Author Topic: the argument for mike leach right now  (Read 79200 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
the argument for mike leach right now
« on: January 20, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »
this thread is an open conversation on why kstate should or should not hire mike leach right now. feel free to bring comments either way and we can have an open discussion.

why kstate should hire mike leach-

1) snyder is just "calming the waters"-  he is old and apparently only came back to calm things until a suitable replacement could be found. this is what he has stated publicly and we have no reason to not believe him. he would be happy to step aside.

2) snyder is just "calming the waters"- he is old and apparently only came back to calm things until a suitable replacement could be found. people who he and the staff are recruiting against are using this against him and his staff. ex.-"hey there 18 yr old four star! why would you go to kansas state when their coach is old and has publicly said that he is just there to "calm the waters"? "

3) head to head record as coaches in the same conference at similar schools- mike leach beat LHC Bill Snyder 4/5 times that they met. this includes games from 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005 and 2009. the combined score of the 2004 and 2005 games was 94-45. not very competitive. 2009 was even worse- 66-14.

so...those are my big 3. there are more, but i'll hold off for now and not mention respective ages or how many bowl games each went to in their last five years as head football coach in which they were members of the same conference in similar locals or how one may or may not have coached in a much more difficult division of the big12. open discussion for why this is not a viable option for the kansas state university football program should now commence.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:46:27 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: the argument for mike leach right now
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
I'd like someone to explain why Snyder is a better option than Leach at this point.  I'd just like to hear one real goddam reason.  I don't think it's possible.

Offline ltrain

• Combo-Fan
  • go cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:53:45 PM »
2) snyder is just "calming the waters"- he is old and apparently only came back to calm things until a suitable replacement could be found. people who he and the staff are recruiting against are using this against him and his staff. ex.-"hey there 18 yr old four star! why would you go to kansas state when their coach is old and has publicly said that he is just there to "calm the waters"? "

This doesn't get brought up enough IMO.  I mean Snyder and staff are bad enough at recruiting as-is. If its between Leach and Snyder then I'm pro-Leach.  If its between Leach, Snyder, RichRod, Wierd Robert or someone else then I might have to sleep on it
Wondering who is running this hot dog stand and seriously considering heading out for tacos.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »
I'd like someone to explain why Snyder is a better option than Leach at this point.  I'd just like to hear one real goddam reason.  I don't think it's possible.

i don't either. that's why i started the thread. i came up with around a bajillion why leach is the better option right now but could not come up with one for why snyder was the better option. i guess maybe old people money favors snyder. dunno? i think the money would more than work itself out if leach came on board though. people (humans) are insanely horrible on predicting what will make them happy in the future.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:01:11 PM »
I'd like someone to explain why Snyder is a better option than Leach at this point.  I'd just like to hear one real goddam reason.  I don't think it's possible.

Leach is weird and piratey and hits kids.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »
I give this thread  :katpak:  :katpak:  :katpak:

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »
OK, but is there ANY reason to think Leach might consider coaching at tKSU?  :dunno:  Maybe it's in another thread and I missed it.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 04:05:25 PM »
I'd like someone to explain why Snyder is a better option than Leach at this point.  I'd just like to hear one real goddam reason.  I don't think it's possible.

Leach is weird and piratey and hits kids.

Those are also in favor of Leach.   :ck:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:09:06 PM »
OK, but is there ANY reason to think Leach might consider coaching at tKSU?  :dunno:  Maybe it's in another thread and I missed it.

Yeah.  See the article where he was begging for every open BCS job and only got a sniff at Maryland.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 04:10:34 PM »
Leach could work with the kind of QB that we are able to get.  Not just work with, but set rough ridin' records.

We would have an amazing offense very quickly.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »

he took the head coaching job at texas tech was interested in coaching maryland.  i mean seriously. i don't know the guy personally and don't know what makes him tick but he comes off as a guy that would take a job just for the fun of it to prove some things. especially in a conference that he previously spent time in (ten years). besides, he's fifty. who exactly is going to hire him with his "baggage"? georgia? florida? usc? lol. wait...what's that? kstate you say? kstate might want to hire him? ok. lets do it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:42:34 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 04:15:02 PM »
not going to happen so why even talk about it.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »
OK, but is there ANY reason to think Leach might consider coaching at tKSU?  :dunno:  Maybe it's in another thread and I missed it.

