Author Topic: the argument for mike leach right now  (Read 79736 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: the argument for mike leach right now
« Reply #350 on: January 10, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »
ummm, i don't think oscar has that high of a floor.  he missed the tourney 3 of the last 5 years at Ill, and about to be 3 of the last 6 at K-State

Exactly.  A Leach basketball equivalent would be in the tournament every year.

Its easier to make a bowl game than make the NCAA tournament. Lets say that a 7-5 regular season record is equivalent to what it would take to make the NCAA tournament. 

If that is the case Leach would of "Missed" the tourney 4 of his 8 years at Wazzu

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2020, 09:58:50 AM »
ummm, i don't think oscar has that high of a floor.  he missed the tourney 3 of the last 5 years at Ill, and about to be 3 of the last 6 at K-State

Exactly.  A Leach basketball equivalent would be in the tournament every year.

Its easier to make a bowl game than make the NCAA tournament. Lets say that a 7-5 regular season record is equivalent to what it would take to make the NCAA tournament. 

If that is the case Leach would of "Missed" the tourney 4 of his 8 years at Wazzu

Fine, but I don't fault him for building the crap program he took over those first three years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 10, 2020, 11:17:18 AM »
Leach's offense will be baffling to the offensively conservative SEC.  I initially thought he was heading to a program that couldn't get traction in a conference with Alabama and LSU, but then remembered that Mississippi State was ranked #1 a few years ago.  My biggest concern is for Leach, and the lack of patience that Mississippi State has for their football coaches.  This is like their 3rd head coach hire in the past 5 years.

To the first point, I think that offense will not be successful in the SEC before, it's not like it hasn't been tried before, it's not like he hasn't tried it before. SEC defenses are generally good because they have the best defensive talent. It's completely different than getting fat off of a mediocre Big 12, which that era was, and a historically awful Pac 12.

As to the second point, Mississippi State talent and how "close" they've been, I'll respond the same as I would those who are talking about how "close" Leach was at Washington State, once. It doesn't mean anything, anything at all. I'm being serious when I say this but in the BCS/CFP era, the only programs I can think of that weren't close in at least one season are Kentucky and Vandy. Think of all of the other worst programs of this era; KU, Rutgers, Illinois, Colorado, Wake, Georgia Tech, whomever they all had a close year. That's a crutch to dumb down accomplishments, neither Mississippi State nor Leach has shown any ability to sustain the type of success that would allow that hire to make sense.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 10, 2020, 11:31:05 AM »
lol. Or one out of the last 4, but spin it how ever you want to. In the last 4 seasons he has an elite 8 run, a big 12 ship, and the GOAT recruiting class coming in. Sorry he has to replace 3 of the top 15 all time scorers at K-State this year. Winning is entertaining. oscar Weber has entertained me very much.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 10, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »
Iowa state still waiting for their close season  :crossfingers:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2020, 12:00:24 PM »
lol. Or one out of the last 4, but spin it how ever you want to. In the last 4 seasons he has an elite 8 run, a big 12 ship, and the GOAT recruiting class coming in. Sorry he has to replace 3 of the top 15 all time scorers at K-State this year. Winning is entertaining. oscar Weber has entertained me very much.

relax bud, it's friday.

no doubt some fun times, is odd he follows up championship seasons with complete flops. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2020, 12:01:14 PM »
Iowa state still waiting for their close season  :crossfingers:

Oh man, lol. How in the hell did I forget them.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2020, 01:09:40 PM »

relax bud, it's friday.

no doubt some fun times, is odd he follows up championship seasons with complete flops.
:cheers:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2020, 03:32:17 PM »
Leach will be much happier culturally in racistville than the backwoods of cool kids
Dude's a Trumper. And IMO Eastern Washington is more racist than Mississippi. Like Western Idaho is Nazi militia headquarters.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 11, 2020, 11:56:50 AM »
Leach will be much happier culturally in racistville than the backwoods of cool kids
Dude's a Trumper. And IMO Eastern Washington is more racist than Mississippi. Like Western Idaho is Nazi militia headquarters.
Yes, but Eastern Washington is in Cool Kids and Mississippi State is in Racistville
:adios:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 13, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »
Leach's offense will be baffling to the offensively conservative SEC.  I initially thought he was heading to a program that couldn't get traction in a conference with Alabama and LSU, but then remembered that Mississippi State was ranked #1 a few years ago.  My biggest concern is for Leach, and the lack of patience that Mississippi State has for their football coaches.  This is like their 3rd head coach hire in the past 5 years.

To the first point, I think that offense will not be successful in the SEC before, it's not like it hasn't been tried before, it's not like he hasn't tried it before. SEC defenses are generally good because they have the best defensive talent. It's completely different than getting fat off of a mediocre Big 12, which that era was, and a historically awful Pac 12.

As to the second point, Mississippi State talent and how "close" they've been, I'll respond the same as I would those who are talking about how "close" Leach was at Washington State, once. It doesn't mean anything, anything at all. I'm being serious when I say this but in the BCS/CFP era, the only programs I can think of that weren't close in at least one season are Kentucky and Vandy. Think of all of the other worst programs of this era; KU, Rutgers, Illinois, Colorado, Wake, Georgia Tech, whomever they all had a close year. That's a crutch to dumb down accomplishments, neither Mississippi State nor Leach has shown any ability to sustain the type of success that would allow that hire to make sense.

I guess it just sort of depends on how liberal you want to be with what "close" is. I can think of quite a few programs that I don't think have been close, but I also don't really think WSU has ever really been all that close to a playoff berth under Leach.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 13, 2020, 10:38:37 AM »
I’d call 1-2 games away as being close to a playoff berth, and I’m pretty sure Wazzu has been there.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 13, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »

I guess it just sort of depends on how liberal you want to be with what "close" is. I can think of quite a few programs that I don't think have been close, but I also don't really think WSU has ever really been all that close to a playoff berth under Leach.

I agree with you, I was using the loose definition of close that those who are building the leach narrative are. He's a good coach, there aren't very many of them, he isn't good enough to win at Mississippi State, as the sec is currently constituted.

One thing about Mississippi State and the sec that I'm not sure people consider enough, is that the coach who won there is still in the conference, at a school that is easier to win at. In theory that makes Mississippi State an even harder job to win at than it was when Mullen was there.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 13, 2020, 11:30:51 AM »
I’d call 1-2 games away as being close to a playoff berth, and I’m pretty sure Wazzu has been there.

In college football? Not really. As Make it Rain said, just about every program has been there in recent history under that criteria. You aren't almost in the playoffs if the only reason you missed them was losing to a team you were a 10+ point underdog to. They also would have had to beat heavy odds to win a championship game.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 13, 2020, 12:27:43 PM »
Well I guess I would revise my criteria to be a top 10 ranking AND 1-2 games away.

Sure a lot of coaches fit that description, but there are a lot of good coaches. For the programs that aren’t consistent contenders it ultimately is a matter of luck. More than anything it’s just an indication that a single CFP appearance is not an indication of an elite coach.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 28, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 11, 2020, 10:06:25 AM »
The bad wagon appears to be upended. 

"We're going to have to check some of our group and figure out who really wants to play here," Leach said after the Kentucky loss, "because any malcontents, we're going to have to purge a couple of those."

And now that it's clear that LSU obviously sucks, they've got nothing to hang their hat on at MSU.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30088846/mississippi-state-bulldogs-need-purge-malcontents-mike-leach-says-loss

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 11, 2020, 10:16:08 AM »
The bad wagon appears to be upended. 

"We're going to have to check some of our group and figure out who really wants to play here," Leach said after the Kentucky loss, "because any malcontents, we're going to have to purge a couple of those."

And now that it's clear that LSU obviously sucks, they've got nothing to hang their hat on at MSU.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30088846/mississippi-state-bulldogs-need-purge-malcontents-mike-leach-says-loss
He's a bad person

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 11, 2020, 10:19:29 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I want him to be a good person, because I frequently find him amusing and I LOVE air raid style offense.  He's not though.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 11, 2020, 03:19:03 PM »
Said the same thing at TTU & WSU.  No surprise he's a big baby bully and blames loses on the team.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 13, 2021, 11:06:01 AM »
 :dunno: I don't get it. Is this one of those completely mundane things that's supposed to be funny or insightful because the wacky football coach said it?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 13, 2021, 11:09:05 AM »
To me, the remarkable thing about it is how unremarkable it is. Why would Leach post this to his Twitter?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 13, 2021, 11:14:39 AM »
It's just so wacky and quirky, it fits the brand :rollseyes:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 13, 2021, 11:19:51 AM »
I applaud him for not backing down from telling the truth no matter how boring it is.