Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538746 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #725 on: January 11, 2011, 08:15:35 AM »
Sprint gave me $270 for my iPhone & Hero, Evo is now rooted and a FREE mobile hotspot  :love:
this recently?  what software build did you root?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 11, 2011, 11:57:45 AM »
My contract is up in 3 weeks. 

My choices:

1. Stay with AT&T, upgrade to iPhone4.
2. Switch to Sprint and go w/ the Evo
3. Switch to Verizon and (crap I dont' even know what phone they would have)  Help!

I need some good advice from someone smart like Steve Dave or 'Clams.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 11, 2011, 12:17:09 PM »
get off of att.  verizon will have the iPhone 4 on 2/10, either go with that or the EVO on sprint.

evo can do everything the iphone 4 can do and more, it's just not integrated as well as the apple product.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 11, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »
I got a black market droid x and switched it into my verizon plan, so I'm not bound to anything.  Will be less problems to continue expensing it if I stay on verizon.  Looks like HTC thunderbolt and Motorola droid bionic will be verizon comparables to sprint htc evo 4g.  What should I get?  Would also consider verizon iphone.  Not in a hurry for any of them, unless sd figures out how to break my droid x.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 11, 2011, 12:26:34 PM »
get off of att.  verizon will have the iPhone 4 on 2/10, either go with that or the EVO on sprint.

evo can do everything the iphone 4 can do and more, it's just not integrated as well as the apple product.

agree witch clams.  Plus you could take advantage of the 4g if you go with Sprint since you live in KC.  I haven't heard but would guess the Verizon iphone plan will be more expensive than the Sprint Evo plan and not have 4g.  then again, iphones seem pretty elite.  just get off att.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 11, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
I got a black market droid x and switched it into my verizon plan, so I'm not bound to anything.  Will be less problems to continue expensing it if I stay on verizon.  Looks like HTC thunderbolt and Motorola droid bionic will be verizon comparables to sprint htc evo 4g.  What should I get?  Would also consider verizon iphone.  Not in a hurry for any of them, unless sd figures out how to break my droid x.

would not put it past him. that guy lives to break phones.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 11, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »

you better figure out whichever one doesn't have a keyboard and plan on getting it because I am going to break the crap out of your X.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 11, 2011, 12:30:12 PM »
ya the vzn plan is $20 more/mo then the everything data plan on sprint with the 4G tax added in.

Offline turns_cats_trashy

• Combo-Fan
  • We're all living in Wally world
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 12, 2011, 12:50:27 AM »
Sprint gave me $270 for my iPhone & Hero, Evo is now rooted and a FREE mobile hotspot  :love:

Yeah, did it Friday to software build 3.70.651.1. It wasn't half as hard as I imagined it would be and some of the custom roms are pretty bad ass.
"Kansas coach Bill Self, who wears the worst toupee we've seen in college sports yet is seemingly never called on it." - Deadspin

Offline Johnny Thunderbone

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 12, 2011, 01:16:52 AM »

Yeah, did it Friday to software build 3.70.651.1. It wasn't half as hard as I imagined it would be and some of the custom roms are pretty bad ass.

Running CyanogenMod 6.1.2 with the gingerbread keyboard and a couple of apps flashed on there.  :love:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: January 12, 2011, 07:52:34 AM »

cool thanks, the 3.70.XX.XXX.X build wasn't compatible until the last two weeks or so, i think i checked around Christmas and they still hadn't released a root yet.  this is good news.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 12, 2011, 07:54:41 AM »
I hate the crap out of AT&T's data service
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 12, 2011, 08:00:10 AM »
I hate the crap out of AT&T's data service

pretty bad business decision that they've waited so long to deploy LTE considering everything they had at stake and the fact that they spent the last 4 years bathing in apple's money.

losing iphone 4 exclusivity is really going to hurt them badly.  their growth came almost exclusively from the iphone.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 12, 2011, 09:35:44 AM »
I've decided to drop AT&T. 

My decision is now between Sprint and the EVO and going to Verizon and the iPhone 4 or DroidX. 

I assume Sprint's monthly rates are better than Verizon's and the 4G blows Verizon's coverage away.  How can Verizon compete with Sprint and the EVO?
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline pufiZzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 12, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »

My decision is now between Sprint and the EVO and going to Verizon and the iPhone 4 or DroidX. 

I assume Sprint's monthly rates are better than Verizon's and the 4G blows Verizon's coverage away.  How can Verizon compete with Sprint and the EVO?

Sprint's 4g definitely does not blow Verizon's away.  Actually quite the opposite.  Sprint's 4g is wimax compared to the LTE that Verizon runs.  Sprint might be offering 4g in some places that Verizon is not but that will change sooner than later.  LTE kicks the crap out of wimax.  Google it. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 12, 2011, 09:43:01 AM »
Is LTE even launching in KC?  If so, when? I know Verizon doesn't have any current 4G phones available and neither of the ones you mentioned are 4g anyway.  Plus, as clams mentioned, verizon will cost more for their data plans.  The only benefit to verizon that I can see is that the iphone seems more elite.  I would definitely not go with verizon and a droid given the cost differences and no current 4g.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 12, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »

Sprint's 4g definitely does not blow Verizon's away.  Actually quite the opposite.  Sprint's 4g is wimax compared to the LTE that Verizon runs.  Sprint might be offering 4g in some places that Verizon is not but that will change sooner than later.  LTE kicks the crap out of wimax.  Google it. 

this isn't really accurate.  google it.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 12, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »
Sprint just dropped the price on the Epic and that Galaxy tab

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 12, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »
I really really like my epic.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 12, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 12, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »
clams- the eff is this? http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/sprint-promises-industry-first-at-february-7th-event/
i was surprised to read that on engadget this morning as anyone.  i don't think it's a hardware thing, my guess- and this is only a guess, is that it's a new plan or policy shift.  also could be a network related announcement.  i really have no idea

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 12, 2011, 07:57:52 PM »

cool thanks, the 3.70.XX.XXX.X build wasn't compatible until the last two weeks or so, i think i checked around Christmas and they still hadn't released a root yet.  this is good news.

Everything you need is here... it's for dummies so even goEMAWers should be able to pull it off  :emawkid:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html
"Kansas coach Bill Self, who wears the worst toupee we've seen in college sports yet is seemingly never called on it." - Deadspin

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 12, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
ya i have read that guide several times over the past 2 months, still only understand a little bit of it

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 12, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »
Did you download unrevoked?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 12, 2011, 10:14:58 PM »
no, not yet