Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538991 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #300 on: July 24, 2010, 09:14:02 AM »
I usually use the stock browser.  I have opera and skyfire on there as well.  I will use skyfire to watch videos embedded on sites. (like the ridic lady eating chilis video SD posted the other day.)

DolphinHD has flash and will jump to the youtube app to play youtube links.  I like that about it. 

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 24, 2010, 12:33:04 PM »
For AT&T losers, the  Samsung Captivate is pretty cool.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 24, 2010, 12:40:47 PM »

Captivate is going to be on Sprint in a month or so ('Clams, please confirm).

I currently have a Palm Pre and am agonizing on whether to get the Samsung or the EVO.  I've read some good comparos, but most come back saying it's a toss up.  For example:  http://www.goodandevo.net/2010/07/htc-evo-4g-vs-samsung-captivate.html

I'd really like some sound advice on this....I'd go out and buy the EVO tonight if I could convince my self that I wouldn't regret not getting the Samsung.  I am literally frozen with indecision on this.....

Thoughts?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 24, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »
Pete, things to download:

Google voice (sets up so all of your voicemails get sent as texts/e-mails so you never have to listen to a voicemail again)
DolpinHD web browser (I think it's better than the stock browser and so far I've liked it better than Opera but I'm still trying both)
Pandora
Advanced Task Killer (kills all programs so they're not draining your battery when you aren't using them)
Amazon app (I buy a lot of books and it's fun as hell to take a picture or scan the bar code on a book at Barnes and Noble and it pops up the Amazon page to the book with reviews and their cost.)
Shop Savvy (takes barcodes of items and will show you how much and where they are available online)
Google Goggles (similar, takes photos or scans barcodes and then scans the internet for info on whatever it is)
Qik or Fringo (video chat apps.  With the EVO front camera you can video chat with mrs. pete if she has one too.  we travel a lot for work so this is pretty nice)
Kayak (easy to search for and book reservations)
Your phone will come with Friendstream which is a mash up of your facebook and twitter accounts.  Makes it easy to follow both.  I set it up as a full page widget.  
ESPN Scorecenter (You can personalize it to have live tracking of whatever teams you set.)
Weather Channel app
Put the google search app on your front page as a widget.  It'll search your phone/contacts/internet all from the one input and also has voice input.

That's all I can think of right now :dunno:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:58:50 PM by steve dave »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 24, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »

Google voice (sets up so all of your voicemails get sent as texts/e-mails so you never have to listen to a voicemail again)
DolpinHD web browser (I think it's better than the stock browser and so far I've liked it better than Opera but I'm still trying both)
Pandora
Advanced Task Killer (kills all programs so they're not draining your battery when you aren't using them)
Amazon app (I buy a lot of books and it's fun as hell to take a picture or scan the bar code on a book at Barnes and Noble and it pops up the Amazon page to the book with reviews and their cost.)
Shop Savvy (takes barcodes of items and will show you how much and where they are available online)
Google Goggles (similar, takes photos or scans barcodes and then scans the internet for info on whatever it is)
Qik or Fringo (video chat apps.  With the EVO front camera you can video chat with mrs. pete if she has one too.  we travel a lot for work so this is pretty nice)
Your phone will come with Friendstream which is a mash up of your facebook and twitter accounts.  Makes it easy to follow both.  I set it up as a full page widget. 
ESPN Scorecenter (You can personalize it to have live tracking of whatever teams you set.)
Weather Channel app
Put the google search app on your front page as a widget.  It'll search your phone/contacts/internet all from the one input and also has voice input.

Good list.  I'd also recommend Handcent for text messages.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 24, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »

Pandora
Qik or Fringo (video chat apps.  With the EVO front camera you can video chat with mrs. pete if she has one too.  we travel a lot for work so this is pretty nice)
Your phone will come with Friendstream which is a mash up of your facebook and twitter accounts.  Makes it easy to follow both.  I set it up as a full page widget. 
Weather Channel app
Put the google search app on your front page as a widget.  It'll search your phone/contacts/internet all from the one input and also has voice input.

What does it do _FAN?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 24, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »

Pandora
Weather Channel app

What does it do _FAN?

