Author Topic: Pizza carry-out  (Read 19351 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Pizza carry-out
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 02:58:51 PM »
what about applebees or chilis to go?  or applebees when they bring the food out to you at your car?

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
what about applebees or chilis to go?  or applebees when they bring the food out to you at your car?

Bring the food to your car? Of course you tip.

That's like room service.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
I say avoid those places, that eliminates the need to think about it.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »

Excellent.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 03:18:34 PM »
carry out pizza, no.  carry out food place where they have a dedicated person who is tasked with watching for my food, packaging it up, grabbing utencils, etc then most definitely yes, i will tip them 10% or round up to $2 which ever is more. 

last night i grabbed carry out from pf changs.  the girl there makes the same amount per hour as the wait staff and relies on tips to make up the difference between the $2/hr (or whatever wait/bartenders make).  this is the way it is at most restaurants.

the rewards for treating your bartenders and wait staff well are incredible.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 03:40:45 PM »
carry out pizza, no.  carry out food place where they have a dedicated person who is tasked with watching for my food, packaging it up, grabbing utencils, etc then most definitely yes, i will tip them 10% or round up to $2 which ever is more. 

last night i grabbed carry out from pf changs.  the girl there makes the same amount per hour as the wait staff and relies on tips to make up the difference between the $2/hr (or whatever wait/bartenders make).  this is the way it is at most restaurants.

I agree with all of this. Going forward, I'm no longer tipping the pizza carry out guy.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
As clams says, if the person who helps you out is getting waiting/bartending wages you tip to make up the diffy.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »

Do you tip at Sonic?

Sometimes I would (old dude on roller skates deserves a tip) but sonic doesn't give you an option when paying with debit card.  their loss.

I'm just always worried that they keep track of things like this somehow. (like when they ask for your phone number when placing an order)

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 04:00:28 PM »

It's amazing to me that all of this isn't common sense, but I guess there are a whole lot of dumb asses out there....

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 06:08:59 PM »
As clams says, if the person who helps you out is getting waiting/bartending wages you tip to make up the diffy.

Why should I subsidize their cheap-ass owner? I can't be held responsible for the payroll decisions of every establishment I visit. I refuse to support that kind of irresponsible management.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 06:47:41 PM »

Why should I subsidize their cheap-ass owner? I can't be held responsible for the payroll decisions of every establishment I visit. I refuse to support that kind of irresponsible management.

you're being provided a service, you should pay for it.  in this case, it's not the owner who is being the cheap ass.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 06:56:31 PM »

you're being provided a service, you should pay for it.  in this case, it's not the owner who is being the cheap ass.

But it was the owner's decision to pay non-waiters a waiter's salary.  :dunno:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
LOL @ tipping anywhere that isn't a sit down meal. Carryout from a sit down place doesn't count. Most places already give a percentage of the waiters tips to the dumbshit working carryout. If you work at a sit down restaurant and you get put on carryout every night, you are stupid and must suck at being a waiter. I tip well when I'm eating a sit down meal, but eff the rest.

Exceptions:
If the carryout girl is really hot
If you have change like me, then throw those dimes and quarters in the tip jar

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »
carry out pizza, no.  carry out food place where they have a dedicated person who is tasked with watching for my food, packaging it up, grabbing utencils, etc then most definitely yes, i will tip them 10% or round up to $2 which ever is more.  

last night i grabbed carry out from pf changs.  the girl there makes the same amount per hour as the wait staff and relies on tips to make up the difference between the $2/hr (or whatever wait/bartenders make).  this is the way it is at most restaurants.

What, may I ask, are these incredible rewards?  A BJ out back?  I would be willing to bet you never get back more dollars worth than you would be tipping, especially when you are not a "regular" at that particular establishment and since the tip comes at the end of the service.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:11:23 PM by Deez Nutz »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »
eff em

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »
I tip really great at places I go to regularly. Def makes a difference. You get seated faster, you get salads/apps/bread or whatever faster and your drinks are better. But I realize that I'm paying a premium for that. And I don't mind. Because I really hate waiting. On anything.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 08:02:54 PM »

If the service is just handing me a bag of food that I drove myself in to get, I don't give a tip. I don't care how much the waitress gets paid.

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 08:48:29 PM »
I don't get why touching food is some prodigious feat that deserves a tip.  I don't tip the guy at the auto parts store, the UPS delivery guy, shoe salesmen, etc. who put in equal to greater amounts of effort.  They should have tip jars too.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »
I don't get why touching food is some prodigious feat that deserves a tip.  I don't tip the guy at the auto parts store, the UPS delivery guy, shoe salesmen, etc. who put in equal to greater amounts of effort.  They should have tip jars too.

UPS delivery guy — can't accept cash tips. Neither can mail men.
Auto parts store guy — probably a jerk like all auto people.
Shoe salesmen — earns commission off my purchase.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 10:44:10 PM »

What, may I ask, are these incredible rewards?  A BJ out back?  I would be willing to bet you never get back more dollars worth than you would be tipping, especially when you are not a "regular" at that particular establishment and since the tip comes at the end of the service.

no.  you can't ask.  because you typed your first sentence like a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) version of shakespeare.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 10:44:44 PM »

If the service is just handing me a bag of food that I drove myself in to get, I don't give a tip. I don't care how much the waitress gets paid.

hey dumbass, read what i typed.  then go have sex with your mother.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »

But it was the owner's decision to pay non-waiters a waiter's salary.  :dunno:
they are waiters, they're waiting on you.  unless it was you that went to the kitchen, ensured your order was correct and complete, bagged it up, included everything you asked for, and ran the cash register yourself. 

listen.  i understand most of you rubes are the all $30k millionaires, but just stick with eating sonic and subway until you kids can afford eating at the places you choose to eat.  no one likes a cheap skate.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
I tip better at places I am a regular at

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 11:01:21 PM »
tipping is lame. If they need money maybe they should get a better job.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2011, 11:01:46 PM »
people that worked for tips tip. those that don't, don't. the people that did are in the right. pizza, like pizza hut or something then no. most places, yes. if you can't afford to then don't. same thing w/ drinking out. tip or stay home.