Author Topic: Young Earthers  (Read 4336 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Young Earthers
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »
Finally met one recently.  Kinda weird, anyone here one of them?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Young Earthers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:15:15 PM »
No, but I'm replying to an er'er.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 07:24:43 PM »
Not officially, tho I'm sure there are a couple in my church.  I can think of one gal whom I suspect is one.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
Yeah, they sneak up on you sometimes. Just easier to avoid the topic when you are suspicious.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 07:16:40 PM »
Young Earthers are no different than radical Islamic terrorist, except for the killing of infidels thing.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »
Young Earthers are no different than radical Islamic terrorist, except for the killing of infidels thing.

That's like saying there's no difference between a Lamborghini and a Hot Wheel, except for that whole $250K price tag and internal combustion engine thing.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 07:41:12 PM »

That's like saying there's no difference between a Lamborghini and a Hot Wheel, except for that whole $250K price tag and internal combustion engine thing.

They both take their respective scripture literally.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »

Still apples and oranges. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »

Still apples and oranges. 

How so? 

I don't know much about YE's other than they completely dismiss hundreds of years of scientific evidence that the Earth has been populated by humans and other species for much longer than 5 to 10 thousand years. Did God plant all that evidence to test faith? Seems pretty radical.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »
Someone following their version of the beliefs to the letter and saying the earth is 5000 y.o. is waaaayyy different than following a religion to walk into a cafe with a bomb strapped to your chest.  If you don't see the difference then you can't be reasoned with and are much closer to those types than you wish to accept.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 04:12:57 PM »
Someone following their version of the beliefs to the letter and saying the earth is 5000 y.o. is waaaayyy different than following a religion to walk into a cafe with a bomb strapped to your chest.  If you don't see the difference then you can't be reasoned with and are much closer to those types than you wish to accept.

But that is what I said.

YE's follow their beliefs to the letter as do radical Islamists, the only difference is what the scriptures instruct them to believe.

I certainly understand the difference between the two, but the mindset is very similar in that they are both radical in their beliefs. They are both considered crazy by 99.9% of the population.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 04:29:22 PM »

But that is what I said.

YE's follow their beliefs to the letter as do radical Islamists, the only difference is what the scriptures instruct them to believe.

I certainly understand the difference between the two, but the mindset is very similar in that they are both radical in their beliefs. They are both considered crazy by 99.9% of the population.

Actions on belief makes one a radical.  Believing in a y.e. is simply that, a believer.  Acting or giving aid to a suicide bomber (just one example) makes one a radical.  Thinking you don't like, say, Israel, does not.

I don't consider them (y.e.'s) crazy, and neither should you.  They have a different set of beliefs that's not hurting me or you.  Don't be intolerant.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 05:14:59 PM »

But that is what I said.

Actions on belief makes one a radical.  Believing in a y.e. is simply that, a believer.  Acting or giving aid to a suicide bomber (just one example) makes one a radical.  Thinking you don't like, say, Israel, does not.

I don't consider them (y.e.'s) crazy, and neither should you.  They have a different set of beliefs that's not hurting me or you.  Don't be intolerant.

I am in no way intolerant, they are free to believe whatever they like as long as they keep it out of the schools. I do think it is a little crazy, just like liberalism, but you do have to admire that kind of belief in the face of reality.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:45:51 AM »
My wife met some YE's who homeschooled.  The YE's were worried because their kids were starting to ask about dinosaurs, and they didn't know how to explain it.  I thought that kind of stuff would be covered in the YE manual, but guess not.