Author Topic: GPC home improvement thread of the day: Asbestos guy in manhattan?  (Read 6097 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Need to get some wallboard looked at to see if I'm huffing some fibers.  Anyone know a guy? 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: GPC home improvement thread of the day: Asbestos guy in manhattan?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »
Need to get some wallboard looked at to see if I'm huffing some fibers.  Anyone know a guy?

wallboard....as in drywall or like transite? 

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »

Jeez, might need to look for an oncologist as well as an asbestos tester.  Oh and one of those law firms with the asbestos lung cancer TV commercials.    :sdeek:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:04:22 PM »

wallboard....as in drywall or like transite? 

not my pic but my walls look almost exactly like this

Jeez, might need to look for an oncologist as well as an asbestos tester.  Oh and one of those law firms with the asbestos lung cancer TV commercials.    :sdeek:
than I can sue my FIL, its the American way!
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »
Looks like gyp with something laminated on it.  Prob full of lung cancer.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:27:04 PM »
interesting.   I've never seen anything quite like that.

Anyways, Associated Insulation in Manhattan could test it for you.    As far as I know in Kansas so long as you are the homeowner, you need not have it professionally remediated.       

Depending on how old the house is (and based on that stuff I'm guessing pre-1978) there is also trace amounts of asbestos in any drywall taping mud as well (2-3%).    Now, since it has been encapsulated by paint, the risk is less.   If you are vigilant about being careful during removal, and use a sprayer to wet down the material as you go, you won't see a significant health risk IMHO.      This is assuming you are doing something small like remodeling a bathroom.     Put up plastic, keep negative pressure by putting a fan in a window, go to work.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
interesting.   I've never seen anything quite like that.

Anyways, Associated Insulation in Manhattan could test it for you.    As far as I know in Kansas so long as you are the homeowner, you need not have it professionally remediated.       

Depending on how old the house is (and based on that stuff I'm guessing pre-1978) there is also trace amounts of asbestos in any drywall taping mud as well (2-3%).    Now, since it has been encapsulated by paint, the risk is less.   If you are vigilant about being careful during removal, and use a sprayer to wet down the material as you go, you won't see a significant health risk IMHO.      This is assuming you are doing something small like remodeling a bathroom.     Put up plastic, keep negative pressure by putting a fan in a window, go to work.
yeah....about that.....

House I believe was built in '38 (I'm on Bertrand).  I cut up part of the wall board a couple years ago to put in a new surround.  Never even though of asbestos.  Googled it and the example pics are exactly what I've got.  I was wearing a shitty basic mask too.  I figure I'll get it tested to see what the deal is.  The entire first floor is made of the stuff so its an issue if we wan to do anything in this house.  The kitchen needs some reworking, but I would like to know if I can get into the walls to run new plumbing or if that is essentially a no go. 

I'll give them a call Mikey and see what they have to say, appreciate it.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »
yeah....about that.....

House I believe was built in '38 (I'm on Bertrand).  I cut up part of the wall board a couple years ago to put in a new surround.  Never even though of asbestos.  Googled it and the example pics are exactly what I've got.  I was wearing a shitty basic mask too.  I figure I'll get it tested to see what the deal is.  The entire first floor is made of the stuff so its an issue if we wan to do anything in this house.  The kitchen needs some reworking, but I would like to know if I can get into the walls to run new plumbing or if that is essentially a no go. 

:surprised:   If you give me cancer, i'll sue your ass.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
Its likely drywall with cement based plaster coating.  It was popular in the 30's and early 40's replacing lathe and plaster.   Doubt it's harmeful.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »

and AIDS.   :runaway:
@mikec2w

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »

and AIDS.   :runaway:
should I chug nair and brake fluid? 

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »
yeah....about that.....

:surprised:   If you give me cancer, i'll sue your ass.
:eye: