of 3G coverage areas. When I was on Android I had all kinds of issues with ESPN radio.

All Apple people are really pushy.  I've never had trouble streaming any radio stations, I stream using radio time with the EVO on every drive through the sticks on the way to Manhattan.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: November 25, 2011, 11:55:47 AM »
t-bolt w/ miui rom  :love:

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: November 25, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »
razr looks really cool.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 14, 2011, 12:54:13 PM »
Question for you Sprint people. My wife's phone is crap and her upgrade date isn't until June. I have heard stories of Sprint letting people upgrade early, but is there any chance we could upgrade her now? She's on $30 Sero and we would upgrade to the "normal" Sero if that makes any difference.

I wasn't even thinking of this until my IT guy mentioned doing it for Christmas. He did it for his wife (ATT). They let him do it 5 months early.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 14, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »
Question for you Sprint people. My wife's phone is crap and her upgrade date isn't until June. I have heard stories of Sprint letting people upgrade early, but is there any chance we could upgrade her now? She's on $30 Sero and we would upgrade to the "normal" Sero if that makes any difference.

I wasn't even thinking of this until my IT guy mentioned doing it for Christmas. He did it for his wife (ATT). They let him do it 5 months early.

never tried, but if I were sprint I'd let costumers do whatever the eff they want.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 14, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »

they'll probably give her some of her upgrade credit but not all of it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 14, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
I just found out that I'm not due until next year for a rebate.  Didn't realize Sprint had done away with their smaller, yearly rebates.  What kind of early discount would I be able to negotiate with Sprint?  Best to do it over the phone or at the store?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 14, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »
they'll probably give her some of her upgrade credit but not all of it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 14, 2011, 05:16:24 PM »
Try upgrade credit at a store or exchanging for a refurb of something that is comparably as crappy if your crappy phone is crappy and even acts crappy

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 22, 2011, 10:23:25 AM »
Buying a gift for the Evo 3D owner.  How do I give them music?  Like, if I were buying for an iPhone user just give a iTunes giftcard.  But what do I do for a Sprint phone?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 22, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »
Buying a gift for the Evo 3D owner.  How do I give them music?  Like, if I were buying for an iPhone user just give a iTunes giftcard.  But what do I do for a Sprint phone?

I would do Amazon. Not sure you can get an android market gift card

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: December 22, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »
I guess you could give them a manual on how to torrent their music.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: December 22, 2011, 02:28:06 PM »
razr looks really cool.

I think I'm gonna spring for one of these after the hoildays.  Anybody have one yet?
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: December 23, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »
razr looks really cool.

I think I'm gonna spring for one of these after the hoildays.  Anybody have one yet?

:love: the RAZR tablet, whatever it's name is.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: January 04, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
After going back and forth between the Bionic and the Razr I settled on the Droid Bionic.  Got it today.  It's my first upgrade since the original Droid I've been using since January '10.  Holy. crap. Fast.  :horrorsurprise:  Got it for $119 and no sales tax from Frys Wireless online.  :kstategrad:

I'm considering rooting it so I can use the free WiFi tether but I can't decide if it's worth the risk since that's really the only reason I want to root. I rooted my Nook Color and turned it into an Android tablet but I'm generally a little :ohno: about rooting cell phones. Anybody have any experience with this?
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 04, 2012, 11:08:18 PM »
I'm considering rooting it so I can use the free WiFi tether but I can't decide if it's worth the risk since that's really the only reason I want to root. I rooted my Nook Color and turned it into an Android tablet but I'm generally a little :ohno: about rooting cell phones. Anybody have any experience with this?

There really isn't any danger in rooting your phone. Very little risk. If you happen to have a problem and need to take it in to Verizon, it's simple enough to un-root it.