Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 545905 times)

The Big Train

Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #2800 on: November 29, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »

To me, phones are all pretty much the same these days. The biggest difference is still software. And if you're good at using software, Google is better for you. If you're not good at using software, Apple is better for you.

Are you talking about the developers themselves or the actual end users? There is a big difference between the two.  The apps themselves have the same user friendliness across both platforms.

I'm talking about anyone who wants to use the phone in a way other than how it comes in the box.

But why are you advocating iPhone if you think user experience is the same between it and Android?

A native iOS app ported to Android and vice versa are essentially the same user experience.  I'm talking about the OS itself.  If you want to not have your app icons in a perfect grid, how does that make you better at software? 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: November 29, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »

To me, phones are all pretty much the same these days. The biggest difference is still software. And if you're good at using software, Google is better for you. If you're not good at using software, Apple is better for you.

Are you talking about the developers themselves or the actual end users? There is a big difference between the two.  The apps themselves have the same user friendliness across both platforms.

I'm talking about anyone who wants to use the phone in a way other than how it comes in the box.

But why are you advocating iPhone if you think user experience is the same between it and Android?

A native iOS app ported to Android and vice versa are essentially the same user experience.  I'm talking about the OS itself.  If you want to not have your app icons in a perfect grid, how does that make you better at software?

I can't tell if you're being disengenuous or actually that naive. Personally, I've screwed around with audio and video formats in many ways that would either be a major PIA or impossible with an Apple product.

I still don't get why you'd advocate iPhone over Android. If you agree that the apps have essentially the same user experience, then it seems you might also agree that the OSs have essentially the same user experience. What's left? Not hardware.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: November 29, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
Thank you, Android, open source, and things much less restrictive than Apple!

https://twitter.com/teamcatlab/status/653391472943857664

The Big Train

« Reply #2803 on: November 29, 2015, 01:52:02 PM »

I can't tell if you're being disengenuous or actually that naive. Personally, I've screwed around with audio and video formats in many ways that would either be a major PIA or impossible with an Apple product.

I still don't get why you'd advocate iPhone over Android. If you agree that the apps have essentially the same user experience, then it seems you might also agree that the OSs have essentially the same user experience. What's left? Not hardware.

I mean that's a given, Android is open source and iOS is proprietary software, and jetbrains couldn't dream of decompiling it.

I like iPhone and always have.  I also like having the ole #TeamiPhone vs #TeamAndroid debate, mostly because companies like Samsung couldn't compete without infringing on patents.  I also like the iOS IDE a lot better than Android, that said as software like Cordova get better, they are evolving into the same thing.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: November 29, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »
DWYW

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: November 29, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »
I like iPhone and always have.  I also like having the ole #TeamiPhone vs #TeamAndroid debate, mostly because companies like Samsung couldn't compete without infringing on patents.  I also like the iOS IDE a lot better than Android, that said as software like Cordova get better, they are evolving into the same thing.

I agree that the debate is fun. And also disappearing! There's an awful lot of convergence.

And where there isn't, it's hard to say that one approach is supperior because each has strengths and weaknesses. Like, I find it interesting that Google releases buggy Beta versions while Apple attempts only to release finalized versions. But I don't know that one way is ultimately better than the other.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: November 29, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »
I like having less choice and customizations. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: November 29, 2015, 03:46:51 PM »
when i notice someone using a non-iphone, i usually feel sorry for them b/c they're poor

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: November 30, 2015, 09:14:42 AM »
Basically, it comes down to how you want your phone to operate. If you want customization and ability to really tinker and toy with how it works, you should choose Team Android. If you want to be a mindless zombie and not have any options or customization, you should choose Team iOS. I like the first option, therefore I bought the Note5.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: November 30, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »
when i notice someone using a non-iphone, i usually feel sorry for them b/c they're poor

This.  It's a sobering reminder that we have a long way to go for economic equality.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: November 30, 2015, 10:20:19 AM »
Basically, it comes down to how you want your phone to operate. If you want customization and ability to really tinker and toy with how it works, you should choose Team Android. If you want to be a mindless zombie and not have any options or customization, you should choose Team iOS. I like the first option, therefore I bought the Note5.

:users:

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: November 30, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »
I stay away from iPhone because 90 percent of them have shattered screens so I assume they are poor quality
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: November 30, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »

or maybe it's because iphones are already great and don't need to customized to oblivion

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: November 30, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »
What exactly do you need to customize and play around with? 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

The Big Train

« Reply #2814 on: November 30, 2015, 12:31:14 PM »
What exactly do you need to customize and play around with?

There's like 30 different screen sized Android phones, so maybe screen protectors?  :dunno:

Audio and video formats also I guess  :confused:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: November 30, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »
how to customize android
About 51,400,000 results

how to customize iphone
About 71,000,000 results

:dunno:

Personally, I always want to customize my homescreen for the sake of effeciency.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: November 30, 2015, 01:39:21 PM »
Science proves there are 20 million more ways to customize an iphone.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: November 30, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »
Science proves there are 20 million more ways to customize an iphone.
or there are 20 million more people that want to do things they can't
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: November 30, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »
I feel like the day that I start buying Apple products is the day that I admit technology has gotten too complicated for me and I am just too old and I give up.
today is that day for me, taking advantage of cyber Monday to go full fanboy with new phones, ipads, mac mini and apple tvs.

The final straw was ipads becoming the standard for tech activities in my kids school.  I will be damned if I am going to waste an evening teaching my 4th grader power point when she already learned how to use iMovie in class.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: December 01, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
I've always had android, but it's getting old balls.  thinking about switching.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: December 01, 2015, 12:08:36 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: December 01, 2015, 12:16:12 PM »
HOW INNOVATIVE
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: December 02, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »
how hard is it for you to get your contacts/etc from an android to an iphone?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: December 02, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »
i think you save them to your google contacts and then download them to the iphone or just have the guy at the store do it

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: December 02, 2015, 12:25:39 PM »
That easy huh, probably going to go iPhone. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk