Author Topic: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD  (Read 182091 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
So, today, I pulled out a Denis Clemente runner at the Y.  NAILED IT!   :bball:

My teammates looked like they wanted to kill me until it went in.   :opcat:

Also, some guys were shooting on one end while the game was on the other, when a fast break started.  They were out of the way, but still on the court, and the guy running the break just stopped and pouted.  A big douchey guy was all like, "get the f*ck off the court!", and I was just  :bwpopcorn: while taking shots on the other end.  Thoughts on shooting while a game is going on?  :dunno:

I will share stories from my pickup basketball adventures, and post them here.  Please feel free to post yours here, as well, as well as asking Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) questions like, "do you guys take charges at pickup games?"

Thanks!

ps.  Also, saw a guy in a full biking suit (one of those with ads and everything) on a stationary bike.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:12:59 PM »
ps.  Also, saw a guy in a full biking suit (one of those with ads and everything) on a stationary bike.

These guys haul ass round the trail by the lake near our house.  Mrs. dave and I will be walking side by side and they will come tearing around a corner and scream, "SINGLE FILE!" to us and I always just continue to walk side by side making them go off the trail and get their bikes muddy.  Have been waiting for one to slam into me so I can pick up their probably super expensive bike and chuck it into the lake.  I always move over quickly for the polite bike people or the ones with the bells (ADORABLE!). 

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:15:28 PM »
played in a game last week with some dude that wore rec-specs. with sweatpants. he was terrible.

:users:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:22:50 PM »
simple rule about shooting on the other end of the court during a game.  don't do it if you're so slow/unathletic that you can't get the ball and your fat ass of the court before the fast break comes back to the end you're shooting on.  otherwise it's a perfectly acceptable use of resources.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »
I once tried a head fake that ended with a :lol: by everyone on the court and me losing the ball.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:25:05 PM »
Totally in favor of shooting at the opposite end from where the game is going on, as long as you are paying attention so you can get out of the way without interfering.

Question for you MICat:  How does pick-up b-ball in MI compare to Kansas pick-up b-ball?  My experience is that outside of Kansas, unless you go to a place where you are likely to get mugged or murdered, the guys are really bad at basketall, even if they are fairly athletic.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
claxy, there's some good spots in kc that don't require kevlar

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 02:33:14 PM »

where do the kc ballers play? bet i've dropped 30 on some of you before.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 02:34:57 PM »
simple rule about shooting on the other end of the court during a game.  don't do it if you're so slow/unathletic that you can't get the ball and your fat ass of the court before the fast break comes back to the end you're shooting on.  otherwise it's a perfectly acceptable use of resources.

Usually the slow/unathletic ones are the ones too stupid to understand the rule.  

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
Unfortunately, I live in Houston.  ZERO good spots that are safe, especially for old guys like me.

Decent gym at work, but lots of really bad basketball players.  Some decent athletes (as far as 25 to 45 yr old white guys go), but have obviously never played before.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »

i bet you have not.

Unfortunately, I live in Houston.  ZERO good spots that are safe, especially for old guys like me.

Decent gym at work, but lots of really bad basketball players.  Some decent athletes (as far as 25 to 45 yr old white guys go), but have obviously never played before.
that's Houston for you, murder capital of the world   :blank:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »
ps.  Also, saw a guy in a full biking suit (one of those with ads and everything) on a stationary bike.

These guys haul ass round the trail by the lake near our house.  Mrs. dave and I will be walking side by side and they will come tearing around a corner and scream, "SINGLE FILE!" to us and I always just continue to walk side by side making them go off the trail and get their bikes muddy.  Have been waiting for one to slam into me so I can pick up their probably super expensive bike and chuck it into the lake.  I always move over quickly for the polite bike people or the ones with the bells (ADORABLE!).  

As someone who rides to work in blue jeans on a cheap Trek, I can say that this type of bike rider is the biggest sports douche on the planet, only rivaled by "takes kickball seriously guy".

Question for you MICat:  How does pick-up b-ball in MI compare to Kansas pick-up b-ball?  My experience is that outside of Kansas, unless you go to a place where you are likely to get mugged or murdered, the guys are really bad at basketall, even if they are fairly athletic.

