Author Topic: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD  (Read 186433 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #475 on: December 20, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »
One time at a pickup game back in Michigan a guy got pissed at me for not "guarding my man" and just standing in the paint. He probably could have called defensive 3 on me.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 20, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
i envision every player on the floor with you looking exactly like Carl from adult swim.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben_dover919

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 20, 2011, 04:25:04 PM »
or a 3 seconds

not the same but i was an intramural ref at the rec and the other ref called a defensive 3 seconds..he then made it even worse by calling a technical when the team argued the call. If you were at KSU from 05-10 I bet you can guess which ref it was.

F that guy man, F him in the A. He plays at lifetime fitness now by the way, saw him get a tooth knocked out last year and it secretly made me happy.

Actually man your talking about me....good to know you werent my biggest fan. I may have been bad but I never was dumb enough to call defensive 3 seconds. It was mark Nelson the big black guy who I hope I was better than. Next time your lifetime come holla at me and we can work out whatever issues you have with me.

Offline ben_dover919

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 20, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »
defensive 3 seconds is an intramural rule? WTF?
Yea he said he saw in the NBA and thought it was a rule everywhere.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 20, 2011, 04:29:46 PM »
or a 3 seconds

not the same but i was an intramural ref at the rec and the other ref called a defensive 3 seconds..he then made it even worse by calling a technical when the team argued the call. If you were at KSU from 05-10 I bet you can guess which ref it was.

F that guy man, F him in the A. He plays at lifetime fitness now by the way, saw him get a tooth knocked out last year and it secretly made me happy.

Actually man your talking about me....good to know you werent my biggest fan. I may have been bad but I never was dumb enough to call defensive 3 seconds. It was mark Nelson the big black guy who I hope I was better than. Next time your lifetime come holla at me and we can work out whatever issues you have with me.

:popcorn:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 21, 2011, 10:23:39 PM »
So apparently this game has a rule that jump balls just go to whomever says "first" after the tie up. Today I was juggling a pass, this guy got one hand on it and yelled "first!" right before I took it away. He got a lot of crap for it.

Also, today there was this girl who played D1 last year. I had to guard her. And she schooled me a couple times off the dribble (bad ankles are my excuse). And then I would go up for a rebound and she would just grab my arm to keep it away from the ball. In the post, she did nothing but grab and push and shove. I didn't call fouls when I didn't have the ball. Was not much fun. :blank:
:blank:

Offline ben_dover919

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 23, 2011, 03:51:32 AM »
So apparently this game has a rule that jump balls just go to whomever says "first" after the tie up. Today I was juggling a pass, this guy got one hand on it and yelled "first!" right before I took it away. He got a lot of crap for it.

Also, today there was this girl who played D1 last year. I had to guard her. And she schooled me a couple times off the dribble (bad ankles are my excuse). And then I would go up for a rebound and she would just grab my arm to keep it away from the ball. In the post, she did nothing but grab and push and shove. I didn't call fouls when I didn't have the ball. Was not much fun. :blank:
:blank:

D-1 girls are the worst, because in head your thinking okay she is a D-1 athlete she should be schooling me, but in your heart your like GTFO this is a girl.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 23, 2011, 09:24:04 AM »
or a 3 seconds

:popcorn:

Ben Fight!!!!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 23, 2011, 09:25:26 AM »
Also, played bball the last two days.  Wed was a 3 on 3 halfcourt job. Yesterday was 5on 5 fullcourt. sheesh, talk about a lot of running.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 23, 2011, 06:58:10 PM »
or a 3 seconds

Way to try and throw mark nelson under the bus to cover up for your poor officiating. Poor mark, T&P's go out to him.

Offline ben_dover919

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 23, 2011, 10:53:16 PM »
or a 3 seconds

This isn't worth arguing about but why then did i do the all u championship game while mark was doing the first round of the women's playoffs. But hey if you want to be continue to be a douche that is your prerogative. Just tell me to my face and not over an internet message board.

Way to try and throw mark nelson under the bus to cover up for your poor officiating. Poor mark, T&P's go out to him.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 23, 2011, 11:47:26 PM »
Also, played bball the last two days.  Wed was a 3 on 3 halfcourt job. Yesterday was 5on 5 fullcourt. sheesh, talk about a lot of running.

I've played a few 3v3 full court games at the Washburn Rec. :)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 24, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »
or a 3 seconds

This isn't worth arguing about but why then did i do the all u championship game while mark was doing the first round of the women's playoffs. But hey if you want to be continue to be a douche that is your prerogative. Just tell me to my face and not over an internet message board.

