Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546135 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #2525 on: August 05, 2014, 12:45:19 PM »
So cell phone experts and enthusiasts, what next phone should I get?  I have a GSIII now, but honestly I am thinking Nexus 5.  Pros? Cons? Something else? Probably won't be moving to the iOS or Windows world. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: August 05, 2014, 12:48:32 PM »
So cell phone experts and enthusiasts, what next phone should I get?  I have a GSIII now, but honestly I am thinking Nexus 5.  Pros? Cons? Something else? Probably won't be moving to the iOS or Windows world. 

i say get the Nexus 5 and GS5, and do the whole dual hoslters thing that is catching on.   :Chirp:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: August 05, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
So, here's why I liked google voice (I no longer have it because the MMS thing was such a pain.)

Can text internationally w/ only wifi
can text from computer
can check voicemail from any device (and it's much better than any other VM service)
can send/receive calls from computer and it's the same number as my cell phone
easy to record calls
can make VOIP calls from phone (or at least you could, I think google since blocked this)

Yes I know there are ways around most of these but google voice was a pretty easy way to do it.

There's talk that they'll merge google voice with hangouts, which is such an awful application. Couldn't they have just copied what the iphone does? Apparently not, and it's terrible if you try to make it your primary SMS app.

What don't you like about Hangouts?  I think it's better than Apple Messages or whatever they call it.  The Apple one is like bare bones.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: August 05, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »
So, here's why I liked google voice (I no longer have it because the MMS thing was such a pain.)

can text from computer
can check voicemail from any device (and it's much better than any other VM service)
easy to record calls
can make VOIP calls from phone (or at least you could, I think google since blocked this)

Yes I know there are ways around most of these but google voice was a pretty easy way to do it.

There's talk that they'll merge google voice with hangouts, which is such an awful application. Couldn't they have just copied what the iphone does? Apparently not, and it's terrible if you try to make it your primary SMS app.

What don't you like about Hangouts?  I think it's better than Apple Messages or whatever they call it.  The Apple one is like bare bones.

the fact it's separate from the standard android messaging app. So people like my parents who are used to getting texts get hangouts instead, and are like, "what's a hangout???" And now they have to use two separate apps for messaging.

For pure chat, I'm sure it's fine, but they either needed to go all the way with SMS implementation or not even bother.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: August 05, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »

can text from computer
easy to record calls

the fact it's separate from the standard android messaging app. So people like my parents who are used to getting texts get hangouts instead, and are like, "what's a hangout???" And now they have to use two separate apps for messaging.

For pure chat, I'm sure it's fine, but they either needed to go all the way with SMS implementation or not even bother.

You can select SMS from the Hangouts part.  My SMS/chat messages merge seamlessly.  :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: August 05, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »

can text from computer
easy to record calls

You can select SMS from the Hangouts part.  My SMS/chat messages merge seamlessly.  :dunno:

I just checked and I guess they've improved it. I remember it being a pain/confusing when they first merged them. I'll give it another shot, I guess.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: August 05, 2014, 01:49:57 PM »

can text from computer
easy to record calls

I just checked and I guess they've improved it. I remember it being a pain/confusing when they first merged them. I'll give it another shot, I guess.

yeah, looks like they just made this update in April:

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2145823/google-finally-adds-integrated-messaging-to-hangouts-in-latest-android-update.html

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: August 05, 2014, 02:20:39 PM »
you guys i use my phone all the time and never have any of these problems.  seems like you're just creating problems for yourselves but who knows, maybe i'm just not an advanced user.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2533 on: August 05, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »
you guys i use my phone all the time and never have any of these problems.  seems like you're just creating problems for yourselves but who knows, maybe i'm just not an advanced user.
which phone my main man clams?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: August 05, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »

can text from computer
easy to record calls

Yeah, I wasn't sure what you were talking about. Hangouts is all I use and it's great.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: August 05, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »
i'd say the LG G3, the Nexus 5, the Note 3.  depends on if the bigger phones bug you.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: August 05, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »
Went from s3 to s5 last week chings, I like it. I liked the s3 a lot too
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2537 on: August 05, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
I don't mind a larger phone (I am a very tall person, so a big phone sits better in my hands).

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: August 05, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »
the G3 is a really good phone but if you're a purist, the Nexus

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: August 05, 2014, 05:36:21 PM »
nexus is like half as expensive

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: August 05, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »
Also, Nexus 6 rumored to be announced soon, and Nexus 4 got a $100 price drop right before Nexus 5 was announced. Hopeful Nexus 5 gets a similar drop.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: August 05, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
sprint/tmobile merger dead?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: August 05, 2014, 09:18:58 PM »
I love my Nexus 5. The G3 looks like a powerhouse, though. I don't like the Samsung interface.

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: August 06, 2014, 07:32:23 AM »
Today will be an interesting one on the compound...
[

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: August 10, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »
I'm looking for a new phone, does anybody have anything good/bad to say about the samsung galaxy 3 or motorola droid razr maxx (I realize I'm a couple years behind)
I'm purple down

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: August 10, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »
I'm looking for a new phone, does anybody have anything good/bad to say about the samsung galaxy 3 or motorola droid razr maxx (I realize I'm a couple years behind)

I had the S3 prior to getting the Nexus 5...it's a fine phone...nothing great.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: August 10, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
i would say for it's age, the s3 is still a very good phone
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: August 10, 2014, 08:06:30 PM »
Having a billionaire playboy CEO living in kc is gonna be fun.  Paris on the plains part two

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: August 10, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »
Having a billionaire playboy CEO living in kc is gonna be fun.  Paris on the plains part two
Singlehandedly get JetBlue in!!!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: August 19, 2014, 08:34:49 PM »