Author Topic: Backpacking Europe  (Read 4259 times)

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
Backpacking Europe
« on: May 08, 2011, 09:52:02 PM »
I'm going to Europe for 24 days in June. My mother has planned the trip strictly according to Rick Steves' book recommendations and this has me a bit concerned. I'm looking to goEMAW for some advice/tips to make the most of this experience.

Destinations include Amsterdam, Munich, Salzburg, somewhere in Switzerland, Florence, Cinque Terra, Rome, Paris, and some town in the Normandy region.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Backpacking Europe
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »
I've heard Prague is badass.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:59:40 PM »
try to be the brokest high schooler there
:adios:

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »
Gotta hit the Czech Republic.  Great beer!

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:12:38 PM »
Also-  Europass and hostels.  It ain't glam but it'll do the trick.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »
If backpacking europe with mom, you're probably going to have to sneak off, but then you might get in troubs.  Big life choice here.  Is it worse to look lame across Europe with mom or strike it out on your own from hostel to hostel with no money?

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »
If backpacking europe with mom, you're probably going to have to sneak off, but then you might get in troubs.  Big life choice here.  Is it worse to look lame across Europe with mom or strike it out on your own from hostel to hostel with no money?

I'll save Prague for another day. And I think my parents are prepared for how un-sober I'm going to be.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 11:05:17 PM »
Also-  Europass and hostels.  It ain't glam but it'll do the trick.

this is what we are doing. are these trains high speed?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:08:58 PM »
have some dece (one great) tips for rome.

don't be afraid to buy really cheap wine and depending on the country, sometimes beer.  it's fine.  drink cider whenever you can.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 11:31:03 PM »
Trains are fast enough dude.  It's not like you're going very far between stays.

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
purchase incredibly comfortable walking shoes.

You're going all the way to Florence and Rome but can't stop in Venice before it sinks into oblivion.   :nono:

be sure to take a large katpak head and post photos of your travels with it next to you! take videos of you fistpumping to sandstorm with the locals!  (It's practically the universal language over there)

Italian toilets!  Wow!

Rick Steves=BITB

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 04:51:45 AM »
Don't be concerned about Rick Steves, that dude is spot on. Here is some stuff for your time in Italy!!!!.... :party: :party: :party: (some of this might not be applicable if you are going with your mom)

Florence

- Uffizi and Accademia both have brutal lines. I guess there is a way around having to wait in them, but it seemed troublesome and costly for only a slight advantage IMO. Just get up early and get there before the rush. Luckily Florence's center is small enough that you don't have to go out of your way to see how bad the lines are while deciding what to do for the day. On the other hand, if you are mainly in Florence for the architecture, nearly everything is free and more easily accessible.

- There are plenty of great hostels right in the center within walking distance of the train station. We were able to get a nice and clean room pretty easily even in June.

- The clubs are to the east of the Duomo. Mostly small and for the tourists, but they are concentrated so it's easier to have fun/meet people there when compared to a place like Rome where everything is spread out and more likely to focus on local patronage.

- Cross the Arno on foot on the way to Piazzale Michelangelo. The south bank has less tourists and I think it makes for a more authentic, less busy and cheaper way to get a good meal.

- Eat Florentine steak. We took a survey from some locals at our hostel for the best one and they said Il Latini was the place to go. http://www.illatini.com/illatini/virtual-tour
Good lord was it a meal. I'm sure there are other places that are great as well, but it's hard for me to imagine it being better. Traditional 5 courses and a different wine for each  :runaway:.

- Chianti flows like water and is just as cheap.

Cinque Terra

- If you want to hike the trail to each of the five towns, start from the south end at Riomaggiore. It starts off just a smooth stone path with railings and you start to wonder what the big deal about this place is, but once you get past Manarola it starts getting interesting. Stone stairs start ascending and descending hundreds of feet above the coast line. It's actually a good workout especially if you have a backpack on. It's only 10 kilometers of trail, but the villages are unique and take awhile to explore, so you can't do the whole trail in a day. Luckily the InterCity rail stops at each town, so you can hop on and go to wherever your hotel is. Pretty sure a Eurail pass would cover these rides, but if not, keep your eyes peeled for the Carabinieri and stay on the opposite side of the train from the ticket takers. This way you can probably sneak a 10 minute train ride without having to wait 20 minutes in line for a ticket at the depot. (Rick Steves doesn't tell you this nugget of info.)

- Lots of kinds of seafood you can't get in the U.S.. After dinner have some Lemoncello for your "digestivo".

Rome

- For visiting the Colosseum I found out that they let me use the same ticket stub as the one that I had used to get into the Roman Forum. Since there happens to be a separate line for people that already have tickets it saved me a ton of waiting time and I got to walk right in. The ticket booth that I used to enter the Roman Forum was south of the Colosseum on San Gregorino street.

