Author Topic: No Chery-ty this time; Baylor ADV  (Read 1192 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
No Chery-ty this time; Baylor ADV
« on: January 17, 2015, 06:57:16 PM »

The wild ride that has been this year's version of K-State basketball featured another day of loops, twists, and turns. Somehow these Cats managed to pull this thing out and find themselves at 4-1 in the league. K-State seems to have overcome the bug of giving away close home games, they greatly reduced turnovers in the 2nd half, and they finally overcame Kenny Chery despite multiple stretches of ugly play.

Nino seems to have worked through his midseason funk and had one of his best games as a Cat. He shortcornered the Baylor zone all night and, got a few timely boards. Foster was solid with a few timely shots. Westicles didn't score a lot, but had some nice moments. The roller coaster ride of point guard play seemed to have cycled back to Nigel who hit a huge 3. Thomas was all over the map and mostly was a turnover machine with dreadful decision making. Gip had an up and down night, but ended up with a decent 9 and 6.

Once again a key was the changing fortunes of K-States defense, especially holding Baylor to 45.5% eFG% and only 40.6% on 2s. Meanwhile the Cats managed an impressive 54.3% on 2s against Baylor's long shot blocking zone while relying on oscar's assistketball motion offense.

Still a long way to go, but I'm impressed with the 4-1 start which seemed impossible just 2 weeks ago.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Re: No Chery-ty this time; Baylor ADV
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 07:15:05 PM »
Solid take as always.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 07:17:36 PM »
Its been talked about, but the adjustment of Westicles on Chery plus attacking/trapping ball screens (instead of going under) was a really good move. Plus the Cats were just fantastic on offense in the 2nd half against the Baylor zone.

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 07:37:58 PM »
I was busy outside today, but I'm looking forward to watching a big, big, big, big, big, BIG K-State win tonight!   :ksu:

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 07:40:21 PM »
Its been talked about, but the adjustment of Westicles on Chery plus attacking/trapping ball screens (instead of going under) was a really good move. Plus the Cats were just fantastic on offense in the 2nd half against the Baylor zone.

39 pts in one half? Dios mio.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 09:39:26 PM »
Cats had 8 TOs and 3-10 FG as they looked awful, falling behind 24-10.

But we only had 6 TOs, shot 60.6 eFG% and had 1.32 PPP the final 28 minutes

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »
Chery hurt us a ton in the 1st hf, but all the other Bears shot about 37% eFG and only 4-17 from 3pt.

Defense is slowly coming around. Last 4 games only allowing 42.8 eFG% and forcing almost 23% TO.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 10:51:59 PM »
I can't believe we won.  I resigned myself to a loss when Foster got his fourth.

I actually think that if bu is able to knock down a three during that possession where they had like four looks, that would've been the knockout punch.  We dodged multiple bullets there.

Great win, great day.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »
And if we didn't puss out and miss so many lay ups or get too cute around the hoop it could be been a blow out. But do you Steffy.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »
 :dunno:   :lol:

http://www.kstatesports.com/
Baylor game highlights 0:00-0:10