Author Topic: 2013 Recruiting Thread  (Read 980781 times)

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1800 on: August 28, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »
Rivals updates Top 150

79. D. Jones
83. Agau
85. Mathews
110. Henry
121. D. Smith
134. Martin
140. Parrish

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2752

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 28, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
Underdog would you rather have Foster or Mathews?

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 28, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »

Ah, there it is, the big one. Let me 1st just say that if either one wanted to commit tonight, I would take it without hesitation and not look back.

But since you asked, rare is the day I would turn away a Rivals 4*, but I would go with Foster. I just think he might be bring a little more athleticism and physicality while still possessing a high skill level.

I like what I've read and briefly seen on Mathews, but if he were an absolute impact prospect, then why hasn't UCLA even given him a sniff(where his Dad coaches)?

Marquette has also offered both of these guys, which is pretty interesting considering that they're thought to be in real good shape with consensus Top 50 SG Kendrick Nunn. Buzz loves him some guards and he's usually pretty damn good at picking which ones can play.

This may be 1 of those posts that is worthy of a laughable bump in a couple years, but I've been driving the Foster bandwagon for a while now, I'll stick with him. I'd take Foster.

Offline FranklyFrankYou

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 28, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »
Any chance we take both? Like Foster as a combo and Matthews as a true 2? Also what are your thoughts on Westicles? Is he our #1 target on the wing?

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 28, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
Any chance we take both? Like Foster as a combo and Matthews as a true 2? Also what are your thoughts on Westicles? Is he our #1 target on the wing?

Man, as far as taking both Foster and Mathews(should we be lucky enough to be in that position) I've been tossing that around in my head in the past day, and while it might be slightly redundant, I don't think it's a half bad idea. Honestly, out all of the players it looks like we're in the running for in this class regardless of position, those 2 would be at the top of my list. Get players in your program who can get buckets and I think both of those guys could be able to do that at a high level.

One issue with that is, we'd be sacrificing some size and defensive versatility by not adding another taller wing such as Westicles, Carroll, Alvin Ellis, Chris Griffin, or Brandon Parrish(whose status with KSU is a bit murky right now). Then if we take the 2 combos and 1 more traditional wing(along with Etherington) we wouldn't have room take a big in this class Atewe, whose recruitment has started to take off and it sounds like we're pretty high on him(visiting 9/14 weekend).

Another problem, would be not having a high level ballhandler/playmaker to set things up and get the ball to our wings(and bigs hopefully) in a position to score. It does appear that a high level playmaker is a top priority for '14(offers to Custer, Nairn, Joseph, Austin, Collier, and Lyle) but landing 1 of those PG's is much easier said than done.

I wouldn't think Westicles is our #1 target on the wing, I did get a chance to watch him play once this summer and I thought he looked like a serviceable prospect who may not have the greatest offensive game right now but could bring a lot of energy and activity to both ends of the floor. I've heard he's a very bright kid(not that any of these other prospects are not) and would probably be able to pick up all the X's and O's and schemes quickly.

If I had to rank the wings on our board right now, I'd go with:
1. Ellis - but no visit set up here yet!
2. Carroll - a very close 2nd, may help us landing Foster, which might give him the edge
3. Westicles
4. Griffin
5. Parrish - I would have ranked him a lot higher a week ago, but recent happenings/updates has adjusted my thinking here.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »

Ah, there it is, the big one. Let me 1st just say that if either one wanted to commit tonight, I would take it without hesitation and not look back.

But since you asked, rare is the day I would turn away a Rivals 4*, but I would go with Foster. I just think he might be bring a little more athleticism and physicality while still possessing a high skill level.

I like what I've read and briefly seen on Mathews, but if he were an absolute impact prospect, then why hasn't UCLA even given him a sniff(where his Dad coaches)?

Marquette has also offered both of these guys, which is pretty interesting considering that they're thought to be in real good shape with consensus Top 50 SG Kendrick Nunn. Buzz loves him some guards and he's usually pretty damn good at picking which ones can play.

This may be 1 of those posts that is worthy of a laughable bump in a couple years, but I've been driving the Foster bandwagon for a while now, I'll stick with him. I'd take Foster.

Agree, with you on with Foster his ability to bang and be strong with the ball intrigues me and it sounds like he doesn't shy away from the big moments. 