No difference.  A place like the KSU rec will be better than most places you go, but once you get away from there, MI pickup ball is about the same as KS.  It's a mixed bag - there's a few guys that can really play, some real athletic guys that can't, and just about everyone else is at least compotent.  It's rare to see someone that flat out can't dribble or anything (at least where I play).

simple rule about shooting on the other end of the court during a game.  don't do it if you're so slow/unathletic that you can't get the ball and your fat ass of the court before the fast break comes back to the end you're shooting on.  otherwise it's a perfectly acceptable use of resources.

Usually the slow/unathletic ones are the ones too stupid to understand the rule.  

In this case, the guy was not slow or anything - he just wasn't really hustling off because he wasn't in anyone's way.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »
I used to be fairly decent. Now, I'm pudgy and out of shape (can't jump/run). Currently losing weight though. Need to lose 'bout 30 pounds before I could clown the majority of goemawers.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 02:48:11 PM »
I used to be fairly decent. Now, I'm pudgy and out of shape (can't jump/run). Currently losing weight though. Need to lose 'bout 30 pounds before I could clown the majority of goemawers.

See p90X thread...
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »
i bet you have not.

:cool:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 02:52:11 PM »
In my experience, the really good players never got upset about people shooting at the opposite end.  From that, I concluded that only d-bags got upset over it.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »
I remember when I used to be able to dribble with my left hand.  Seems like years ago now.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 02:54:34 PM »

See p90X thread...
I'm working out. So far so good. But still a ways to go.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 02:57:04 PM »

No difference.  A place like the KSU rec will be better than most places you go, but once you get away from there, MI pickup ball is about the same as KS.  It's a mixed bag - there's a few guys that can really play, some real athletic guys that can't, and just about everyone else is at least compotent.  It's rare to see someone that flat out can't dribble or anything (at least where I play).

Yeah, any college rec center is an a completely different category.  I was in Kansas for a while after leaving KSU, and could always find really good pick up games.  My theory is that if a guy grew up in Kansas, and is playing b-ball after the age of 25, he probably was at least on the team in high school, so has decent skills and knows some basic basketball concepts.  Houston, not so much.  Lots of decent white athletes that couldn't make the team after 4th grade, so never played and are clueless when they try.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »
Yeah, any college rec center is an a completely different category.  I was in Kansas for a while after leaving KSU, and could always find really good pick up games.  My theory is that if a guy grew up in Kansas, and is playing b-ball after the age of 25, he probably was at least on the team in high school, so has decent skills and knows some basic basketball concepts.  Houston, not so much.  Lots of decent white athletes that couldn't make the team after 4th grade, so never played and are clueless when they try.

I would assume this is a matter of not finding the right game.  There are bad pick up games everywhere. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »

No difference.  A place like the KSU rec will be better than most places you go, but once you get away from there, MI pickup ball is about the same as KS.  It's a mixed bag - there's a few guys that can really play, some real athletic guys that can't, and just about everyone else is at least compotent.  It's rare to see someone that flat out can't dribble or anything (at least where I play).

Yeah, any college rec center is an a completely different category.  I was in Kansas for a while after leaving KSU, and could always find really good pick up games.  My theory is that if a guy grew up in Kansas, and is playing b-ball after the age of 25, he probably was at least on the team in high school, so has decent skills and knows some basic basketball concepts.  Houston, not so much.  Lots of decent white athletes that couldn't make the team after 4th grade, so never played and are clueless when they try.

Yeah, I would guess the quality of a Kansas pickup ball is probably slightly elevated because there are so many tiny high schools for kids to play for a long time - I've heard of people that attended school elsewhere, and said rec sports were better at KSU than places back east.  But I pretty much think you just need to find the right game.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 03:53:13 PM »
Nothing better than the barn over the noon hour :block:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »
I like it when guys shoot on the other end.  Nice to have someone to talk to while I'm cherry picking.

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »
Anyone else play with the guy that drives to the basket, is clearly fouled, but uses the "offense calls fouls" rule to grab the loose ball, even though everyone else has stopped playing because of the obvious foul, and then score?  Of course, if he can't get the loose ball, he calls the foul.   :curse:

After he does that, I make sure to foul him hard enough that the play ends with the foul.  Of course, that pisses him off, too.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 05:48:26 PM »
Anyone else play with the guy that drives to the basket, is clearly fouled, but uses the "offense calls fouls" rule to grab the loose ball, even though everyone else has stopped playing because of the obvious foul, and then score?  Of course, if he can't get the loose ball, he calls the foul.   :curse:

After he does that, I make sure to foul him hard enough that the play ends with the foul.  Of course, that pisses him off, too.

never assume a dead ball.