Author Topic: Term limits  (Read 1233 times)

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Term limits
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
For or against?  I'm intrigued by this proposition because almost everyone I know thinks there should be term limits, but at the same time, almost everyone I know votes for the same people every cycle.  I'm not talking vote republican, then democrat, etc..  I'm talking about voting for a new R or D in the primary.  It's one of those oddities where, as voters, we have the ability to impose term limits(which judging by polls is what the majority of Americans want) even if not mandated by law, but we rarely do.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Term limits
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:43:06 AM »
Yes to term limits and make the terms longer. So many people in Congress (especially the House) spend like 90% of their time just trying to get reelected.  The reason people keep voting for the same candidate is because of the (R) or (D) next to their name. At least we can get some new faces next to those letters.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »
Why would you want term limits?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »
I always vacillate between the argument of voting someone out for doing a bad job is a good as term limit, and the reward of doing a good job is to keep doing the job, and just straight up having term limits to help the process along of getting new people a fresh ideas and hopefully cut down on corruption. Both are positives and negatives.

That being said, I think the time has come to put two big changes in to help hopefully fix a lot of the representative and voting issues we see today when it comes to the legislature.

-I would be in favor of term limits both senators and reps, but I'd still keep it like 4 for reps, and 3 for senators. But I'd also increase the term for reps from 2 to 4 years, I think their constant campaign mode puts them at too much in the mindset of needing to make money to campaign, and not enough time actually lawmaking. I know it's supposed to be a short term to keep them pegged to their constituents, but I feel really all it ends up doing is said campaigning, not lawmaking. I would however like the prez to always have to face a new house every term, so make all 4 year rep elections during the mid presidential term. So 2018, 2022, 2026, etc. Senator terms at 6 I think are ideal.

-I am convinced beyond being able to be unconvinced we need to get rid of tons of districts and go more towards super districts of 4-7 reps per district, and use STV (single transferable vote) to decide the reps per state. This would really I think do 3 important things.

1. Reduce gerrymandering, you can't gerrymander Kansas, and ton of other states for example, the entire state votes for it's 4 reps at the same time. Missouri would only be 2 districts, California would be anywhere from 8-14. Much harder to exclude people in these super districts.

2. Third parties would have a much higher chance of getting reps, since they would only need to bet 25%+ vote for one candidate for example in KS to get let's say a libertarian candidate to congress.

3. People are more likely to get at least one rep they are comfortable with calling to get an issue through. Using KS as an example again, democrats easily could get at least 1 rep voted into congress, where under the current system it would be nearly impossible. The same works for certain places in Cali, where republicans are shutout. Essentially, it helps guarantee more voices are more equitable heard, which isn't that what a democracy should be all about?

how this work here, also youtube has some fun videos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote

Do all that and remove the electoral college, which I've hated well before this 2016 election, and I'd be much, much happier with the system we got.

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 11:19:40 AM »
Not much of a fan of term limits. I would get reps 3years and senators 5 years though. Maybe open to 15year limits in either.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »
If nobody ever runs for reelection, it lessens other groups' (lobbyists, the parties, etc.) power over individual congressmen. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 12:15:49 PM »
If nobody ever runs for reelection, it lessens other groups' (lobbyists, the parties, etc.) power over individual congressmen. 

It also means you have crap tons of rookies like huleskamp gumming up the works 247/365
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:43:34 PM »

Would a congressman who can't be reelected care more about the needs of their constituents than one who is facing reelection?

Would a congressman who can't be reelected care more about their next career move than one who can be reelected?

:dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »
i'm just explaining the rationale

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »
i'm just explaining the rationale
There is no rationale in what you posted. It's just a statement.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 02:30:14 PM »

Would a congressman who can't be reelected care more about the needs of their constituents than one who is facing reelection?

Quite possibly this individual will probably be going back to live amongst his constituents and be a member of the community rather than maintaining a mailing address in Dodge City.

Would a congressman who can't be reelected care more about their next career move than one who can be reelected?

Hard to know, probably far less likely to be entrenched into the political machine and secure a lobbying gig to remain in their new hometown.

:dunno:

Ultimately the argument i have heard against term limitis is that new blood won't understand how to pull the levers of democracy efficiently.  Currently entrenched polticians are doing a god awful job so I am not sure how it could be worse.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 07:40:31 AM »
I've thought alot about this and I am against (after much contemplation). Elections need to be fixed then term limits won't be a problem

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 07:43:06 AM »
The biggest problem is winning parties manipulating districts to make their seats invincible.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »
Federally funded elections would go a long way to solving many of the same problems.

I'm not that concerned about "rookie politicians." People can come into Congress with plenty of state legislative experience, and part of the reason rookies have problems "adjusting" to Washington is because of roadblocks created by entrenched politicians. Plus most people aren't calling for term limits if like 4 or 6 years. More like 10-20.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
What if there was a "consecutive serving limit"? Like you can only serve for up to 10 years in a row in the same office, and then you have to take at least 1 term off. Then if the people want you back, they could elect you again after that term.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
What if there was a "consecutive serving limit"? Like you can only serve for up to 10 years in a row in the same office, and then you have to take at least 1 term off. Then if the people want you back, they could elect you again after that term.
Sounds great, but it's been done before.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 10:16:42 AM »
Sounds great, but it's been done before.

And what were the results?