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 29, 2012, 08:19:56 AM »
4 visits in the next few weeks. If Weber could bat .500 I'd be pretty pleased.
He can't.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 29, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
4 visits in the next few weeks. If Weber could bat .500 I'd be pretty pleased.
He can't.

We've actually got 5 visits(that we're aware of) in the next 3 weeks, Matt Atewe is visiting weekend of 9/14.

It's a good setup, our staff will have a great opportunity to establish a solid class.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 29, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
Well, Fresno St. reportedly offered this kid, they've been doing pretty well on the recruiting trail. Eustachy offered him, I mean you can't scoff at a Eustachy offer can you?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansasstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Ray-Barreno-121968

From TX GASO 4/30:
"Ray Barreno
2013 Center
6-foot-10
El Paso Faith Christian/Latinos Select
Few players throughout the tournament attracted the crowd of Division I coaches as Barreno did for each game. Barreno is a big-bodied post man who has nice touch within 10 feet. He could be a major asset for a program looking for a player to be that anchor in the paint."

Big Ray commits to Tulane. Good for him.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2012/08/visit_to_new_orleans_on_the_ev.html

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 29, 2012, 10:45:44 AM »
What is a reasonable expectation for Weber.  Serious here, not baiting.  What would a reasonable objective observer expect Weber to land with these visits, etc. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 29, 2012, 10:47:35 AM »
What is a reasonable expectation for Weber.  Serious here, not baiting.  What would a reasonable objective observer expect Weber to land with these visits, etc. 

What are your thoughts on the subject, Pete?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 29, 2012, 10:49:35 AM »

Seems like most of these guys have several visits / schools interested, so really wouldn't 1 commit be a reasonable expectation, with 2 out of 5 being really good?

disclaimer: LRIQ
:adios:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 29, 2012, 10:56:27 AM »

Seems like most of these guys have several visits / schools interested, so really wouldn't 1 commit be a reasonable expectation, with 2 out of 5 being really good?

disclaimer: LRIQ

I'd say 2/5 would be good.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 29, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »
I suggest assuming none will come here and we get a fringe 150 player in the spring and some guys no one else wanted.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 29, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »
I suggest assuming none will come here and we get a fringe 150 player in the spring and some guys no one else wanted.

i know you haven't been around much, but frank is gone and a competent recruiting staff is in place.  care to revise your rather pessimistic recruiting outlook?  i thought so. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: August 29, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »
Wait until November, when early signing period rolls around.

It would be great if we get 3 commits within the next month and have this class locked up. A lot of times though, recruiting just isn't that immediate and visceral.

I wouldn't even say that our remaining 3 commits MUST come from the 5 visitors we reportedly have lined up, nabbing 1 or 2 them would be alright. Landing none of them would be concerning.

Offline KsJoey

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 29, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »
Kellis with another article on Matt Atewe, confirming the visit on 9/14

http://blogs.kansas.com/kstated/2012/08/29/power-forward-matt-atewe-to-visit-k-state/

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: August 29, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »

i know you haven't been around much, but frank is gone and a competent recruiting staff is in place.  care to revise your rather pessimistic recruiting outlook?  i thought so.
No.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: August 29, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »
Kellis with another article on Matt Atewe, confirming the visit on 9/14

http://blogs.kansas.com/kstated/2012/08/29/power-forward-matt-atewe-to-visit-k-state/

Thanks KSJ  :thumbs:

Since Henry has clearly stated he wants to sign late and really hasn't set up any visits yet, it's tough to say where KSU stands right now in his recruitment but I would be happy if we can add Atewe at some point.  His game sounds similar to DJamer(who the early returns have been very positive for) except Atewe is reportedly about 1 to 2 inches taller.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 29, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »
I say two should be the bench mark. 

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: August 29, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »
Does that mean we can #BiD if we get less than 2?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 29, 2012, 01:57:47 PM »

no, if he doesn't do well at recruiting, you ignore it and shift your focus elsewhere

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 29, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »

no, if he doesn't do well at recruiting, you ignore it and shift your focus elsewhere
Like on the fire?  That is burning it down?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 29, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »
no, just be focus on, and be happy with, all of his off the court antics, whatever they may be

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 29, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
DeAnte' Mitchell
Kansas State is the latest program to show interest in the Rock School (FL) center Joel Embiid '13

7'1" yes please  :gocho:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/165611/joel-embid