FYQ

Confirmo that big mark, although he seems like a nice guy, is a bad ref.  There are tons of refs that are awful, but at $7/hour you can't expect much.
:adios:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 26, 2011, 10:14:09 PM »
I can't fathom playing basketball with strangers.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 26, 2011, 10:55:33 PM »

Wasn't michcat the guy that started the "small talk at work" thread on the old site? Can't remember. If so, seems odd to be uncomfortable with small talk with coworkers but comfortable playing basketball with strangers.

My favorite part is the awkwardness of manning up at the start of the game, when you have to say I have "such-and-such guy."  :love: watching people fumble around with this when the most salient characteristic of the person they're talking about is something deemed inappropriate to say about some dude they don't know.  I think this is mostly a white thing (not exclusively of the midwestern variety). The old black dudes at the gym here are marvelously direct. "I got the old bald dude" and "I got JV shoes over here."
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 26, 2011, 10:57:59 PM »

Wasn't michcat the guy that started the "small talk at work" thread on the old site? Can't remember. If so, seems odd to be uncomfortable with small talk with coworkers but comfortable playing basketball with strangers.

My favorite part is the awkwardness of manning up at the start of the game, when you have to say I have "such-and-such guy."  :love: watching people fumble around with this when the most salient characteristic of the person they're talking about is something deemed inappropriate to say about some dude they don't know.  I think this is mostly a white thing (not exclusively of the midwestern variety). The old black dudes at the gym here are marvelously direct. "I got the old bald dude" and "I got JV shoes over here."
:lol:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 26, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »
I was always the best player on the floor so I always covered/was covered by the opposing tesm's best player.  Wasn't uncomfortable at all locking down the 2nd best player out there, was pretty fun walking up and telling him that his rec league all-star career was over for the day.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 27, 2011, 04:29:52 AM »
I was always the best player on the floor so I always covered/was covered by the opposing tesm's best player.  Wasn't uncomfortable at all locking down the 2nd best player out there, was pretty fun walking up and telling him that his rec league all-star career was over for the day.
congrats on being tall, do you wear a polo to play in lmao

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 27, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »

When I got all out of shape for a year or so, I always appreciated that unspoken bond, almost telepathic, between the two fat guys on the court. We didn't need words or even pointing. I knew I had him and he knew he had me. And there was comfort in that.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 27, 2011, 09:20:37 AM »

That was me. It wasn't necessarily about "small talk", it was about "conversations" with a 10 second window. And pickup games have strangers all the time. It really isn't weird at all.

My current game is at 6:00 am weekdays and has a very regular crowd and a lot of guys that have been playing for 15+ years. They organized a lunch and happy hour for the holidays and stuff. Everyone introduced themselves, their job, and their basketball highlight of the year. It was only a little awkward, (and got less awkward as the beer kept coming) but 90% of players aren't strangers any more. It was a lot of fun to see how different people's on-court and off-court personalities can be.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 27, 2011, 10:16:07 AM »

That was me. It wasn't necessarily about "small talk", it was about "conversations" with a 10 second window. And pickup games have strangers all the time. It really isn't weird at all.

My current game is at 6:00 am weekdays and has a very regular crowd and a lot of guys that have been playing for 15+ years. They organized a lunch and happy hour for the holidays and stuff. Everyone introduced themselves, their job, and their basketball highlight of the year. It was only a little awkward, (and got less awkward as the beer kept coming) but 90% of players aren't strangers any more. It was a lot of fun to see how different people's on-court and off-court personalities can be.

This is very true. There's a super quiet, almost timid guy at my gym who is a big civil rights leader/organizer. He NEVER calls a foul. I find that hilarious.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 27, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
I was always the best player on the floor so I always covered/was covered by the opposing tesm's best player.  Wasn't uncomfortable at all locking down the 2nd best player out there, was pretty fun walking up and telling him that his rec league all-star career was over for the day.
congrats on being tall, do you wear a polo to play in lmao

tall = elite?
interesting.  jason bennett would be appreciative of this news.  idiot.  :flush:

go eff yourself, you're nothing but a has been.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 27, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »

go eff yourself, you're nothing but a has been.
  :blush:
clams misses me

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #498 on: January 22, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
So I'm visiting family in SoCal and went to a local park. A group of six guys show up at the basketball courts at the same time (with a couple basketballs). What did they start playing?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #499 on: January 22, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »
So I'm visiting family in SoCal and went to a local park. A group of six guys show up at the basketball courts at the same time (with a couple basketballs). What did they start playing?

If you guessed knockout you were correct.