It organizes your texts and keeps them in conversation form.  Also allows for a ton of customization.  Much better than stock messaging.  JMHO.

You get swype yet?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 24, 2010, 04:37:11 PM »
note to self- download the bump thing and convince sd to do the same then just slam phones and steal all his stuff at ucla pak.  :driving:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 24, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
note to self- download the bump thing and convince sd to do the same then just slam phones and steal all his stuff at ucla pak.  :driving:
:surprised: :cheese:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 24, 2010, 05:03:24 PM »
You get swype yet?

No, I just use the stock keyboard.  Is it a big difference?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »

Reminded to do the same

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2010, 05:47:58 PM »

I currently have a Palm Pre and am agonizing on whether to get the Samsung or the EVO.  I've read some good comparos, but most come back saying it's a toss up.  For example:  http://www.goodandevo.net/2010/07/htc-evo-4g-vs-samsung-captivate.html

I'd really like some sound advice on this....I'd go out and buy the EVO tonight if I could convince my self that I wouldn't regret not getting the Samsung.  I am literally frozen with indecision on this.....

Thoughts?

They are both pretty sweet.  If you have any questions about the captivabe just ask me as my roommate has it.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 24, 2010, 08:27:45 PM »

Thoughts?

They are both pretty sweet.  If you have any questions about the captivabe just ask me as my roommate has it.

I went ahead and got the EVO.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 24, 2010, 10:36:12 PM »

Thoughts?

I went ahead and got the EVO.

:surprised: :pbj:

1. if i use my evo to record ksu related stuff and then youtube it and link here can it be a business expense? bsac?

2. i left my evo charger at work and did not want to drive all the way back today to get it. went to sprint/evo store to buy another. evo salesman showed me a charger/battery that could charge it but also stores three charges worth on it's own. bought it. thoughts?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 25, 2010, 08:25:29 AM »
2. i left my evo charger at work and did not want to drive all the way back today to get it. went to sprint/evo store to buy another. evo salesman showed me a charger/battery that could charge it but also stores three charges worth on it's own. bought it. thoughts?

cost?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 25, 2010, 09:21:35 AM »
heard about that, pretty sweet.

confirmo on the epic hitting sprint in the next month, thinking middle-late august

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 25, 2010, 10:24:37 AM »

cost?

I upgraded from a Palm Pre....the EVO uses the same charger as the Pre.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 25, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »

cost?

forty dollars U.S.

probably something better out there. dunno.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 25, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »

cost?

forty dollars U.S.

probably something better out there. dunno.

That doesn't seem bad for holding three charges.  Could come in very handy on a long flight if you're stuck in coach with no powerpoint.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 25, 2010, 11:45:41 AM »
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/25/samsung-website-calendar-suggests-sprint-epic-4g-in-late-august/

Okay, that looks really bad ass.  I've been searching for reviews and specs and stuff and I can't find what the video recording is going to be.  Will it be the same as the captivate?  The captivate's video is beyond amazing for a phone.

EDIT:  NVM, found it.  It does have the same video specs.  This phone is probably the best phone of the year I would think.  4g, HD video, physical and virtual keyboard, android OS.  Only problem is that the captivate is pretty think which is awesome, but I do wonder if the keyboard will make this phone really thick.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:49:35 AM by kitten_mittons »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 25, 2010, 11:54:04 AM »
it's pretty sweet, i was impressed with how thin it is and it looks really cool.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 25, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »
it's pretty sweet, i was impressed with how thin it is and it looks really cool.

I may be ditching by beloved Palm Pre unless HP comes out with some rough ridin' information about the next one soon.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 25, 2010, 12:05:51 PM »
there won't  be one soon.  fwiw.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 25, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »
Alright guys, I got the EVO and I'm not gonna lie.  I don't like this thing.  I can't type on it at all.  I took it in to the Sprint store and we calibrated the keyboard.  No luck!  There are so many things I won't use this phone for.  The most important things to me are text, email and phone.  Two of those three I find very hard to do.  Any suggestions?  I am seriously ready to take this phone back and go back to my BB.

:bang:

install Swype

Just installed Swype today and I'm very impressed.

I searched the marketplace for "Swype" and nothing.  :dunno: