Author Topic: USC's new John McKay Football Center . . .  (Read 1284 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
USC's new John McKay Football Center . . .
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:39:28 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/19859149/images-of-uscs-new-john-mckay-center

USC is pretty much the last (ultra conservative) traditional power to build a facility like this . . . Until Michigan made massive improvements in their facilities a few years ago, they didn't even have a varsity dressing room big enough to house every player on the team.   

There's one last major conference hold out on really beefing up their football facilities, and that's UCLA .  . . which are horrible. 

But you know guys, really nice facilities promote softness, and a "you've already made it so don't work hard" ethic. 

Gosh, look at Oklahoma State, I mean they're only 41-11 since they (re)opened T. Boone Pickens Stadium.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: USC's new John McKay Football Center . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:18:43 PM »
 :love: :love: :love:

Absolutely incredible, hope we hire the guys who designed and built that to do some of the phases in our stadium upgrade

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
How do the SEC facilities look?  Like Auburn, Bama, LSU, Florida?  I'd always heard that LSU and UF had shitty stadiums but I have no experience with any of those facilities.  Have pretty everybody done substantial work on their facilities fairly recently?  How is the Coliseum these days?  I've always heard it was pretty shitty, as well.  Is it mostly upstart type programs doing the expansive renos (Like OSU and Oregon) or is it pretty well everyone?  Serious questions here, i could look it up myself but I'm assuming Dax already knows these answers.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:53:42 AM »
All the SEC schools have made huge facility upgrades . . . really the only laggard is Vandy and they just remodeled a bunch of stuff, and are building an indoor facility.    The difference with Vandy is that their athletic department is part of a department on campus, Recreation I believe.   So for example their indoor facility will be multi-purpose and used by regular students as well.    Which really isn't that big a deal if you think about it. 

Like I said, there's really only 1 AQ conference school that hasn't invested much money into their facilities and that's UCLA, which has UCLA football fans pretty upset with their AD.   Many of the hardcore fans want UCLA to build an on campus stadium, but they're afraid the upscale Westwood community won't go for it.   Which is kind of absurd because it's only 6-8 weekends a year.

The thing with K-State is . . . you have to look at Vanier like you look at the Dev now.   Sure, it was a pretty nice, almost impressive facility when it was first built and for a few years after that, but now you see it really is time to take the next step into Elite Status.   Problem is the amount of money spent on piecemeal Vanier upgrades means what what was really needed back in 2003 will have to wait for 4 or 5 more years. 

As a follower of this, I used the conservative traditional football powers as a gauge.   Once they finally felt the squeeze, and moved beyond just their name, then it was going to be time for a school like K-State to look seriously at the next big step.    The LA Coliseum may be a dump, but USC players only have to deal with it a few times a year. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
a lot of people talk crap on the coliseum but i love it.  also, the vendors have great food. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:18:01 AM »
a lot of people talk crap on the coliseum but i love it.  also, the vendors have great food.
It would be great if we played a home and away series with them.  :drool:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:20:30 AM »
no doubt about it, katdaddy, no doubt about it

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
Fans who went to the first series still talk about it, like it was yesterday.  I missed both games, but by golly, I won't miss another opportunity.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
Fans who went to the first series still talk about it, like it was yesterday.  I missed both games, but by golly, I won't miss another opportunity.
I went to both games. On the road it was a good game. At home, it was awesome and something I will never forget.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »
I went to both games. On the road it was a good game. At home, it was awesome and something I will never forget.
I hear about it from guys like you all the time, you lucky basstard.  Love to see Lane get some of what Pete got.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:09:02 AM »

yeah, that.