- The line for the Vatican museum/ Sistine Chapel is usually hours long. I thought it was worth it (It is a massive museum), but I was also told that I was there on a good day and that it was usually much longer. If you are going to try it I would set aside a day just for it. You could also maybe squeeze in visiting St. Peters in the morning if you go really early before people show up.

- Rome is really busy; crazy drivers and suicidal scooters. It's dirty and the public transportation system/Metro is comparatively bad. If you have already been basking in the sterile cleanliness of Munich and Switzerland you are going to feel like Rome is third world country in comparison.

- Eat some tiramisu and plan for a 6 euro/day budget for gelato. Seriously I would get like 3 gelatos a day. :lick: So many flavors!

Other Stuff

- I would give some serious consideration to adding Venice as a stop on your trip. It only takes a couple days to really feel like you've explored the city and it is a pretty cool place. I was there in July and never once saw any evidence of tidal or flooding issues even with it raining one evening. Good food. Very picturesque. Not really a lot to do other than explore the maze of streets and chill out at the cafes along the water and people watch. Very relaxing.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »
the toilets in spain have a button in the middle of the top.  you press it and it flushes. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »

You're going all the way to Florence and Rome but can't stop in Venice before it sinks into oblivion.   :nono:

be sure to take a large katpak head and post photos of your travels with it next to you! take videos of you fistpumping to sandstorm with the locals!  (It's practically the universal language over there)

Italian toilets!  Wow!

Rick Steves=BITB

Great advice. I believe we are going to Venice, but I can't say for sure.I will def. try to tag a few landmarks for goEMAW.com.

No toilet paper in Italy still?

Offline kstate16

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 11:19:59 AM »
Might see you around! Hittin up Italy the same time. Too bad you can't visit here in Prague, it's a great city. Also an awesome city to study abroad to, great exchange with Kstate.  But if your with your parents, I would suggest waiting so you can experience what Czech culture is best at : Beer, beer, beer, and hot women.

Safe travels!

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »

tsk tsk, you're mixing your kougisms. :nono:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »

Well, I know Olathe (and specifically the apartments therein) are more badass than Prague, but this threat isn't titled "Backpacking Kansas", is it?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »
fyi - cheez-its have an instant win contest for a free trip to europe.  i just lost.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »

Well, I know Olathe (and specifically the apartments therein) are more badass than Prague, but this threat isn't titled "Backpacking Kansas", is it?

but the olathe post i regret, while the prague posts i certainly do not. :users:  however, i bet the locals there now hate americans after jtksu's visit.

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »

Italian toilets!  Wow!

Rick Steves=BITB

Great advice. I believe we are going to Venice, but I can't say for sure.I will def. try to tag a few landmarks for goEMAW.com.

they have toilet paper, just random destinations have holes in the floor for you to poop into.  It's been so long since I've been there that maybe they retrofitted them with more quality fixtures,  :dunno:

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »

Italian toilets!  Wow!

Rick Steves=BITB

they have toilet paper, just random destinations have holes in the floor for you to poop into.  It's been so long since I've been there that maybe they retrofitted them with more quality fixtures,  :dunno:

i see. my dad was telling me that italians only eat with their right hands because they use their left to wipe. i can probably handle the hole in the floor thing.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
have some dece (one great) tips for rome.

don't be afraid to buy really cheap wine and depending on the country, sometimes beer.  it's fine.  drink cider whenever you can.

thanks. i will be sure to imbibe liters worth of everything they offer.

Offline Booze_Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 04:38:12 AM »
If you are going to hit up Spain, The Alhambra in Granada is awesome, hit up a bullfight (def. a once in a lifetime thing to see) if you go, go to the one in Madrid. I think it's called Las Ventas or something close. I have a ton more, just the highlights if you are going to Spain. PM me if you want more to do there...

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 08:32:19 AM »

but the olathe post i regret, while the prague posts i certainly do not. :users:  however, i bet the locals there now hate americans after jtksu's visit.
I've only heard of the kougs prague posts and as slow as it is on this site, someone needs to dig that crap up and post it on here for all to enjoy.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »

but the olathe post i regret, while the prague posts i certainly do not. :users:  however, i bet the locals there now hate americans after jtksu's visit.
I've only heard of the kougs prague posts and as slow as it is on this site, someone needs to dig that crap up and post it on here for all to enjoy.

eh, they were mostly on ksufans, and i don't think there was any one "infamous" prague post (a la the "badass apartment" incident of 2007)...i just managed to bring prague up a lot (for good reason).

according to Advanced Search, i've only brought up prague one time in the illustrious existence of goEMAW.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:28:58 AM by kougar24 »