Author Topic: Ice  (Read 2988 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Ice
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »
You know how sometimes your ice cubes fuse together in your glass leading to a hilarious pour-crap-all-over-your-face moment? Or how that bag of ice in your freezer becomes one huge ice block, causing you to take an ice pick to it and accidentally poke a hole in your freezer? Well, that's a result of a process called sintering, and it's the same process used in industrial applications to mold metals, such as Tungsten, that have extremely high melting points without actually having to heat the material to said melting point.

boorrrrringggg
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 07:24:41 PM »
Having a stand alone ice maker is a great investment.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 07:26:29 PM »
i really like how ice gets porous or something after a while in a liquid and then you can chew it and it chews just right, not too hard and brittle like fresh ice.

chingon, please explain the science of ice textures.

YES!  My son loves ice and will wait until the ice is shrunken/softer then come over and grab it right out of an unattended glass.  Sometimes he will ask for ice.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 07:32:03 PM »
You know how sometimes your ice cubes fuse together in your glass leading to a hilarious pour-crap-all-over-your-face moment? Or how that bag of ice in your freezer becomes one huge ice block, causing you to take an ice pick to it and accidentally poke a hole in your freezer? Well, that's a result of a process called sintering, and it's the same process used in industrial applications to mold metals, such as Tungsten, that have extremely high melting points without actually having to heat the material to said melting point.

boorrrrringggg

more shakes. less science.

:D
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 08:05:14 PM »
My son loves ice and will wait until the ice is shrunken/softer then come over and grab it right out of an unattended glass.  Sometimes he will ask for ice.

your child may be a genius.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »
I always rinse off my ice before using it. The outer layer of ice collects odorants from the fridge and freezer.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »
I always rinse off my ice before using it. The outer layer of ice collects odorants from the fridge and freezer.

grandma's ice :blank:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 08:11:13 PM »

Still looking for a pun or some play on words here......

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »

i liked your post, spracne.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 08:14:55 PM »
Sintering is another Shakespeare dick joke. This guy has become predictable.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
Mrs. ksupamplemousse's dad owns a packaged ice company.
And almost everyone on this board has probably used it
:adios:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
This post did not get enough attention. I have so many questions:
How did he get into the ice business, are you heir to an ice kingdom, is it just a giant freezer and they put the ice into little bags, who wants to work in this giant freezer, does he own ice trucks, how do they make ice on an industrial level, do they have a super freezer that turns water to ice in like 5 minutes........I could go on forever
I'm purple down

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »
You guys ever wonder why we love ice in our mixed drinks but will not tolerate it in beer?

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »
You guys ever wonder why we love ice in our mixed drinks but will not tolerate it in beer?

you could make a fortune brewing concentrated, ice-readytm beer.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
This post did not get enough attention. I have so many questions:
How did he get into the ice business, are you heir to an ice kingdom, is it just a giant freezer and they put the ice into little bags, who wants to work in this giant freezer, does he own ice trucks, how do they make ice on an industrial level, do they have a super freezer that turns water to ice in like 5 minutes........I could go on forever

Worked in the packaged ice business in Wichita, eventually said eff it, I can do this better than these assholes. If we end up inheriting the business, I would just sell it off, it's an owner/operator type biz...too many hours (would be worth a pretty nice chunk of change though). They have a giant ice making apparatus that freezes water into sheets very quickly (not totally sure on number of minutes, but it's fast). When the sheets drop, they break, and then an auger breaks the ice into smaller pieces and shuttles it onto a conveyor belt where it's separated into seven/twenty pound portions and dropped into bags. So, the machine does most of the work, but he hires a bunch of migrant workers to put the bags on pallets and then move them into cold storage rooms at the plant. Then his drivers ride out in his fleet of trucks to carry all this beautiful ice to an adoring public.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline highway61

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »
High school physics teacher once explained that how if water didn't turn to ice at normal temperatures and expand then life on Earth never would have started.  I don't remember the explanation, but I have always appreciated ice ever since.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2014, 10:45:07 PM »

boorrrrringggg

Yeah, a little TMI about ice. I just know it goes well in my drinks. Good enough for me.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 09:12:32 AM »
There used to be ice houses along creeks by small towns back in the early 1900s or whatever. that's so crazy.  :users:   <- but with ice
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:47 AM »
my college job was working at the early (pre?!) 1900s ice house in mhk

if i could get paid doing that what i get paid now, i would do that forever.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »
Ice makes cold drinks even better.  Pour a can of Pepsi over ice even though it's already been chilling in the fridge?  You're damn right I do.

Is your aluminum can of High Life getting a bit too toasty?  Pour that sucker in a glass with cubes of solid water and rescue your refreshment.

Just for this Spracne I'm going to have a beer over ice this weekend and enjoy it!!

Promise me you'll use my slogan - Rescue your Refresment! - when you do it.

I poured a can of Busch Light over ice yesterday.  By the time I got to the end of it there was almost no beer taste whatsoever.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »
Sometimes my kids will eat crushed ice and think its a treat. Its just water, like, the healthiest thing around.