Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538812 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #550 on: August 30, 2010, 01:27:53 PM »
I think I'm going to try to get this done tomorrow.  I'll be traveling a bit in the next few weeks and I'd have Labor Day to figure out how the thing works. 

So, assuming they have a Droid 2 in stock, there's nothing that's going to come out anytime soon that's going to make a guy that's been happily rolling with a standard flip phone for the last 5 years be pissed that he's stuck with the droid 2 for 1.5 - 2 years, right?

Basically, I just need to be able to adequately message board with the thing in the car.

yep, I do a lot of message boarding behind the wheel.  It'll be fine for your needs.

:driving: but with using knee to steer.

DontTextAndDriveLogoMakingCat (I'm assuming this was his name) would not be impressed

message boarding, not texting.  :gocho:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 31, 2010, 10:23:04 AM »
Just picked up my epic  :gocho:

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 31, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
[

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 31, 2010, 03:48:04 PM »
<-- would kill a hobo to find an Evo. Wichita is bone dry. Got a crap ton of the POS Epics tho.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 31, 2010, 04:14:35 PM »
<-- would kill a hobo to find an Evo. Wichita is bone dry. Got a crap ton of the POS Epics tho.

Well you shouldn't have a hard time finding a hobo in that pos town.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 31, 2010, 04:43:13 PM »
you should check your store today/tomorrow, i bet they have some in stock...also, they're currently available on Sprint.com and they'll have it to you in ~2 days.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 31, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »
Experts, I can't fracking decide. Epic or Evo. I'm damn worried whichever I choose I'll wish I would have picked the other (a recurring theme in life). TIA.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 31, 2010, 08:03:17 PM »
Experts, I can't fracking decide. Epic or Evo. I'm damn worried whichever I choose I'll wish I would have picked the other (a recurring theme in life). TIA.

Clams posted this a few pages back....it's a review of the Epic and they compare it to the Evo

So is it the right phone for the job? In a word, yes -- the Epic 4G is a great device. Killer, even. Nothing speaks to us more strongly during the course of a review than finishing it and saying, "alright, I'm ready to buy this thing," and the Epic is on the short list of phones that has managed to do it. More than its Galaxy S siblings, it feels like the Epic has overcome its shortcomings -- notably the forgettable UI skin -- to shine, and it's a phone we could easily imagine using day to day. Only thing is, the EVO is also on that short list for us -- and the better camera, bigger screen, and $50 savings versus the Epic still make it our winner in this 4G shootout, though only by the thinnest of margins. Needless to say, if you need a physical keyboard and you're looking for the one of the most musclebound Android phones money can buy, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/epic-4g-review/

I went with the EVO because I didn't really care about the physical keyboard (haven't really missed it, but I don't  type much on my phone), AND I wanted the bigger display.  I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the Epic, though.

I live in a 4G area (KC) and travel a fair bit....so the 4G is fantastic.  You can't go wrong.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 31, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »
you should check your store today/tomorrow, i bet they have some in stock...also, they're currently available on Sprint.com and they'll have it to you in ~2 days.

If you can get to the KC area, the BEST place to get one is the Sprint store on the Sprint Campus.  If they are out, put your name on the list and you will get one within the week.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 31, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »

With sprint you have 30 days to return your device if you don't like it.  So just get whichever one you think you'll like the best, if you decide you like the other one, then return it and get that one.

Realistically, though it comes down to if you want a physical keyboard or not.  If you want a physical keyboard get an Epic, if you don't care, then get the EVO.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 31, 2010, 10:49:25 PM »
My dad was in Green Bay recently and marveled at the 4G speeds on his EVO.  (I was :surprised: that freakin Green Bay had 4G.). Anyhoos-  he dropped his phone and cracked the screen.  Sprint gave him the option of a $125 repair for a new screen or a $100 insurance claim for a new phone, presumably.  Kinda sucks the insurance deductable is so high.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 01, 2010, 12:23:25 AM »
Got the droid 2.  Don't know how to do anything.  Won't try until I have other pak'rs set it all up for me at MOAP.  Pissed that I forgot to have the verizon dude set up voice mail and call forwarding for me before I left.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 01, 2010, 02:39:55 AM »
Got the droid 2.  Don't know how to do anything.  Won't try until I have other pak'rs set it all up for me at MOAP.  Pissed that I forgot to have the verizon dude set up voice mail and call forwarding for me before I left.

Proud of you, welcome to the 21st century

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 01, 2010, 07:10:12 AM »

Download google voice and you voicemails will get texted/emailed to you and you never have to check them again.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 01, 2010, 07:50:02 AM »

Download google voice and you voicemails will get texted/emailed to you and you never have to check them again.

My plan is carrying around a piece of paper with me for the next 3 days and writing down everything I can think of that I need done and having it set up for me during down time in FoodPrepPak.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 01, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »

do you get weird translations?  we have a similar system where i work and i get some really odd voice to text translations that make getting messages a lot of fun.  it always thinks when people say my first name that they're saying "general".

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 01, 2010, 08:29:58 AM »

do you get weird translations?  we have a similar system where i work and i get some really odd voice to text translations that make getting messages a lot of fun.  it always thinks when people say my first name that they're saying "general".

Usually does a pretty good job but there are a few weird ones from people that garble their words.  I can always make them out.  Plus, I hate voicemails.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 01, 2010, 08:34:33 AM »
hate voicemails too, generally save them up until i have 3 or 4 then just keep hitting "7" until they're all gone.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:01 AM »
Voicemail transcriptions from little kids are particularly amusing.  Or so I hear. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 01, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »

This is the issue I had, I couldn't understand what the first four transmissions I received meant, the translations were wack so I had to uninstall it.  Voicemails are essential to my job, I get about 10 a day so I need accuracy.  I do like the non phone voicemail memo thingy that came with  the phone.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 01, 2010, 11:54:36 AM »
I really like the tweetdeck app for facebook/twitter.  Very clean and fast. 

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 01, 2010, 12:24:39 PM »

Just it just real-time feed you facebook or twitter updates?  The Epic came with something like that, and it works really well.  Except it is pink and there is no way to change the color. . .

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 01, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »

Just it just real-time feed you facebook or twitter updates?  The Epic came with something like that, and it works really well.  Except it is pink and there is no way to change the color. . .

ya, the EVO came with something that did it too but tweetdeck is better.  tweetdeck is a pretty established desktop twitter/facebook program so I'm throwing in with them. 

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 01, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »

ya, the EVO came with something that did it too but tweetdeck is better.  tweetdeck is a pretty established desktop twitter/facebook program so I'm throwing in with them. 

why can't I find it in the marketplace!?!?!  It's because I'm Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), isn't it. . .

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 01, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »

This is the issue I had, I couldn't understand what the first four transmissions I received meant, the translations were wack so I had to uninstall it.  Voicemails are essential to my job, I get about 10 a day so I need accuracy.  I do like the non phone voicemail memo thingy that came with  the phone.

True, if you need accuracy, its not very good.  Kind of fun to read them and compare to the real voicemail though.  And I try to tell people they really need to enunciate when they call.

I finally got Froyo today.