Author Topic: General Observo's Manhattan, KS and K-State 8/10/2015  (Read 1205 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
General Observo's Manhattan, KS and K-State 8/10/2015
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:17:47 PM »
-It appears they've cleaned the limestone on West Stadium where the Purple Masque Theatre is in, and man it really looks great.   They did the same thing on McCain several years ago and it looks like a new building.   They really need to do that regularly on every building.   I just don't get why there's so much time in between cleaning the limestone on the buildings and why that isn't a point of emphasis.  Probably a budget thing. 

-Living roof, just not seeing it. 

-Campus-What a mess, but it'll be great when it's all done.   

-New Campus walk by power plant, engineering etc. etc. will be nice when complete.   

-Backside of Waters, Schellenberger (sp-??), Cardwell.   Wow, that's pure T ugly right there.   That area needs to be addressed from an aesthetics perspective ASAP.   

-Some campus landscaping/livescape is extremely nice.   Other needs some work but that was in areas near construction so maybe the focus is elsewhere. 

-New engineering addition has a unique, different look from an angular perspective.   Should see more on the same on the architecture addition.   

-Business building.  Is a family of sloths building that thing?

-I'm trying to figure out just how the new Geo-Sciences building is going to be slotted in between Engineering and Biology.   

-Foundation office park is going to be an interesting addition.   Hopefully the Kimball Ave. development really heightens the aesthetics of that end of campus.  Despite the building it needs it.   

-Vanier 2.0:  WOW

-NBAF:  Is this the end of the world?   It's going to have a certain forbidding modern Euro look from my perspective.  I mean, I picture the aerial shot from a Bond movie as we're about to meet the latest bad guy once this thing is done.   Only thing missing of course is that building tucked away somewhere in the Alps. 

-New practice fields.   Okay, they're growing the grass instead of laying sod?   Fascinating. 

-Aggieville:  Simply needs that final financial/aesthetics push into college entertainment district greatness. 

-Downtown:  Certainly much more moving and shaking, but the open advertised restaurant spaces are intriguing and little worrisome.  Overbuilt?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: General Observo's Manhattan, KS and K-State 8/10/2015
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:26:35 PM »
I drove through on Saturday and made a comment about West Stadium as well.  It looked really great.  It looks like they've updated windows, doors, etc.  Very attractive.

There was so much construction everywhere that I barely recognized the place.  It was just a giant construction zone.

Side note, I had never stayed at the Bluemont before this weekend, but I really liked it.  You couldn't beat the combination of quality, campus access, and access to Aggieville.  It was pretty awesome. 

I had never been to Colbert Hills before, but those I was with commented on how much construction was going on there as well.

We were just making comments about how you rarely see this amount of construction, per capita, nearly anywhere else.  There are amenities Manhattan has now that rival every city in Kansas outside of Wichita and KC.  The level of entertainment, restaurant, hotel, etc. in Manhattan is way better than Topeka, which is twice the size, and it's honestly better than anything I've seen in Lawrence in the last several years just due to how well the city is laid out.

Anyway, I hadn't been back in a couple of years, and it was pretty fantastic.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:30:06 PM »
You know I forgot to take a good look at the Bluemont. 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:39:09 PM »
pretty spot on dax.

with nbaf were you referring to the powerplant or have they started construction on the main building?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 11:50:45 PM »
PP

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »
The business building might be the slowest construction project manhattan has ever seen. Are students building this thing? It's like 2 dudes show up at 11am to pound a 30 pack of busch light and call it a day.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 04:42:37 PM »
The business building might be the slowest construction project manhattan has ever seen. Are students building this thing? It's like 2 dudes show up at 11am to pound a 30 pack of busch light and call it a day.
It's not scheduled to be finished for another year :dunno:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »
And the slowest Manhattan/K-State construction project is and always will be the parking garage.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 04:48:41 PM »
And the slowest Manhattan/K-State construction project is and always will be the parking garage.

foundation tho

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 05:15:41 PM »

I know the superintendent from that project and it was an absolute nightmare apparently.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »

K-18 really sucked.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 09:02:58 PM »
Thought I saw a pic of the east stadium for the welcome center and almost looked like they replaced the limestone, had scaffolding and stuff I think, cleaning it makes more sense tho

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 09:04:54 PM »

K-18 really sucked.
Great point. It feels like ages ago tho now that you can cruise at 70+ mph once you take exit 303.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 11:54:09 PM »

show up at 11am to pound a 30 pack of busch light and call it a day.

i sure as crap don't want to impede progress.  tossed a carton of winstons at the silt barrier on sunday

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 10:41:18 AM »
 :bwpopcorn:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.