Yeah.  See the article where he was begging for every open BCS job and only got a sniff at Maryland.

OK, but is there ANY reason to think Leach might consider coaching at tKSU?  :dunno:  Maybe it's in another thread and I missed it.

he took the head coaching job at texas tech was interested in coaching maryland.  i mean seriously. i don't know the guy personally and don't know what makes him tick but he comes of as a guy that would take a job just for the fun of it to prove some things. especially in a conference that he previously spent time in (ten years). besides, he's fifty. who exactly is going to hire him with his "baggage"? georgia? florida? usc? lol. wait...what's that? kstate you say? kstate might want to hire him? ok. lets do it.

I thought it was unclear whether Leach turned down Maryland or Maryland turned him down.  If Leach turned down Maryland, not sure why he'd come to tKSU...  So, seems to me this may be just another theoretical argument (like "is Snyder a better coach than Gary Patterson right now"), but I'd like to see Leach on the sidelines myself.  Carry on with thread...
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »
Yeah, the way it seemed to play out(assuming 810 info is ok) is that Mike was all but given the job, then two weeks later and only days before mike was to sign, Maryland up and hired the UConn turd and told Mike to GTFOOTF's.

He has gotta be wide open to a rebound relationship after being treated like that.  I would love to be Mike's rebound.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 04:19:05 PM »

If this season is bad enough for Snyder to get fired/step down, Currie had better have a damned good candidate if he doesn't at least try to get Leach.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Would  :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Leach.

But I think the first step is getting rid of OBZ which is not likely to happen.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
He'll never again seem so cheap and ripe for the plucking.

I don't think he'll make thru another off season of changes.  Even if he were to, someone one would at least give him a sniff and force us to up our offer.  

Leach could be our coach AND AT A rough ridin' BARGAIN TO BOOT!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »
leach is on record saying that he doesn't think that maryland seriously considered him. dunno.

Offline willie

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »
Threads like this make me real sad.  They give me hope that there might be like minded people that run our AD and could make something like this happen, but . . . sigh . . . it won't.

We'll trot Bill and his rejects out there for another season.

:frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »
This season is our only chance. It will not come again. eff you for hating Kansas State Bill....or, alternatively, eff you for being too old/ignorant/Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to see what you have done and are doing.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 04:50:13 PM »
Seriously, what is the update on the billboard?  I am in and willing to donate.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »

if your scale is a possible three katpaks then i agree. go cats. it is also an open invitation for anyone to argue pro snyder given our current situation that we are in. however, this is not twenty years ago and bill himself has publicly stated that he is just here to calm waters. they are now calm. very. we now have a new athletic director that everyone is fully behind and a new university president that everyone wholeheartedly supports. bill deserves our thanks and undying gratitude for coming out of retirement to do what he did. we named the stadium after him and would do it again. now is the time to move on though and leach should be the target and we should hire him. done deal.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:03:11 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »

Sort of what I'm thinking.

But I'll eventually come around because discussing coaches is my favorite thing to do in life.  :grin:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 04:59:43 PM »

if your scale is a possible three katpaks then i agree. go cats. it is also an open invitation for anyone to argue pro snyder given our current situation that we are in. i mean, this is not twenty years ago and bill himself has publicly stated that he is just here to calm waters. they are calm. very. and bill deserves our thanks and undying gratitude for coming out of retirement to do what he did. now is the time to move on though and leach should be the target and we should go after him in full on attack mode.

It was 2.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 05:02:50 PM »
If you stop and think about it, Leach is the perfect fit for K-State.

Once he's won over the Shirt Tucks and the "(Insert Coach Name here) says and does is fine by me" crowd . . . he'll essentially have a lifetime job at K-State.   He'll be able to stuff millions of dollars in his pocket . . . and we'll all have a lot of fun to boot.

The problem is getting past the Shirt Tucks who never get the Pirates brand of sarcasm and wit.